Paying to use French Aires (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We were at Honfleur a few years ago it was 7 euros then, packed in like sardines and didn’t dare think what would happen if there was a fire. There was multiple connections to every ehu. The toilet emptying point was overflowing and running down the site. I would rather pay a few extra euros and go on an ACCI site.
Honfleur is one on its own and no way can you compare it with any other Aire.
But as you say , always full so some must like it.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
We were at Honfleur a few years ago it was 7 euros then, packed in like sardines and didn’t dare think what would happen if there was a fire. There was multiple connections to every ehu. The toilet emptying point was overflowing and running down the site. I would rather pay a few extra euros and go on an ACCI site.
ASCI not available in high season summer months!!

We hardly ever use sites on Aires/Stellplatz and like a lot of folks on here like a free one but use CCP if it is in the area we are visiting. Generally they represent fair value compared to most, EHU, WiFi, black and grey waste and fresh water included, the water services cost €2-€4 elsewhere, EHU anywhere from €3-€7 on both sites and Aires/Stellplatz. Like others we do not need EHU but use it if available in the price to charge a few things we cannot on 12v and of course run fridge and hot water/heating.

This year on a CCP in France (Montalivet) next to a site. The site had a special offer of €15 a night for MH which went up to €20 early July and goes even higher later in the month. On the CCP Aire €10.60 right next door with all services thrown in so good value to be where we wanted to be. Safe and secure as you can be but of course no showers, entertainment, swimming pool etc. which we would not use anyway.

One thing we have found in Germany is that you pay for everything, very few free Stellplatz we have found and EHU always seems extra (few sites included), water charged by the litre and some EHU by the kw.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We have stayed on a few CCP places and generally like them. As far as we are concerned they have all the features of a site that we actually use (Don't use showers toilets restaurant entertainment etc) and a decent sized pitch at a far lower price.
Theres the odd one that's not so good. Argeles sur mer is just a partitioned bit of a car park though still the same price as much nicer ones.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I did say some?,but personaly,,just my view but i cannot understand why someone will pay 50 grand plus for a van..i wouldnt and could not afford too ,but many can and do then begrudge paying a few euros or other currency for somewhere to park for the night safely. Probably some have found a way to take their money with them but i came into this world with nowt and i am sure i will leave with nowt..Just hate tightness.BUSBY..Sorry no offence.?
Easy as I've said many times, Motorhome came out of hard earned savings, running it comes our of our pensions.

Met you last year now where was it, oh yes on a free Aire. :ROFLMAO:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
OK Honfleur is busy but it's a nice town, so I'll suffer the Aire if want to visit the town.
With the Aire I can arrive at 5 pm leave the next day at 4 pm and it will cost €11, if I stay at the campsite to do the same will cost me €44.80. Also if I wanted to arrive in the morning they won't let me in, no problem at the Aire.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Easy as I've said many times, Motorhome came out of hard earned savings, running it comes our of our pensions.

Met you last year now where was it, oh yes on a free Aire. :ROFLMAO:
Nothing wrong with a free aire but on the other hand if I have to pay I will do and not moan about it as long as it's clean and provides me with black and Gray waste disposal and fresh water. Rubbish disposal is also handy.,BUSBY,??

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
That's why we don't bother with the UK much easier to drive 20 miles (just to rub it in) and hop on a ferry. :ROFLMAO:
All right for you buggers living near the ferry ports??..four and a half hours of British roads for us but that is the punishment for living in sub tropical Derbyshire.vodaphone ??.BUSBY.

Dec 5, 2017
York, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Almost approaching average
For us it’s simple. We like the free aires because they are in the villages we want to see and visit - but - we need to empty the loo or charge up or fill the water. We are then delighted to pay say a tenner to do this ( including the camping fee of course) before we head off for the next two or three freebies. What’s not to like about this method? Those providing the services get paid, we get a very cheap but easy fortnight. I don’t owe them and they don’t owe me. Simples.

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Once we paid €2.50 to park on an aire de campingcar … could've gone another 300m to park free but the view over the sea wasn't quite as good, and the walk to the sea was 10mt + instead of 2mt.… The aire in the next village to us is free, with elec. & water incl.. In our own village we can park anywhere for nothing too, same as all over the country. If we want to stay anywhere for more than a night or two we use a camping, which is a holiday destination as opposed to an aire de campingcar which is a stopover. The last one we stayed on for four nights, €60, with all facilities, hookup, shops, food, laundry etc and on the dunes & beach. So wouldn't pay €15 to park when there are far more free places. :/

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back