Overnight in car park in New Forest (1 Viewer)

arto stu

Free Member
Aug 29, 2017
Farnborough
Funster No
MH
Niesmann Bischoff Arto 69
Exp
Im a newbie
This may have been answered but a quick search could not find anything so here goes...

I am in the New Forest in a free car park... there is a sign saying no camping... but nothing about time limits... can I just sleep in the van as long as I dont put anything out like an awning?... if I just left a car there unattended would I be breaking some law

Assuming I did has anyone had experience of being "moved on"... forest is very quite this time of year :)

Any advice gratefully received

Stu

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
the only 'real' answer would come from the owner of the signage

we wouldn't overnight where it says no camping, but some would, it will almost certainly offend a few that see you parked there if you do

https://www.campingintheforest.co.uk/england/new-forest

these are all under £20 / night and would be my choice (y) although not all open still most are I think

Upvote 0
OP
OP
arto stu

arto stu

Free Member
Aug 29, 2017
Farnborough
Funster No
MH
Niesmann Bischoff Arto 69
Exp
Im a newbie
Thanks... I know I just spent a fortune on the van... but somehow £20 for "nothing" seems wrong... on the forest the "parking is nothing other than a bit of cleared land... but i get your point

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
You'll probably be moved on. The verderers are very much against people staying overnight.
If you don't want to go to a site you could always just park up in a village. I slept in the motorhome in Sway a couple of times.

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
It isn't allowed.

Having said that, in winter we frequently leave home after the evening rush hour, and arrive in the forest after dark, and stay on a car park until morning, when we check in to a booked campsite. There is a particular car park near Setthorns which is partially screened from the road, and once in about 30/40 times have we been queried. That was by a friendly but slightly officious police officer, who freely admitted he had just transferred from Southampton city centre. Once he saw our booking he was fine. I think the Forest Rangers may be more vigilant in summer, but if there is no sign of camping activity you should be OK. Again, with us, since the C&CC have taken over the forest sites, and because we live within 90mins or so we nearly always leave the site at eviction time, and spend the rest of the day in a car park rather than pay what I consider an extortionate fee to use an otherwise empty pitch.

Malcolm

Upvote 0
Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I would not do it, I think a No Camping sign is reasonably clear, don't stay overnight. Agree the sites are a complete rip off and only Setthorns is open in winter, which is not the best.

It is a part of the country where they have the land and the demand for a proper automated all year round Camping Car Aire.

Upvote 0

ColinandDawn

Free Member
Feb 20, 2012
England
Funster No
MH
Home Brew
Exp
Yes
Hello @arto stu

Overnights are strictly prohibited within the New Forest National Park.

You could consider a pub stopover for the nght - perfectly legal.

The ones I am aware of are;

The Filly Inn
Lymington Rd,
Brockenhurst,
01590 623449

The Crown Stirrup
Clayhill,
Lyndhurst
02380 282339

The Swan Inn
Bournemouth Road
Lyndhurst
023 8028 2203

New Forest Inn
Emery Down,
Lyndhurst
02380 284690

All these pubs have in the past allowed overnighting in their car park.

Just phone ahead to ensure it will be ok.

I live just down the road in Lymington, so whilst I have eaten in each of these pubs, I have not stayed over in my camper.

I do remember one Funster overnighted at The Filly, I never name names, but he may live in Fareham...

Regards,

Upvote 0

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
When we were down there last week we had a night at the Crown Stirrup

Nice old pub with a good walk at the back if you have a dog (y)

There were some interesting people in the pub when I went in :)

Upvote 0
Jun 1, 2016
Ferndown, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Laika Kreos 4009
Exp
Since early 90's
The Cider Pantry @ Burley is a night/pubstop type place, great cider, great cafe for breakfast and Burley is a lovely place to wander around :)

Upvote 0

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Lived and played in the forest for over 30 years. You may well be moved along, but it will depend on which car park you are on. Janesmoor is probably the most tolerated car park, as you have 2 areas and well away from the road. Sites are not that expensive if you want to use them and Ocknell is still open and may well be the cheapest. If the rangers move you on, do not think "i can move down the road and that will be the end of it". I have been the wrong end of that stick many a time. Car parks are that and no overnight is allowed. It will of course depend on the ranger. I would opt for the Filly inn or another pub, The royal oak at Beaulieu or one of he pubs in Lyndhurst.

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600L
Exp
2 Years
Britstops have a number of pubs in the area. I've stayed at The Filly and also a pub in East Boldre. Both friendly and for the price of a meal.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Forget worrying about the police etc moving you on ... you might get egged by the local yobs ... we did!

Upvote 0
Jul 11, 2020
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessoro T486
Exp
Since August 2020
Trip Advisor recommended Denny Wood and Matley Wood near Lyndhurst - but the suggestion online is they are closed for the whole of 2020?

Upvote 0

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
That's a bit of a thread bump ;)

Denny Wood, Matley Wood are all Camping in the Forest Sites. All Camping in the Forest is closed in 2020, they didn't reopen, much to the annoyance of many, including Forestry England who own the land. Some 3000 potential camping pitched lost which the remaining private smaller sites can't make up. Lots of threads on MHF on this.

Wildcamping in the New Forest is illegal. Unless you have found a proper campsite, or have the permission of the private landowner (i.e. publican), you can expect to get moved on.

Upvote 0
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
The only place I've been ejected from. The warden did tell us where could park on somebody's drive though. Top man

Upvote 0

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
There is a very good chance the Agisters, Verderes or Commoners will move you on. They have a very tight grip on the New Forest, try getting planning permission if you are not a 'friend'. There are some lovely huge barn conversions, extensions etc on land owned by those in the know but little for anyone else.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back