Our Regret in buying from the NEC (1 Viewer)

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I was ask to pay £5000 Deposit so they could order the van, It is ok to say don't go ahead with the purchase, but when you have payed 5K to get your money back would be very difficult, and costly, So do you lose your 5K and don't have the van, or do you collect the van and sort out the problems somewhere else?? I really don't know ! But also a bit of a worry is we only brought the van home, We have not used it for camping yet!

You need to be more proactive.

It shouldn't be difficult to get your money back. There are laws in place to protect consumers and give them rights when buying goods and services.

My suggestion to you is that you write everything down in a clear bullet-point list format and take it to a solicitor for advice on how to proceed. It doesn't cost much to get an hour consultation - if you've already got your info written out it shouldn't take longer than that. You'll then need to follow the advice and not be fobbed off or distracted from your course of action by the dealer.

You say you've not even used the vehicle yet and yet you've already had a very unsatisfactory start to ownership of it.

I would seize the moment, get a refund and buy elsewhere.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Sounds so much like that certain company on the A617 Timberland - - -we did take a look in there to do a reconnaissance when we were buying and after a lot of waiting around before eventually being shown around we declined anything they had as they didn't seem to have any knowledge

heard other similar stories - - - -for us would have been great only 2 miles from our home location

Yep, thems the fellas!! As a newbie doing my research and looking I’m glad I didn’t get chatting to anyone there, I could have been roped in (although highly unlikely as the stuff in our price range was looking “well worn”)

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
Yep, thems the fellas!! As a newbie doing my research and looking I’m glad I didn’t get chatting to anyone there, I could have been roped in (although highly unlikely as the stuff in our price range was looking “well worn”)

Yep they had nothing in our price range either despite having lots much older than the one we did buy elswhere - - thank goodness I had 25 years caravan experience any really wet behind the ear newby would be well warned to stay away

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Decide what you want out of this then put it in writing to the dealer.

Neither of you are where you’d rather be but a solution will need to be negotiated between you. Going to court will add unnecessary expense that one or both of you will have to pay (but you may have insurance cover for this, somewhere?).

Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
We bought our Burstner ‘55’ at the NEC, from this company. What a battle we had getting it, and they were asking us to pay up front while it was still in Germany. I also liaised with a Burstner representative who I believe was based in the North East of England. He was helpful, google it.
We collected the van, and during the handover a gentleman in a company jacket was around, we were there for about 5 hours, and it was only in the last few minutes we realised he was the Boss. He knew who we were, and had been monitoring my long long thread on this forum, but never introduced himself.
Luckily we had no problems with the van....
I’m amazed that the company is still operating......

If buying at the N.E.C don’t buy from them.

emo

Free Member
Oct 28, 2015
Funster No
MH
Bursner lyseo
Exp
Since2015
We are really surprised at the reviews about this company. We purchased a new Burstner from them in May of this year At no time was we asked for £5000 deposit just £1000 The dealings we have had with them has been superb nothing has been to much trouble and we can't believe that we are talking about the same company.
We had a slight problem with the garage door and at no time was we fobbed off all of the staff was very helpful
We do feel for you in your major problems but we feel that we do have to respond to this as we cannot fault any part of our dealings with them

OP
OP
RogCar
Apr 18, 2016
Ely, Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 1982
Well you must be the lucky one, Yes you may have brought the one I was promised to collect in May!!! ( Same make,Same model ) I don't very often complain about anything, I really have not got the time and am not the one to write about anything (which I have never done before ) I certainly would not of paid a deposit of £5K, If I could got away with £1k, I am not that well breached!! anyway the problems are not finished yet.!!!

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Oh and on personal experience..... avoid 3A’s in Carmarthen and Cross Hands like the plague.

Useless!

@jdk62
I have to say that I wholeheartedly agree with your statement above - caused us terrible grief, stress, lost a MoHo we really wanted (and paid deposit for) was told ‘fibs’, ignored calls, emails and only when we got to employing legal professionals did we get our deposit back.
The worst experience I have ever received from a ‘dealer’. It appears that we aren’t the only ones - wish I had read their reviews on the internet BEFORE we went there and not afterward... Learned something there.

However, every cloud etc we have now got a better deal from another dealer who we trust and we are happily ‘on the road again’.
Could have done without the experience though.

Regards

Trikeman. ;)

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
If the deposit was kept in an Escrow account that would solve a lot of these problems.
if the deposit was paid with a Visa card you have more of an advantaged position over the issue. It would be the whole amount you paid you should get back from the credit card company not just the deposit ... and maybe any difference a replacement vehicle would be like for like. The dealer would not want to get into a hassle with the credit card company.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
If the deposit was kept in an Escrow account that would solve a lot of these problems.
Deposits are supposed to be deposited into a protected client account by end of next business day.
These are client money rules.
They could be reported if this was not actioned.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Very sad reading stories like these, new vans cost so much money in the first place, but then to collect it weeks/months later than promised and find so many obvious faults, tells me that a proper PDI has not been carried out. Whether the van is rejected now or not, the relationship between both parties, dealer & client has been soured at the onset, which is worrying as there may be other faults and warranty issues that develop and need addressing during the 2 year warranty period.
As for the 5K deposit, I understand how people may be taken in by that, as indeed we paid 4K deposit at The NEC, which us being novices at the time didn't think to query. 4K deposit only represented a small percentage of the vans price and we didn't think that was too much to ask for.
Luckily we had a good dealer, in that due to medical reasons we had to change our order, and ended up with an entirely different van, that cost even more money, but at least the dealer was sympathetic to our changing needs, and has been very professional in all aspects ever since.
They did mention that there are two types of purchase contract, one allows for a sales orders to be taken "off premises" these are for sales orders taken at an exhibitions and not on the dealer premises. These off premises orders. do not apparently, hold as much water legally as one signed "on premises"at the dealers, its part of the consumer credit act, and written accordingly.
Others may know more about that aspect than me, but apparently if gives the purchaser a better chance of changing their mind,cancelling an order, and getting their money back.
I hope all goes well for the OP, and you get the van sorted out, as all of these problems should have never occured in the first place if the dealers were any good.
Les

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I was told when we sent the second letter , if they sold the van for a cheaper price, I would have to pay for the extra's they had fitted. the van has a 5 metre awning, and not a 5.5metre, there are No LED lights on the awning, 2 lights on the overhead bed Do not work, and it just go's on, We have waited so long for the van, we cannot go up to Chesterfield to keep sorting things out, 6 hours driving there and back, We have lost all faith in buying a motorhome from them, and people should be aware, if you want a cup of tea, or a bunch of flowers for spending 70k then don't go to this firm, YOU GET NOTHING, WE DID NOT EVEN GET A THANK YOU!!!
In your first post you say there was no awning, now it seems there is one, but the wrong size. The two lights above the drop down bed operate by pushing the centre of the light, did you try that? The solar panel was the wrong size, but the standard fitment. What else was wrong?
I agree, you were treated dreadfully, but you still need to give the dealer a certain amount of time to rectify any defects before you can even consider rejecting the van.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Never seen a law firm's stand at these NEC shows. It would be handy to get fixed fee advice on the dealer's standard written terms and conditions and what happens to your deposit. What your legal rights would be, and what to do, if delivery dates keep being pushed back. How this affects your trade-in. And so on.

Advice before you sign the Order form and pay anything, obviously. Gap in the market! :whistle:

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Timberland appear to have lost the plot. They are just like the old Brownhills. I had a panel van converted by Timberland when Kevin and his parents did all the work. It was an excellent job but many years and growth have really taken there toll on his original ethics.
Buying at the shows can sometimes be beneficial but other times not. A couple near me bought at the February show only to find a 10% reduction on the same van after the show. Ouch that was £5800 lost.

Oct 7, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
since 1980
Note to ' Pandas ' statement.
You're only protected under section 75 with the credit card if the total transaction is between £100 and £30000. Not as £5000 deposit was paid.
I assume that the motorhome being discussed cost more than £30000 , therefore no section 75 protection.

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
That’s where we’re buying our van from, Paul is picking it up tomorrow. Anything specific he should watch out for?
Go over everything with a fine tooth comb. Ask them to demonstrate everything - heating and hot water controls( get them to hook up the electricity, mak up beds (if you have to use cushions, ), tank access points, lights working throughout, dimming controls and electric steps working, hob and oven if fitted, fridge, check all finishes, door catches, locker handles wood trims, blinds, drain points, shower screens, toilet flush, Cab controls (dashboard lights, heating etc), awning if fitted and check there is a handle for the awning. Location of water pump, if fitted with Alde heating, check glycol level. Check operation of roof lights, extract fans. Service booklets and instruction manuals for all kit (including radio reset code)

Video the handover...

Do not sign for it tomorrow unless you have been demonstrated everything at a pace that helps you understand it and check everything out - don’t let them rush you.... If you find minor issues and desperately want to take the van away on the day, get them to produce a list of defects and confirm a date for rectification. If they have to order in replacements for damaged items, be prepared to chase them constantly to get the ordered parts and a date for fitting.

Whilst we had a very bad experience, I really hope your collection and handover go well and the Motorhome is properly prepared.

Tude

Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Timberland Motorhomes heard nothing but bad news with this company they have been bump a few times they used to be on the a1 near donny .

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I was told when we sent the second letter , if they sold the van for a cheaper price, I would have to pay for the extra's they had fitted. the van has a 5 metre awning, and not a 5.5metre, there are No LED lights on the awning, 2 lights on the overhead bed Do not work, and it just go's on, We have waited so long for the van, we cannot go up to Chesterfield to keep sorting things out, 6 hours driving there and back, We have lost all faith in buying a motorhome from them, and people should be aware, if you want a cup of tea, or a bunch of flowers for spending 70k then don't go to this firm, YOU GET NOTHING, WE DID NOT EVEN GET A THANK YOU!!!
presume its TIMBERLAND,,,BUSBY,,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back