Old truckers (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2017
Southampton
Funster No
MH
AT tracker 2002
Exp
On n off fer years
After reading some of the posts on here it seems there's quite a few ex truck/ bus/ coach drivers running around in motor homes so does it affect the way you use the van? Mrs dilbert is always bending my ear over my " best crack on " attitude Anybody else have to change the way they run and remember their on holiday. I still do walk round checks and dip the oil etc. Old habits die hard. ( apart from the midnight starts to do London markets )

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Yep, still whack the tyres with the persuader, check the oil and water every day even though modern engines do not use any. Once in the saddle I stop every 4 hours for a half hour break, but have been known to do 1000kms a day when heading somewhere. Did Liverpool to Munich last year in one hit apart from fuel and coffee breaks, had 4 days off in Munich then down to just north of Istanbul in one hit from Munich. Old habits die hard.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
Old habits die hard . It has taken a few years to slow down. But still check oil water lights indicators . After 40 years you can not stop yourself. But the boss has got me trained now.

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
Yep still check the wheel nuts/oil and coolant as well as a visual check on how the Moho is sitting when loaded. Elaine thinks I am doolaly when I move heavy items in the fridge towards the left side (front of van side) to stop them from moving when braking. Though the terminology is still in place from when I was driving trucks now 17 years ago, the terms pratt, fanny and ar**hole still feature greatly even with Elaine reminding me that is what they are saying about me chucking the MoHo about as if it was a 44 tonner. Need to be careful kicking the wheels in my now job though as I would end up breaking a few toes.:whistle::eek:

DSC_0166.jpg

OP
OP
D
Feb 16, 2017
Southampton
Funster No
MH
AT tracker 2002
Exp
On n off fer years
Ha ha my old Peugeot boxer is like having a speed limiter only doing about 60mph flat out so with a dodgy left knee after all those lovely Brit motors and as deaf as a post as well. PS the last truck I drove was a fh12 460

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
After reading some of the posts on here it seems there's quite a few ex truck/ bus/ coach drivers running around in motor homes so does it affect the way you use the van?

They seem to be the ones who think loads of miles is all that matters.

At the other end of the scale some folk say "we never travel more than 100 miles a day".

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
They seem to be the ones who think loads of miles is all that matters.

Some say "We don't need an awning we never stay more than one night". Unbelievable.

At the other end of the scale some folk say "we never travel more than 100 miles a day".

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
It is nice to know that I have not got to drive over 400 miles in a day. And that I can stop whenever I want. And I can go at my speed. And no one asking me what time do you call this.

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
@Dilbert I liked the big Volvo when I was tramping as it was the Globetrotter. Finished up on the Volvo drawbar with the Euro Lohr car transporter body.

Similar to the below pic but with the FH6 rigid instead of the pictured FM.

nelsonweb.jpg

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
dont forget clean the windscreen and mirrors .
i say it was much nicer when trucks were at 40 mph etc . i liked that speed . still only drive usually at that in my truck . i now avoid motorways etc thats called work . take the old routes . was much nicer before by pass,s etc . take the long way , smile wave at locals and be ready to stop when you get to that place you used to drive through in a hurry.
yes casn make fast long drives but these days its slowly slowly enjoy the scenery .
arrive santander in november . destination santander months later . never get lost we are in spain .
you know when your in portugal the number plates look different and the language changes .
but sometimes its follow the border and dont go to portugal we are in spain .

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
Funnily enough the windscreen and mirrors on our A class get 2 wipe downs per day with a microfibre towel, before putting on the silver screens and after they are taken off.

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
I'd crack on but the wife isn't too keen.
Off the train at calais and next stop, Aosta services for an espresso (100ks a cup) ending up at Ancona.
She'll only let me do 1/2 a shift!!

How times have changed, I did it in the 90s, wouldn't want to now though

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I have to stop every hour and a half for a fag(y)

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
What is wrong with Portugal @vwalan . We are of to there next month. Hope to pop into @JJ .
nothing but we were in spain .
might get back to portugal one year .
but last winter we were in spain .
followed the border and went to places hadnt been for years . met one lad in galecia that remembered my lads knocking around with him and his mates 30 yrs ago. his dad used to run a village bar but unfortunately passed away a few years ago.
we might get there and see a few on here but who knows . might go back to morocco instead .

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
Boy oh .boy do I know that feeling @matamoros There are days when I go for a lot longer.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Old habits die hard . It has taken a few years to slow down. But still check oil water lights indicators . After 40 years you can not stop yourself. But the boss has got me trained now.

Same here,,probably took me 5 years to slow down,,Enjoy just plodding now,,BUSBY..

OP
OP
D
Feb 16, 2017
Southampton
Funster No
MH
AT tracker 2002
Exp
On n off fer years
@Dilbert I liked the big Volvo when I was tramping as it was the Globetrotter. Finished up on the Volvo drawbar with the Euro Lohr car transporter body.

Similar to the below pic but with the FH6 rigid instead of the pictured FM.

nelsonweb.jpg
I never did car transporters, dead mans shoes when I was younger. I mostly did containers or foreign trailers.( I've still got an old wine box full of bulbs and lenses, Palm couplings etc ) I think I spent most of my career Up and down a34 or m3 from Southampton

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Ha ha my old Peugeot boxer is like having a speed limiter only doing about 60mph flat out so with a dodgy left knee after all those lovely Brit motors and as deaf as a post as well. PS the last truck I drove was a fh12 460
Hi Dilbert.
You did not mention "Gardner engine right knee" when the Pump needed fixing Got to have Left Hip remade,sockets come lose and i have to call back up until it gets back into place,mind,it was done in about '61,deaf as a post...WHAT?.
Have a Renault Master PVC.( Tea Bags Mini-Magnum(y)) Goes real well...:whistle:.When allowing three night stops to Calais from here,often spend two of them in Buchy Aire,just outside of Rouen.... Herself falls asleep and i get White Line Fever:ROFLMAO: Keep the Shiny side up and the Dirty side down,stay well,stay lucky.
Tea Bag
PS.Being deaf'ish,how come i can still hear first wife saying."Your not in the lorry NOW!!" But need subtitles on the TV?

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Ah, the Gardener diesel. I had a love hate relationship with that. Started my driving career with an ERF 4 wheeler with a Gardener 4LW doing 3 Londons a week out of Manchester. Graduated to a Guy big J with a 180 Gardener and 6 speed David Brown box doing 3 Glasgows a week. No heater in any of them and me looking like the Michelin man in winter. I took great delight in later years breaking those old trucks up and exporting the Gardener engines to Hong Kong. Little did I realise they would now be worth good money in the UK.

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Driving is a pleasure for me, I can drive for hours. A walk around, oil, water, and systems check is always done before any journey. But, what I have noticed is when anyone asks 'how far is that'? I reply in hours, not miles! 'Oh, here to there is about 6 hours'............:Eeek:

Craig

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I remember my first hearing test because of tinnitus, I said tinnitus you deafhead! :LOL:
The lass said how long have you been driving trucks, I'd not told her I was a driver, she told me I had lost high range in my right ear because we all have the window open an inch or two and low range in my left ear because of the engine banging away! trucks are a lot quieter now thankfully, I said quieter now! :D2

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Driving is a pleasure for me, I can drive for hours. A walk around, oil, water, and systems check is always done before any journey. But, what I have noticed is when anyone asks 'how far is that'? I reply in hours, not miles! 'Oh, here to there is about 6 hours'............:Eeek:

Craig
My Dad does that too.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Gardeners sheer luxury on the ears, try the whine of a commer two stroke as you attempted to climb any hill but great going downhill until you remembered it had vacuum brakes.

Not forgetting when they decided to de coke themselves. Balls of flaming carbon coming out of the front mounted silencer. God help anyone overtaking at this point :).

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Not forgetting when they decided to de coke themselves. Balls of flaming carbon coming out of the front mounted silencer. God help anyone overtaking at this point :).

First time i drove one i was going through Stoke about 3 am,,,thought i had blown it up when it decided to de-coke itself,,shit myself,,BUSBY..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back