Ok, where do we stand now France wise. (1 Viewer)

Aug 5, 2017
Skelmersdale
Funster No
MH
RV WindSport 32A
Exp
5 years only
Near Tulle and we have an École de Gendarmerie in the town
They use around here to train new recruits . Have been stopped many times . They have to learn somehow .
Also they use the A20 for péage training
We had an old friend who was the Colonel of the school so got quite an insight into how they work. We were summoned for tea each Sunday afternoon lol We bought his car and the number was 3000 and the thousand numbers were only given to high ranking folks .Very useful , never stopped and parking was easy lol ( This was in the days before the new number plates )
Not many gendarmes in Skelmersdale for you lol
Maybe that's because I'm in Montendre? Bout 2h from you. Skelmersdale is where one of my houses are!

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
Might be because your post was a little negative?🤣:groan:

I'm sorry if it seemed negative to you. It was intended to convey the fact that strict measures are still in place here and I'd hate anyone to go to a lot of trouble and expense, only to have their hopes dashed. You might be able to 'wing it' in the UK but they tend to be a lot less tolerant here.

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
I'm sorry if it seemed negative to you. It was intended to convey the fact that strict measures are still in place here and I'd hate anyone to go to a lot of trouble and expense, only to have their hopes dashed. You might be able to 'wing it' in the UK but they tend to be a lot less tolerant here.
It was a joke, jest, witticism, wisecrack, pun, etc. on your AP letter... :groan:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
This situation is all very frustrating.

Where we are in the UK is a joke. The roads are choked with traffic. The road at the side of my house is like a race track. Numerous non essential business are still operating. The Authorities including the police are not doing anything about it.

Yet, I can’t fly to Spain. Where I have legal appointments and security issues that I need to resolve at our Spanish house. I did book to fly post lockdown On the 4th. But then the COVID test was imposed on us by the Spanish authorities. I’ve no problem With that. But the logistics and costs are Plain silly.

Just to note, I do take COVID-19 seriously. I have as has my wife worked through it. We have also lost friends and relatives to C19.

But when we have these ridiculous rules like.

You can sleep with your wife, but you can’t play golf with her. You can however, walk over the golf course.

You can’t go to the pub, but you can go to a filthy supermarket.

Essential travel only ! But the D@@@heads around here can ride trail bikes in the street with no helmets and the police do nothing.

Mean while. I attended funerals stood outside the chapels/churches. only 10 people. Whilst the travelling community blocked the streets and rocked up in their 100’s to funerals, filling churches. Whilst house parties are raided by police.

I could rant on

Aug 5, 2017
Skelmersdale
Funster No
MH
RV WindSport 32A
Exp
5 years only
By the lights, Julie lived near there for 5 years we stay there every year as she still has friends living there.
Popeye took the photo about three years ago when we were at the twin lakes meet.
A pic from last night! Just to cheer you up ;) Also the bar area has had a major revamp, Showers and toilet area still the same but tarted up a bit.

Attachments

• Top lake.jpg
    Top lake.jpg
    323.1 KB · Views: 47
Apr 26, 2016
Preston
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
As Kent will be in tier 3 next week after lockdown I don't see how anyone can officially get down to the cross channel tunnel or ferries. Except of course for the Christmas Break maybe.

Apr 26, 2016
Preston
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
Sorry about the above not strictly true at the moment, only advisory and no road blocks. Soree!!!!

Zulu

Free Member
Jan 18, 2020
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 625
Exp
All these comments about why wouldn’t the police let you go! Has anyone been watching news where one middle aged lady was arrested in the street and put in handcuffs for not moving whilst drinking a coffee? London nazi police.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
A pic from last night! Just to cheer you up ;) Also the bar area has had a major revamp, Showers and toilet area still the same but tarted up a bit.
Are you the new owners of twin lakes? If so are there anymore plans of a meet there?
Must admit we usually use the excellent Aire in town but could be persuaded to a meet if there was one.

Brendaburgess

Free Member
Nov 5, 2017
Funster No
We are heading down to Cabopino via the tunnel and through France but not till 28th December, because we have a dog with a pet passport we need to be in Spain before the transition period ends, sometimes we are thinking is it even worth the worry of it now as there are so many boxes to tick and don’t want to get it wrong. We can only be in EU now for 90 days in a calendar year, we love our MH and are really sad that our lovely way of life is going to be changed for the worse..😥

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
For those with places in other countries, can you not get dual residence and travel between the two places on that basis?

Or, as in Poland avail yourselves of the right to have periods of abscence from the local residence witout jeopardising the residence status, which is what I might do if we need to travel.

One advantage of living part-time in UK is that there is no evidence of residence for a UK citizen, consequently one does not lie if asked whether one is resident in any other country, because there is no official status of being resident in UK. Also one does not need any paper to re-enter UK it is an ongoing right as a UK National.

UK is quite 'Laissez faire'.

The point of above is that one can legally be travelling to one's place of residence in both directions.

Geoff

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
This situation is all very frustrating.

Where we are in the UK is a joke. The roads are choked with traffic. The road at the side of my house is like a race track. Numerous non essential business are still operating. The Authorities including the police are not doing anything about it.

Yet, I can’t fly to Spain. Where I have legal appointments and security issues that I need to resolve at our Spanish house. I did book to fly post lockdown On the 4th. But then the COVID test was imposed on us by the Spanish authorities. I’ve no problem With that. But the logistics and costs are Plain silly.

Just to note, I do take COVID-19 seriously. I have as has my wife worked through it. We have also lost friends and relatives to C19.

But when we have these ridiculous rules like.

You can sleep with your wife, but you can’t play golf with her. You can however, walk over the golf course.

You can’t go to the pub, but you can go to a filthy supermarket.

Essential travel only ! But the D@@@heads around here can ride trail bikes in the street with no helmets and the police do nothing.

Mean while. I attended funerals stood outside the chapels/churches. only 10 people. Whilst the travelling community blocked the streets and rocked up in their 100’s to funerals, filling churches. Whilst house parties are raided by police.

I could rant on
Think supermarkets are much cleaner than most pubs I have been in, Would hate to think what lives in the carpets and upholstery in most pubs..BUSBY,,

2x2camper

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
As Kent will be in tier 3 next week after lockdown I don't see how anyone can officially get down to the cross channel tunnel or ferries. Except of course for the Christmas Break maybe.
You are allowed to travel through tier 3 areas.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
an you not get dual residence and travel between the two places on that basis?
Under EU rules you cannot be resident in more than one country.What happens after 1st January though is anybodies guess. many people already have residence in other EU states whilst living in the UK.

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Under EU rules you cannot be resident in more than one country.What happens after 1st January though is anybodies guess. many people already have residence in other EU states whilst living in the UK.

Yes I know that, which is why I pointed out that there is no status for a UK National of being formally 'Resident' in UK - no register of Residents, no Residence card, no record as such at all. So one would only be formally resident in Spain for example.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Yes I know that, which is why I pointed out that there is no status for a UK National of being formally 'Resident' in UK - no register of Residents, no Residence card, no record as such at all. So one would only be formally resident in Spain for example.
This was the situation here in France also . You are obliged to register for tax , healthcare etc but there was never any official personal registration or document . Hence when B..... came along they had to issue a Carte de Séjour which they refused to do previously as we were European !
There are two cards EU and TCN but we are getting a WARP card to differentiate us from the other two lol

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
This was the situation here in France also . You are obliged to register for tax , healthcare etc but there was never any official personal registration or document . Hence when B..... came along they had to issue a Carte de Séjour which they refused to do previously as we were European !
There are two cards EU and TCN but we are getting a WARP card to differentiate us from the other two lol

TCN and WARP translation please.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
TCN and WARP translation please.
Oops sorry TCN is what U.K. will become 1 January Third Country National And this is what we expected for our cards but they have decided to call us Withdrawal Agreement Residence Permit !

Aug 13, 2017
Funster No
Yes the idea of differentiating between TCN and WARP is strange unless there is to be some future modification one way or another as Spain and I think Portugal intend / are doing the same. Why I wonder?

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Oops sorry TCN is what U.K. will become 1 January Third Country National And this is what we expected for our cards but they have decided to call us Withdrawal Agreement Residence Permit !

Thanks.

That makes sense because I understand that the Residence Permits issued to those entitled by virtue of being resident during the period of the Withdrawak Agreement will be different from the normal Residence Permit, maybe not to look at but in the biometric coding. We shall find out when issued.

Permits issued to those becoming resident from 1st Jan 2021 will be TCN type issued under different criteria, tus making it imperative to have registered one's stay before 31st Dec 2020, which is emphasised oin FCO advice.

Geoff

Aug 5, 2017
Skelmersdale
Funster No
MH
RV WindSport 32A
Exp
5 years only
Are you the new owners of twin lakes? If so are there anymore plans of a meet there?
Must admit we usually use the excellent Aire in town but could be persuaded to a meet if there was one.
No I'm not the owners! It's Rob and Jen, a young couple have taken it over. I have bought a plot here (for brexit reasons).Blue skies today so no rush to get back! Pretty sure a meet could be arranged?

Last edited:

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
Yes the idea of differentiating between TCN and WARP is strange unless there is to be some future modification one way or another as Spain and I think Portugal intend / are doing the same. Why I wonder?

A Titre de Sejour for TCNs is different to a WARP. The WARP is a card showing that we have certain protections settled within the Withdrawal Agreement, already done and dusted. UK citizens holding a WARP will retain most of their existing rights and benefits such as pension uprating, health care covered from the UK, right to permanent residence etc. These benefits won't necessarily apply to people arriving after 31st Dec.

The application process is much simpler and less rigorous (and free!) than applying for a residence visa as a Third Country National after 1st January.

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
I have read about these fines at the tunnel, but were these people told they couldn't go when they booked the trip? Or are they just pulling in hoping to pay and go.
As I understood it they were first stopped on route to the ferry port or vice versa , whichever, and were advised they should not be travelling and advised them to return home, they then headed for the tunnel and were stopped again by a different “checkpoint” and it was found they were travelling despite having been told to return home and subsequently fined them.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back