Onboard facilities (1 Viewer)

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
I'm sitting in me van at Cirencester club sight watching the world go by as you do and it's raining cats & dogs. I'm amazed at the amount of people going to the camp shower block, why do they not use their own onboard facilities? We are in a pandemic and It's raining.

Feb 5, 2020
Crosby
Funster No
MH
Smileo 202
Exp
Was a Newbie but getting the hang of it now.
The only sensible reason may be they are low on water!

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
You're not the only one amazed by the amount of people who have full facilities, yet choose not to use them!

We went from a little VW with nothing onboard, to an ih in 2019 and have never used site facilities since, who wants to walk across a site to use the toilet/shower when you can move from the sofa into your own!

I've even got a couple of guys at work with big twin axle caravans who only use the onboard facilities for no1's, because they don't want to empty the toilet! I saw you put it in, so surely you can empty it out!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I pee in camp site showers, so wear your flippidy flops……..only joking as I never ever use them, why would I when I literally spend 10’s of 1000’s of squiddlys to have my own bathroom and shower.

It would be like taking all your food to a site bbq point at every meal, instead of using the kitchen area 🤷🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
That's probably why they choose a site with all facilities and feel that as they're paying for them they might as well use them. Not everyone is squeamish about using shared facilities. I've cruised smallish yachts and tented by motorbike around Europe for 30+ years so using marina and camp site facilities doesn't worry me in the slightest.
Even though they look clean you can't be sure how well en-suite bathrooms have been cleaned in the best of hotels.

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I've even got a couple of guys at work with big twin axle caravans who only use the onboard facilities for no1's, because they don't want to empty the toilet! I saw you put it in, so surely you can empty it out!
Obviously don't know it stinks far worse without any brown stuff in it to get the bacteria going.

Mar 26, 2020
Uranus
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 185
Exp
This thread contains excellent news! Indeed, please all of you use your own onboard facilities. We only use our own facilities if there are no suitable ones available. So, if everyone else is using their own, then my wife and I will have the lovely facilities (at Cirencester) all to ourselves.

OP
OP
Diabalo
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
There are some very opinionated folk commenting, does it offend you all that people are different and don’t do as you do? Live and let live😊
I'm not offended in any way, just don't understand why in a pandemic people prefer to take the risk with the communal facilities when they have their own that they know should be safe from Covid. The fella in the next pitch moaned that hardly anyone is wearing a mask in the shower block but he is still using it.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I'm sitting in me van at Cirencester club sight watching the world go by as you do and it's raining cats & dogs. I'm amazed at the amount of people going to the camp shower block, why do they not use their own onboard facilities? We are in a pandemic and It's raining.
I share your amazement. So much easier and more hygienic to use our own facilities.

Jun 13, 2021
Leeds, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis 120 low-line
Exp
Autumn 2020
We havent used our moho shower because Im half expecting to run out of water before i get all the shampoo out of my hair!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We've been on a couple of CMC sites this week and used their showers every morning. The pandemic angle was a factor but the facilities weren't busy and people were wearing masks. We also weren't in there long and they were well ventilated. It was more alarming visiting Tebay Services which were rammed with people and probably less than half were wearing masks.

The attraction of site showers are the endless hot water, lots of room and I don't have to dry it down afterwards other than squeejeeying(?) the floor afterwards. We are now on a site without facilities and using onboard ones.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We havent used our moho shower because Im half expecting to run out of water before i get all the shampoo out of my hair!
In that case you ain't doing it right. Switch shower on and wet everything, Switch off shower and soap up hair and body. Switch shower back on and rinse. Simples. BTW my wife has long hair and can wash and rinse without running out of hot water.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Since we first got into this malarkey in 2011 with an RV, I have known nothing other than the concept of using my own facilities. Seeking out fully serviced pitches to make life easy has become very much easier over the years so combined with the huge tanks of the Morelo using our own services has become simple.
Interestingly we are on one of the Algarve Mororhome Park group sites at Tavira. They have 3 separate dumps around the site and some are dual. It is easy to get to one. Clearly they have the drainage here and it's disappointing they did not add a drain to each pitch. However I am sure many site owners are deterred by idiots who insist on trying to dispose of unmacerated cassette contents down a 40mm tube. LaBella Vista at Manilva with larger pitch drains has some appalling waste left by what can only be called the brain dead.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Diabalo
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Ive always wondered why vans with full facilities use campsites 🤷🏻‍♂️
Simple for me, I don't expect anything for nothing so I am happy to pay and keep the economy going, it's just the way I was brought up I suppose. I'm not a rich person by any means, probably down to me last million by now but still happy to pay my way😁

Jun 13, 2021
Leeds, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis 120 low-line
Exp
Autumn 2020
In that case you ain't doing it right. Switch shower on and wet everything, Switch off shower and soap up hair and body. Switch shower back on and rinse. Simples. BTW my wife has long hair and can wash and rinse without running out of hot waer.
Not tried it yet, but Lincoln may well be the testing ground 😂

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
We use our own facilities... although we do tend to go to the camp site block to poop. We'll happily sleep in a car park or wild camp.

My parents have had caravans for years, and now a motorhome. They never use their onboard facilities. Their washroom is just a wardrobe. My mum cooks Sunday roasts in the van, but they don't even use the kitchen sink. They say it's easier to use the sinks at the block that fill with fresh and empty the grey. They wouldn't dream of stopping somewhere they couldn't use an EHU.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
This is what beats me too, women wandering around In candlewick dressing gowns using communal facilities as it it’s a five star resort and they are going to the Spa, when in fact they are visiting a smelly loo……………….and yet, can you imagine the almighty fuss these same people would kick up if they stayed in a Hotel and had to use communal facilities. Penelope Kieth voice “ my goodness they expected us to use communal facilities absolutely disgusting, we’re leaving” 😂

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I have only had my van since June, haven't used the shower yet as it's so tiny! It's there for emergencies imo! I have not found a problem using site showers, often been the only person in the block! A decent shower with a bit of elbow room is my preference.
Do you have a fashionable wardrobe for the trips. I’ve seen all sorts over the years, including fluffy slippers and fancy dress onesies 😄😀

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back