P211172 Throttle Valve open blocked - Actuator stuck open (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jan 5, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van
Exp
15 yrs
Hi Folks

I have a 2012 Ducato 2.3 manual. Today I took her out after a month or so of not using her. The engine management light came on amber. Switched off and restarted 6 times, Not sure why but I think I heard that somewhere. Anyway it didn't make an difference. The vechicle appears to still run ok.

I have an Autel scanner so ran that and have the above message. Any clues please? How can I fix it?

Thanks
Chris

OP
OP
C
Jan 5, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van
Exp
15 yrs
Yes just tried to clear it but it is still there.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
When you switch off the ignition, jump out and listen to the engine bay. After a few seconds, you should hear a clack as the throttle body snaps closed. If you can hear this, and it's a nice sharp sound and not a strained whine, then it's probably fine.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
There are several possibilities that may have instigated the fault code, one being that the accelerator pedal position sensor may have thrown a wobbly.
Doing a recalibration of this costs nothing so is worth a try.

Switch the ignition on without starting your van and slowly push the accelerator pedal down taking about ten seconds to get to full throttle, then slowly bring up the accelerator pedal to the off position taking about ten seconds again, now switch off the ignition from five seconds, then turn the ignition back on and if the EML light has not gone out by itself then try clearing the code again with your scanner.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
C
Jan 5, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van
Exp
15 yrs
Great thanks! I will try that tomorrow in the day light. I have a clutch claw so now wonder if i may have knocked something on the accelertor putting it on.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Check for full movement of the throttle pedal. I once had a coach revving it's guts out, found an errant "sweetie" stuck under the pedal. Bloody kids!

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Do you have the older or newer style of throttle body. The old are know to be poop.

Just for your information, although they are called throttle bodies, they are not connected to the accelerator at all, the only job they do is to, in a very basic way, restrict air intake. They do this for two reasons. 1 is to make a smooth shut down, and the other is so that they can suck rubbish in from the exhaust manifold via the egr valve.

The throttle body is easy to see under the bonnet, and you can easily see if it is physically stuck open with just removing a hose.

OP
OP
C
Jan 5, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van
Exp
15 yrs
Dont know if it is an old one or new style one. It is on a 2012 model.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
C
Jan 5, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van
Exp
15 yrs
There are several possibilities that may have instigated the fault code, one being that the accelerator pedal position sensor may have thrown a wobbly.
Doing a recalibration of this costs nothing so is worth a try.

Switch the ignition on without starting your van and slowly push the accelerator pedal down taking about ten seconds to get to full throttle, then slowly bring up the accelerator pedal to the off position taking about ten seconds again, now switch off the ignition from five seconds, then turn the ignition back on and if the EML light has not gone out by itself then try clearing the code again with your scanner.
Thanks for that. Regrettably it did not work.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Put a picture on of the throttle body any I will tell you if new or old.

As is said before you can just remove the air intake pipe and see the flap of the TB. If you have the newer one you can also buy/exchange parts of it. The old style you couldn’t and had to change the complete unit. And that is a complete pain.

OP
OP
C
Jan 5, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van
Exp
15 yrs
Landy Andy photo below. I also have noticed that there is water coning through and running down onto the TB.

I see you are in Herts. Whereabouts?

Throttle body.jpeg water ingress.jpeg

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Landy Andy photo below. I also have noticed that there is water coning through and running down onto the TB.

I see you are in Herts. Whereabouts?

View attachment 712835 View attachment 712836
You have the newer and better version made by Magneti Marelli. Si if required you can swap parts about rather than dismantling front of van and having to remove entire unit, which always involves the bolts breaking in the cylinder block.

You can remove the rubber pipe attached to the TB on the left and then, probably with mirror, look through the TB and see what the TB valve is physically doing. It should be fully open (95%), and then when you switch of engine it should shut to 5% stay like that for 1 min then open again.

Water running across can obviously cause problems with the unit and it’s connection’s.

I’m near Hertford. Shout if you need help 👍🏻

Andy.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back