Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
I’m not queuing to use our MH facilities. Mrskevenh can have those.
I’ll take the always on hot water and space in a full size shower the site’s provide :rofl:

edit: somehow it’s still my job to empty grey & black water tho 🤔

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
I'm mix and match.

It depends on the quality and closeness of the facilities.

Touring in Germany, pre-pandemic, we hardly used our onboard facilities as on most German campsites the facilities were superb.
I've seen worse bathrooms in 4 star hotels!

I was in a site at Totness a few weeks back, good facilities, but very dated and being used by many, so did not go in.
Today I'm on a CL in Norfolk, no loo/shower facilities.

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
I've even got a couple of guys at work with big twin axle caravans who only use the onboard facilities for no1's, because they don't want to empty the toilet!
I've never understood why people get so hung up on emptying the loo. It's easy, not at all messy, and not very smelly.
This is what beats me too, women wandering around In candlewick dressing gowns using communal facilities as it it’s a five star resort and they are going to the Spa, when in fact they are visiting a smelly loo…
Er 'women'? On a site I was at last weekend there were just as many men wandering about in pyjamas..!

I used the site facilities exactly once in five days. And they were very clean and not at all smelly. The rest of my stay I used my van's own facilities, but I wouldn't have had any hygiene worries about using the site's showers and loos.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
I used the site facilities exactly once in five days. And they were very clean and not at all smelly. The rest of my stay I used my van's own facilities, but I wouldn't have had any hygiene worries about using the site's showers and loos.
In all my years l have never heard of anyone whose deposits don’t pong ,it’s normal and following someone into a cubicle is best avoided,Just saying.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We’ve got a PVC so the bathroom is small and the shower is just a trigger shower. I have my “camping haircut” these days which helps but Nick and I shower daily. The tank isn’t huge. Whilst we’ve mastered the Navy shower sometimes it’s lovely to have a nice long hot shower without all the fuss and palaver of wiping down the shower cubicle after having fought with the curtain. I wear my crocs to the shower block and then change into flipflops for the shower cubicle. I only use ones I like the look of.

I am double jabbed, remaining pretty cautious but not paranoid. All about balance I think.

Jul 24, 2015
Ramsgate Kent
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato c class
Exp
5 years
I definitely prefer to SIT on my own toilet .
If I'm off pitch and the toilet block is closer I'll use the urinal.

If the showers are nice and clean and hot I'll use those .saves me filling up .

More often than not they're grubby so onboard showers

Jul 26, 2019
Fife, UK
Funster No
MH
McLoius Fusion
Exp
Since 2019
I use our own facilities but OH mostly uses the site facilities. Main reason is to cut down the amount of refilling but also I suspect he enjoys using the site facilities as it brings back memories of his childhood when his parents with 4 kids went camping in their VW. It’s just what he is used to!
if he dares to moan that it is himself that empties the black & grey, I always remind him that it is moi that cleans the bathroom etc at home 😉

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
Whether we use our shower or the ones on site depends on loads of factors: how close we are to the toilet block, what the weather's like, how nice the site showers are, how much water we have & how easy would it be to fill up the tank, whether we are parked level or not (its much easier to shower when level because our shower cubicle is a weird shape and you can only use half the floor because of the protruding wheel arch).
Its the same for the loo: if they're reasonably close and are nice then we'll use them some of the time, but our own is there to be used if we prefer (and a lot of the time I do prefer).

Each to their own.....

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
What a confusing post...So live and let live, but if you have an opinion don't post it as it might offend you. :D :doh:.
There must be a lot of people that understood my post as there are several likes😊 it’s not that they posted an opinion as the way it’s said🤔

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
There must be a lot of people that understood my post as there are several likes😊 it’s not that they posted an opinion as the way it’s said🤔

So these are the posts before yours that prompted your comment.

I'm sitting in me van at Cirencester club sight watching the world go by as you do and it's raining cats & dogs. I'm amazed at the amount of people going to the camp shower block, why do they not use their own onboard facilities? We are in a pandemic and It's raining.

The only sensible reason may be they are low on water!

You're not the only one amazed by the amount of people who have full facilities, yet choose not to use them!

We went from a little VW with nothing onboard, to an ih in 2019 and have never used site facilities since, who wants to walk across a site to use the toilet/shower when you can move from the sofa into your own!

I've even got a couple of guys at work with big twin axle caravans who only use the onboard facilities for no1's, because they don't want to empty the toilet! I saw you put it in, so surely you can empty it out!

I pee in camp site showers, so wear your flippidy flops……..only joking as I never ever use them, why would I when I literally spend 10’s of 1000’s of squiddlys to have my own bathroom and shower.

It would be like taking all your food to a site bbq point at every meal, instead of using the kitchen area 🤷🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️

I have just come from Shrewsbury on a fully serviced pitch and there were people still using the site facilities and not their own, it beggars belief.

I think I can honestly say that I’ve not been in a campsite toilet or shower block for 20+ years.
Why would you when you have your own private facilities on board?

Richard.

That's probably why they choose a site with all facilities and feel that as they're paying for them they might as well use them. Not everyone is squeamish about using shared facilities. I've cruised smallish yachts and tented by motorbike around Europe for 30+ years so using marina and camp site facilities doesn't worry me in the slightest.
Even though they look clean you can't be sure how well en-suite bathrooms have been cleaned in the best of hotels.

Guess some perhaps also like the social interaction of meeting other campers at the facilities block? :unsure:

I can't see anything other than others opinions, no one being rude. Or particularly opinionated, and none deserving of a live and let live comment, Well actually there was one.. Yours :D

Mar 18, 2015
Burrough on the Hill, Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 886f
Exp
Since 2014
...Even though they look clean you can't be sure how well en-suite bathrooms have been cleaned in the best of hotels.
A former colleague of mine would never use the cups etc in a hotel room. He was convinced room service washed them up using the same cloth as they cleaned the toilet!!!

Back to the original post..
If there are loos/showers on site i'll use them, if not I use the vans. Reasons:
1) Normally a lot more elbow room in the site showers (I'm 6'2" and not skinny)
2) I've yet to find a "Leisure vehicle" toilet that's remotely comfortable to sit on.

On item 2 - Have the designers of said Leisure vehicle toilets, ever actually used one? If they designed it to fit themselves what shape are they?

deleted79651

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
The attraction of site showers are the endless hot water, lots of room and I don't have to dry it down afterwards other than squeejeeying(?) the floor afterwards. We are now on a site without facilities and using onboard ones.
And entertainng the neighbours who wonder why that nice couple next door are in the bathroom shouting 'pump on. pump off. pump on ...' whilst the neighbour's husband has a sneaking admiration for the need for these instructions to last more than 25 seconds .... ;) I'll leave the explanation to you DBK, if I may ... [Clue: Earlier post about a water supply problem ...] :LOL:

Steve

Pusscat

Free Member
Jun 16, 2019
Devon UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Rio 320
Exp
Since 2015
In 4 years, haven’t used the shower. Yes, I’ve peed and pooped (only on rare occasions mind…) but never showered in the MH. But then again, the ‘bathroom‘ is fairly small. We wanted more space for lounging, cooking and everything elsing in.

I like a bit of room in a shower which ours can’t provide. Also, I like lots of water. We’re both 6 footers, one a little ’wider’ than the other so it’s more practical.

also, probably the northerner in me is loathed to make do when I can toddle off the the block, be it all included or a 20p coin one and have a really good soak and wave my arks around.

there’s also something ritualistic about going to a shower block!

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
In 4 years, haven’t used the shower. Yes, I’ve peed and pooped (only on rare occasions mind…) but never showered in the MH. But then again, the ‘bathroom‘ is fairly small. We wanted more space for lounging, cooking and everything elsing in.

I like a bit of room in a shower which ours can’t provide. Also, I like lots of water. We’re both 6 footers, one a little ’wider’ than the other so it’s more practical.

also, probably the northerner in me is loathed to make do when I can toddle off the the block, be it all included or a 20p coin one and have a really good soak and wave my arks around.

there’s also something ritualistic about going to a shower block!
I’m with you on this!

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
We use the communal facilities where we can. Lots of room , no need to worry about how much water we use, and having a PVC its a bit tight on room in the van. Most of the blocks we have used in the past year have been very clean.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Simple for me, I don't expect anything for nothing so I am happy to pay and keep the economy going, it's just the way I was brought up I suppose. I'm not a rich person by any means, probably down to me last million by now but still happy to pay my way😁
Yeah but you can do that in a tent or caravan ...or a van with no facilities.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
So these are the posts before yours that prompted your comment.

I can't see anything other than others opinions, no one being rude. Or particularly opinionated, and none deserving of a live and let live comment, Well actually there was one.. Yours :D
Better send me to Coventry then Jim🤔

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
This is what beats me too, women wandering around In candlewick dressing gowns using communal facilities as it it’s a five star resort and they are going to the Spa, when in fact they are visiting a smelly loo……………….and yet, can you imagine the almighty fuss these same people would kick up if they stayed in a Hotel and had to use communal facilities. Penelope Kieth voice “ my goodness they expected us to use communal facilities absolutely disgusting, we’re leaving” 😂
Smelly loo,,you must use terrible sites..BUSBY.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Better send me to Coventry then Jim🤔
Nah, no need for that.
Just concede defeat.
Lots on here will never understand why others don’t always: use a motorhome’s facilities, travel with full water tanks, pay nothing to pitch, or need EHU
But ‘rude’ isn’t what we are 👍🏻
Just post your questions and try help where you can to other posters.

Edit: clarity. I was distracted by dinner & forgot a bit!

Last edited:

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Yay, it's a toilet thread :)

I spent a small fortune on my van so I could have a toilet and not be compelled to wander off to the facilities block and no more ziiiiip of the tent door waking up the neighbours (the whooshbang is much more acceptable).

But, I'm a bit on the bulky side so I do like to do a bit of manspreading. :whatthe: It can be more pleasant to take that sit down comfort break in a nearby block if it's nice and clean, but I'm not about to wander off in the wet and cold to enjoy such amenity.

Similarly the PVC is inevitably tight in space and of course water capacity for a shower, so if there is a good block nearby I'll make use of it, otherwise I'll happily get tangled up in the wet clingy shower curtain in the van.

deleted79651

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
Yay, it's a toilet thread :)

I spent a small fortune on my van so I could have a toilet and not be compelled to wander off to the facilities block and no more ziiiiip of the tent door waking up the neighbours (the whooshbang is much more acceptable).

But, I'm a bit on the bulky side so I do like to do a bit of manspreading. :whatthe: It can be more pleasant to take that sit down comfort break in a nearby block if it's nice and clean, but I'm not about to wander off in the wet and cold to enjoy such amenity.

Similarly the PVC is inevitably tight in space and of course water capacity for a shower, so if there is a good block nearby I'll make use of it, otherwise I'll happily get tangled up in the wet clingy shower curtain in the van.
Getting tangled up with a wet clingy shower curtain is a mistake. Why don't they have more dignity, more self respect, instead of prostrating themselves, wrapping themselves around the ankles of someone who clearly isn't interested, and will never love them like they love their shower block .... :LOL: ;)

Steve

Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
Each to their own, but prefer to use ours on board. Even though it’s a PVC the shower is a good size as it has a slide away loo.
if we’re low on water or can’t be ar5ed we might use the sites.
However my biggest gripe are the “sights” to behold traipsing around in dressing gown putting me off my breakfast!

deleted79651

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
Each to their own, but prefer to use ours on board. Even though it’s a PVC the shower is a good size as it has a slide away loo.
if we’re low on water or can’t be ar5ed we might use the sites.
However my biggest gripe are the “sights” to behold traipsing around in dressing gown putting me off my breakfast!
But imagine what those 'sights' would become if they were to prance around on the way to the shower without the Dressing Gown ... :LOL:

Steve

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Never been in site showers in my life, not going to start now, when I converted this ambulance the first thing in was shower and toilet, everything else had to fit in around it, many on here are ex services so probably used to it, but for me no thankyou .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back