LIFE MEMBER
Jun 16, 2016
Herts
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Where is the best place to get new number plates made up. Halfords is the obvious choice, but are there suppliers with better quality or better prices?

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
=
Thanks for all your replies,(y)
See I never even thought about the insurance, will give them a ring tomorrow before I make up my mind.
If all eslse fails I may go down the "deed poll" route.

Any suggestions for YN--EHU.:LOL:
Never know, we could start the next new trend.:whistle:

You Need Electic Hook Up

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 16, 2016
Herts
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Two nights ago I bought a new number from DVLC. Today the V750 came which means the number belongs to me. Instead of sending that to DVLC along with the original V5, I went online and typed in the old number, new number and code from the 2 forms. That instantly allocated the new number to our MoHo. Then I just had to call the insurance and Tracker company and pop down to Halfords to buy the plates. The only cost in addition to the figure on the DVLC site was £15 admin for the insurance and about £40 for Halfords - though I could have got them cheaper on eBay. It was all very easy and quick!

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
From a seriously interested, and intrigued, point of view, what is the actual object or 'personalised plates'? :/

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Apart from the "I can so I will aspect" when you have three vehicles it's easier to remember the reg number, particularly when using number plate ticket machines.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
From a seriously interested, and intrigued, point of view, what is the actual object or 'personalised plates'? :/

Older and 'name' plates can be investments..... just like any other............ stamps :Eeek:....antiques :Eeek:(old sh*t) ......

In other words if anyone is daft enough to buy something that is totally useless (except to them)......... good luck to them............... they're happy

......and someone else makes a few bob to spend................ on their 'cra*p'.....................(y)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The only additional cost is that of the physical number plates...
All the rest is included in the DVLA fee. You might want to factor in your time and a possible visit to the nearest DLVA office for transfer of RFL details, but that's all - unless it's changed in the last three years
:)
One thing which has changed.....there are no DVLA offices anymore.
Everything is done at Swansea.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I dealt at Peterborough as well. The dealer wanted my plate off the van beforehand so at Tuesday 1700hr I applied online to change the plate for my present van. I had the authority through on the Thursday and the dealer sent the new plates which arrived the following day at the same time as the new v5 from DVLA. DVLA very efficient.

Yes it is amazing how efficient the money making number plate business is & how quickly they can turn around the paperwork online. It is a pity that what they are actually there to do is an unmitigated disaster & a scandal in this day & age.

When I had my number (A1 4 KOF) on my motorbike, I was stopped by a community police officer for having an obscene number plate. I had to present my insurance to the local Nick. And I hadn't notified my insurance company! Luckily they just confirmed it was the correct vehicle and all was OK.
Just a cross between a lollipop lady & a traffic warden. Waste of space & money.

Feb 14, 2009
Chandlers Ford, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner TD700 H L
Exp
Since 2008
I am on a site and surprised how many vehicles have their number plates with the names of the couple included..such as Stan and Mavis etc...some even include a surname. These range from professionally made to home made with stickers or labels. I would be worried that this advertises that they are away easy search of Internet could find and address or lead to cloning :rolleyes:

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
Apart from the "I can so I will aspect" when you have three vehicles it's easier to remember the reg number, particularly when using number plate ticket machines.
I rarely remember the number of the car I am driving because of the number I have access to but every one has a convenient reminder on the front and back and all I have to do is look at either end of the car before putting that number into the machine. The system works well I feel.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I rarely remember the number of the car I am driving because of the number I have access to but every one has a convenient reminder on the front and back and all I have to do is look at either end of the car before putting that number into the machine. The system works well I feel.

The car is not always within sight in a car park, or elsewhere when you are asked for your number.

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Oh yes; but what do you do when one's number plate LOOKS personalised, but it ain't! My car plate ends in 'OAP' and I'm fed up with it.
Laugh that one off when someone shouts, "Your f*****g number plate suits you mate!"

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Where is the best place to get new number plates made up. Halfords is the obvious choice, but are there suppliers with better quality or better prices?

https://www.myshowplates.com/index.asp

I have used them many times, 24 hour delivery, and excellent quality I believe a basic set front/rear are about £12.00. either way you won't find better quality/service/price anywhere.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I don't see the point in many things people do to 'personalise' their cars or motorhomes - but I understand that 'personalisation' enhances the ownership experience so why not.
I quite like a personalised number plate - for several reasons - so why not, I'm not harming anyone else's enjoyment of their van.

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
All fees from purchasing Dvla plates are in the quoted price I bought some a few weeks ago with my initials and my wifes.

Tony A.

Oct 17, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
40 years caravanning. New A-class Moho owners
To make you look like you have money or hide the age of your van. Skint people can't normally afford private plates.
That's why you see coaches with Irish plates. So you don't know how old it is ! ;)
Our new MH will be on an '11' plate with our initials either side. Only means something to us. My car bears the same reg without the first letter.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back