Petition to ban the sale of used hand power tools (1 Viewer)

Jan 16, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 854f
Exp
Since 2012
Just listening to Jeremy Vine (🤨) and not wishing to start a big debate around the wider issue, security options etc but please consider signing.

Jun 17, 2015
Portsmouth
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
July 2015 plus 20 years of camping
Absolutely no chance of me signing. I get that tradespeople often get stuff stolen and re-sold and that's sad. But cars get stolen, bikes get stolen, houses get burgled and TVs stolen etc etc. Do we ban all second hand sales of everything?

Banning second had sales of items just because some things get stolen is just crazy and ill-conceived.

May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
Not for me I'm afraid. I want to be able to sell my own legally purchased no longer needed power tools. I often buy something to do one job if the second hand value is near the original purchase price. I get the point, but as usual it's a policy that affects everyone because of a few.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Banning second had sales of items just because some things get stolen is just crazy and ill-conceived.
not banning selling them as a private person with one or two you don't need

but banning selling them at boot sales and markets where there are traders with tables loaded with second hand power tools ..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Not for me I'm afraid. I want to be able to sell my own legally purchased no longer needed power tools. I often buy something to do one job if the second hand value is near the original purchase price. I get the point, but as usual it's a policy that affects everyone because of a few.
no one wants to ban you selling anything.. see my last post. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
In principle yes, but it should not be beyond the wit of manufacturers to batch mark components of the item with same numbers and the purchase of unmarked items/ parts be outlawed.
Mike.

rwg

Sep 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
Benivan 120
Exp
Since 2021
Honestly, I wish these petitions had to have a 'Vote against' button so that those who think the idea is ridiculous could easily put forward their views.

Perhaps we should have a petition that all online petitions had to have a 'vote against' button! The great thing is that that petition wouldn't have a vote against button... :D

cheers,

Robin

15isto2

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 27, 2018
Funster No
"The Government has no plans for such a sales ban"
Quite possibly the most sensible government response ever.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Maybe in the olden days, before Facebook and other online for sale places. Not to mention dodgy pubs.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
My Dad has not long passed away and I was trying to organise a car boot sale for all his “garage” items. Like most sons I do have everything he has; and more🙄. Seeing a few boot sales around where he lives in Bucks, most say no power tool without receipts. Ridiculous for a solo seller to be blanket banned.
Suppose I’ll have to look into somewhere else now.

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
I won't be signing it either, very often the tools get stolen because the tradesman does not take sufficient precautions, my son in law company runs 5 fully equipped vans all Thatcham alarmed, extra locks etc and has never had equipment stolen.
Plus I doubt that many are sold by thieves at car boot sales where the owner might turn up and be able to identify them.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I was lucky, in all the time I worked I never had a van broken in to. I did take my hand tools indoors every night but the power tools stayed in the van. Before vans came with solid rear doors the firm I worked for, had the glass removed and the doors fitted with welded panels. This was after a van had the glass smashed and the power tools taken, the thieves returned a month later and did it again.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back