Parkin Ticket (1 Viewer)

Nov 10, 2019
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2011
BE AWARE - apologises for lots of words…..

I received a parking ticket in Bournemouth in August last year. I was parked under the “motor car, motor cycle” pictorial signage which I was aware of and thought my van at less than 3050KG unladen was classed as a motor car re the 1984 road traffic act section 136 (2) (a)

I appealed the ticket on 3 occasions with the BCP authority and finally went to an independent Traffic Penalty Tribunal where both side provide evidence and a lawyer/barrister adjudicates and gives a final decision.

I was aware that I was reliant on the wording within act particularly “…….if it is constructed solely for the carriage of passengers and their effects….”

The lawyer whilst believing that I fully believed I was able to park, found that my vehicle did not come under the description as it was not SOLELY for the carriage of passengers but also adapted as a mobile place of accommodation.

I visit Bournemouth a lot with the motorhome and there is significant signage like this to prevent motorhome parking, and no identified motorhome parking on their website. I am in the process of drafting a letter to a range of BCP councillors asking why they do not want motorhomes visiting or spending their money in the local economy. I wait for responses!!!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

I received a parking ticket in Bournemouth in August last year. I was parked under the “motor car, motor cycle” pictorial signage which I was aware of and thought my van at less than 3050KG unladen was classed as a motor car re the 1984 road traffic act section 136 (2) (a)

I appealed the ticket on 3 occasions with the BCP authority and finally went to an independent Traffic Penalty Tribunal where both side provide evidence and a lawyer/barrister adjudicates and gives a final decision.

I was aware that I was reliant on the wording within act particularly “…….if it is constructed solely for the carriage of passengers and their effects….”

The lawyer whilst believing that I fully believed I was able to park, found that my vehicle did not come under the description as it was not SOLELY for the carriage of passengers but also adapted as a mobile place of accommodation.

I visit Bournemouth a lot with the motorhome and there is significant signage like this to prevent motorhome parking, and no identified motorhome parking on their website. I am in the process of drafting a letter to a range of BCP councillors asking why they do not want motorhomes visiting or spending their money in the local economy. I wait for responses!!!
I fear you may be throwing good money after bad:(

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
I'd be interested to see a picture of the van in question. Thanks.

Nov 28, 2007
Funster No
There is no doubt there is huge discrimination against motorhomes in the UK, I am very surprised the big two caravan clubs have not taken up the fight or the manufactureres as it is definitely against their interests. We pay our rod tax and probably more fuel tax than the ordinary car so why the discrimination.
Is it jealousy or what, councils are definitely anti motorhome but to me that just shows how short sighted they are.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
I think that councils don't like motorhomes because they think that they all belong to our travelling friends and they don't want a camp out in their towns and lots of stealing from the local shops.

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009

To what use were you putting the MH on the day you were given the ticket?

OP
OP
The Freeminer
Nov 10, 2019
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2011
Dorset Driver.
I was using the vehicle to visit the beach at West Overcliffe, we were staying on the kingstone Lacy Cl.

Oct 14, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-line I4.9
Exp
Since 2018
The Freeminer why don’t you take a look at www.CAMpRA.co.uk and give them the info they might take it up and approach the council? They are a great bunch of folk trying to promote Motorhome parking😊👍
Agreed - a geat bunch of folk trying to make a difference for us all. The website is www.campra.org.uk and they have a Facebook page too.

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
When we had the trailer tent I parked in Helmsley to visit the castle. I parked the car in the only space and pushed the trailer on the grass behind the car. A jobs worth car park attendant started telling me I couldn’t camp on the grass. When I said it was the only place to park it he say I had to wait until a space was free and move it making sure I payed for parking.
As instructed I waited for a space leaving the kids and management to visit the castle. The jobs worth came past every half an hour. I was quite happy to sit in the sun watching people come and go. I never did get chance to move the trailer.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I live within the BCP area, and even residents can't get any sense or indeed response from the current council. They only exist to make money and parking is a massive amount of income to their funds. They vigorously pursue any fines and have zero interest in providing parking near the beaches for larger vehicles. The only exception used to be the Boscombe overcliff but not any more. They even banned all vehicle traffic along there for months as a trial of pedestrian and cycle route only

An horrendous council to have to work or communicate with

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I have to say if restricted to using my motorhome in the UK, it would go no hesitation. The xenophobia and blatant discrimination is palpable.
The only "descent people go on holiday booked by a travel agent" prevails.
This attitude permeates thought our society it seems.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Which bit did you think I didn't read
This bit...........

At no time did the OP state that he had parked where signage stated "No Parking", as he genuinely believed that his vehicle, (weighing in at an unladen weight of 3050kgs), complied with the signage displayed.

Whilst I accept that ignorance of the law is no excuse, there but for the grace of God go I..................and many others no doubt, due to the unladen weight of the vehicle.

If it says no parking don't park simples!!!!!
Whilst that is your opinion which you are entitled to, sadly your post was neither helpful, nor useful in any way to the OP. :(

Regards,

Jock. :)

Sep 9, 2019
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 632
Exp
Since Sept 2019

Pedantry requires me to point out that your vehicle has been constructed solely to carry passengers and their effects, it has no baring on what those passengers can actually do in the vehicle. The council may argue that you can sleep and cook and go to the toilet in the vehicle, but you are still a passenger in said vehicle and as such are being carried in it. The lawyer’s adjudication seems to be very subjective....

Cheers!

Russ

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s

So would one's Rolls-Royce, with its fitted mini-bar, mini-desk, internet connection and TV be allowed to park in a space reserved for what I believe is known colloquially as a 'motor car'. I'm asking for a friend's chauffeur.

OP
OP
The Freeminer
Nov 10, 2019
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2011
Russ... At the tribunal hearing I argued that point. The lawyer said that my vehicle was not Soley for the the carriage of passengers as it has been modified to allow living in on a temp or permanent basis.
I knew when I appealed it would be determined by the interpretation of soley.... I got it wrong...

Sep 9, 2019
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 632
Exp
Since Sept 2019
Who was the tribunal with? The Parking Ombudsman? I took a parking ticket, received in Manchester, to the Parking Ombudsman and it was cancelled and the Council reprimanded for unreasonable behaviour and harassment, and told to issue a written apology to me.

OP
OP
The Freeminer
Nov 10, 2019
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2011
Auto router yes, I argued that I could park my car, drink coffe from a flask, eat fidh and chips from the local take away and therefore would not be using my car soley for passengers. That arguement did not work either..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back