Open Waste (1 Viewer)

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Just been out to walk the dog at the Edinburgh CMC site and it's obvious that a few vans have driven through the site with open waste tanks because of the icy trails on the roads. Makes for slippy walking.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
technically they might be leaking fresh water having dumped the tank if they are on the way home, either way they will no doubt not have thought of the potential consequence o_O

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
How right you are. Thank goodness none of us ever leaves trails when leaving Motorhome Shows.:wub:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
And lucky that campers have a magical device that ensures they don't dump tons of poisonous chemicals into the air :)

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
As said probably fresh, boiler switched off an dump valve open. Waste water with soap grease and other impurities would probably have lower freezing point.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
***NEVER ASSUME*** (though you may be correct)

A copy of my post on the subject.....

We were in Annecy in Summer (Again!)

Due to an electrical fault, our Truma Boiler had started to drop water. I realised this when we pulled into Super U's Car Park. I exited the motorhome to find a big puddle and trail of clean drinking water bleeding down the car park.

Another motorhomer (french registered camping car but could well of been Eastern European as he looked very shifty). Pulled into the car park.

He glared at me, never took his eyes off me, almost walking into the path of cars as he crossed the road to the bakery.
Even whilst waiting for his Baguette (could of been looking for Polish Rye Bread). With his mufty looking Tash ~ he was still staring at me.

He then sat down for a coffee.

We waited and waited to explain to him, that what he thought was filthy water was in-fact clean from his countries lake (assuming he was'nt eastern European and actually French). But he just sat there. Probably thinking "dirty English Pig", probably with Eastern European blood.

When In-fact, My Mother was half French, from Norfolk and my Dad was a Yorkshireman (but does look a bit eastern European in his old black and white photos (despite always working all his life until his very tragic ending)).

TM.

For those who are not up-to speed re my Eastern European references, please read my comments in the post below.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Don't assume it's from motorhomes. I've noted many a caravan dribble a trail as it leaves a site, the owner oblivious of the fact (and probably swift to moan about a Moho doing so). It's quite common not to be able to empty a near-horizontal waste pipes completely, and it's not helped not where dumping locations are not even level themselves.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the worst part of grey waste is not the fat and food matter its the soap, it stinks and leaves a slippery residue. a good friend of mine used to own a launderette and a laundry. he was constantly battling blocked drains and it was always a build up of soap residue, like a foul smelling grey glue

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
the worst part of grey waste is not the fat and food matter its the soap, it stinks and leaves a slippery residue. a good friend of mine used to own a launderette and a laundry. he was constantly battling blocked drains and it was always a build up of soap residue, like a foul smelling grey glue
We changed to liquid washing machine soap years ago after experiencing undisolved soap powder forming huge grey rock like blockage in the underground pipes.

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
On some sites in the UK when asked where to dump my grey waste "on the pitch or on the grass edges have been the response. Seem to remember grand dad telling me soapy water is good for the garden, spray it on the roses kills the little buggers, I think he meant the little creepy crawlies but then, the roses were Grans and they were forever at loggerheads.:):):):):)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Yesterday I took our motorhome through to the FIAT dealer to collect some parts. I had just topped up the fresh water tank ready for a forthcoming trip.

My wife, who was behind me in her car and going shopping, flashed her lights for me to stop and told me that I was losing water on round-a-bouts. I checked but there was no sign of a leak from anywhere.

On checking the freshwater tank gauge I noticed that the indicator was showing three-quarters full. The water must have been ejected through the overflow until it reached its own level and stopped.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Don't assume it's from motorhomes. I've noted many a caravan dribble a trail as it leaves a site, the owner oblivious of the fact (and probably swift to moan about a Moho doing so). It's quite common not to be able to empty a near-horizontal waste pipes completely, and it's not helped not where dumping locations are not even level themselves.

good point about caravans, but the horizontal pipe issue which we nearly all have is so easily resolved by closing the valve o_O

I think this is the main problem, people empty over drains quite correctly, then thinking they are empty drive off with the valve still open, the bottom of the waste tank will inevitably have some content left which will dispense when moving

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Oh you have got to just love a good old "grey waste water" thread , Personally i never have a grey waste water problem as fortunately our valve on the waste tank seems to be broken..........OPEN :reel: :imoutahere:

Jul 10, 2016
hucknall
Funster No
MH
Swift bolero 712sb
Exp
10 years
Some do it without thinking. Like the British guy who went through the barrier at le portel then opened his waste valve and all his lovely stinky water ran down the gully under the parked vans. There's even a large dump area.
He maybe forgot to use this but didn't think where his waste was going to end up.

OP
OP
WillH
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Just watched someone else do it! Not so much worried about the water, it's freezing when it hits the ground.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Next thing you know they will invent rain and the whole road will get wet and start washing cars and driving them off while still wet!!!!!!!

OP
OP
WillH
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Believe me, it ain't going to rain here anytime soon, bloody freezing.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I've lost the plug for mine and can't seem to find them anywhere ...the wee tiny ones
Anyone know what they are called I've tried bung, plug, and stopper with no joy

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
I've lost the plug for mine and can't seem to find them anywhere ...the wee tiny ones
Anyone know what they are called I've tried bung, plug, and stopper with no joy
Available at most DIY shops in France at a fraction of the cost at the MH/wobblebox shops

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015

Soft rinse doesn't help in that regard.....I've switched to using white vinegar instead, now. It's much better.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back