Ok, where do we stand now France wise. (1 Viewer)

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I have just gone through the booking for tunnel tomorrow, and it is very vague about whether you can go or not , more about traveling in France when you get there but they would have been more than happy to take my money.
It’s not up to the tunnel or ferry companies to determine if it’s legal for you to travel. There are many people crossing the Channel for very legitimate reasons and the companies don’t ask the reasons for booking.
England is in lockdown so anything other than 'essential' travel is illegal. it’s down to the individual to decide if their trip is essential and if they get caught out by the border police they deserve a hefty fine.

Richard.

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
I have just gone through the booking for tunnel tomorrow, and it is very vague about whether you can go or not , more about traveling in France when you get there but they would have been more than happy to take my money.

I fear you may be disappointed if you make it through the tunnel. As you may be aware , the whole of France is in lockdown at present and until at least 1st December.

I cannot step outside my gate without a valid reason and attestation - and none of those reasons include leisure activities (except exercise up to an hour a day and <1km from my home) or tourism.

Northbound travel, returning directly to one's home country, is permissible but a UK-registered MH heading south is very likely to attract some attention - and possibly a €135 fine - with being turned-around a distinct possibility.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Is it illegal though? Somewhere else on here it says tourists can still go as long as they stay in one area.
as long as you can legally travel out of the Uk there is nothing here that prevents tourists with booked accomodation (site etc) from transversing spain legally. Whether it is right or not is another matter but the government isn't prohibiting it nor stopping tourism presently.

She said the Police put up road blocks but the buggers found a back way in!
I do not know why they persist in doing it as most will either be reported by locals or dobbed in by shop workers. Fines are collossal + every member gets done.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I fear you may be disappointed if you make it through the tunnel. As you may be aware , the whole of France is in lockdown at present and until at least 1st December.

I cannot step outside my gate without a valid reason and attestation - and none of those reasons include leisure activities (except exercise up to an hour a day and <1km from my home) or tourism.

Northbound travel, returning directly to one's home country, is permissible but a UK-registered MH heading south is very likely to attract some attention - and possibly a €135 fine - with being turned-around a distinct possibility.
Obviously I didn't book it.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
We can’t wait to get back to France but we all have to be patient and wait.
If a vaccine is distributed widely in the next couple of months, particularly to us older vulnerable folk, and if (and it’s a very big if) people are sensible over the next few weeks, I hope to be heading south sometime in March.
We just have to wait and see how things develop. As Prof. JVT said in a recent briefing “We are on the glide path but there might be the odd cross wind”
Looking forward to a smooth landing. (y)

Richard.

Richard

Don't forget that there is no certainty that a vaccine will stop one spreading the virus, therefore while it might protect oneself the authorities might still not want vaccinated people to enter their balliewicks for risk of them transmitting the virus from non-vaccinated infected population in their home area.

Geoff

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Richard

Don't forget that there is no certainty that a vaccine will stop one spreading the virus, therefore while it might protect oneself the authorities might still not want vaccinated people to enter their balliewicks for risk of them transmitting the virus from non-vaccinated infected population in their home area.

Geoff
Agreed Geoff.
I'm just trying to think positive thoughts. :france:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I hope my undercarriage will stand the weight...:groan:
There will be a crosswind and it will commence on 2nd of dec..Cant believe the government are opening everything up,(unless your in tier 3 ) Will be back to square one by new year,,BUSBY.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Because we booked all our travel in January we have 1 crossing Plymouth to Roscoff and 2 returns on tunnel and a single tunnel plus a £100 voucher bought by a friend for us for £100 so hopefully be able to use some time next year

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
We have a motorhome with plans to travel south this winter, when it became obvious that couldn’t happen we sorned it. We didn’t break the bank buying our secondhand Hymer so we are quite happy to fly and most years we take a trip somewhere. This year before lockdown we flew to Portugal where our family have a place, so we are very fortunate. There are though some cracking rental apartments and air b and b deals to be had this winter, we met a couple who often offer an amount less than the asking price to air B and B and have yet to have their offer declined. Just an idea after lockdown for those who are missing their regular dose of vitamin D.
9083B560-060D-4F5A-B5A1-61928CEC2653.jpeg

Aug 13, 2017
Funster No
Questions questions........
We are hoping to make the journey (by Car) down to Cadiz again on the 7th December. There are various reasons that we need to go which include;
We need to meet the agent for our long term rental property at the property and pay another instalment on the rent.
We would like to lodge a last minute registration of residency with the Immigration people in Cadiz.
A part of the above is the need to register on the 'Padron' ( the local council register which needs to be in person).
I would like to exchange my UK driving licence prior to 1/1/2021 to maintain its 'EU' equivalences.
Is the consensus that these are justifiable reasons for travel, which hopefully would be non stop.
And if so is it permitted for justifiable travel to take place during the curfew hours to facilitate the travel. This principally in Spain as I can't find details of curfew or not in France currently ?

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Questions questions........
We are hoping to make the journey (by Car) down to Cadiz again on the 7th December. There are various reasons that we need to go which include;
We need to meet the agent for our long term rental property at the property and pay another instalment on the rent.
We would like to lodge a last minute registration of residency with the Immigration people in Cadiz.
A part of the above is the need to register on the 'Padron' ( the local council register which needs to be in person).
I would like to exchange my UK driving licence prior to 1/1/2021 to maintain its 'EU' equivalences.
Is the consensus that these are justifiable reasons for travel, which hopefully would be non stop.
And if so is it permitted for justifiable travel to take place during the curfew hours to facilitate the travel. This principally in Spain as I can't find details of curfew or not in France currently ?
I would think you could get away with traveling with those reasons but the curfew still stands here for all except commerce trucks .

Aug 13, 2017
Funster No
I would think you could get away with traveling with those reasons but the curfew still stands here for all except commerce trucks .
What are the curfew times and are they due to be relaxed in the forthcoming relaxation phase? I don't seem to be able to find any info on the French ones!

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
If the purpose of your trip is to travel to your intended permanent residence then I wouldn't see a problem. There's no curfew as such in France at present - we are locked down 24/7. From 15th Dec, if the figures meet the requirements, daytime travel will be unrestricted but a 2100-0700hrs curfew will apply.

During the local curfew in Toulouse a couple of months back, there were instances of the police stopping through-travelling motorists on the Toulouse peripherique and giving them tickets. This was stopped within a day or two by the prefecture who quite rightly decided that transiting traffic didn't need to comply. Plenty of other traffic needs to be running around the clock, so I would expect little checking on principal routes.

At the end of the day, you can only really suck it and see. It's not me you need to convince of the necessity of the journey but the border controls. Have you considered asking your ferry company/Eurotunnel if they would allow you to travel in your circumstances?

May 14, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 794-T
Exp
Caravan owner moved on to Motorhome
I received an email this morning from the FCO. Doesn't look good.

Travel in France
The health situation in France remains severe. France has put measures in place to limit the spread of Covid-19.

The French government announced a national lockdown from 30 October, with the relaxation of some measures coming into force on 28 November. A full list of circumstances under which you can leave your home is detailed on the French government’s website and includes shopping for food, attending medical appointments, looking after someone, and accompanying children to school. You can leave your home for exercise (including going for a walk) – but you must remain within one kilometre (extended to 20km from 28 November) of your home and be outside for no longer than one hour (extended to three hours from 28 November).

You will need an attestation (or self-certificate) when you do go out. The attestation is available on the Ministry of Interior website, and through the digital app ‘Tous anti-Covid.’

Travel between regions is not permitted, unless for a reason specified by the government. Public services and schools will remain open but restaurants, and cafes are closed. From 28 November, non-essential shops will be authorised to reopen until 9pm under strict sanitary protocols.

Full information about restrictions in France can be found here

Aug 5, 2017
Skelmersdale
Funster No
MH
RV WindSport 32A
Exp
5 years only
Can just tell you what we have been told so far . The attestation for travel will continue after 1 December so moving around and the 1hr 1km exercise will continue as well as specific reasons for travelling . Cafes , bars and restaurants to stay closed till January 15th .
Macron making a broadcast Tuesday 20.00 French time . But not expecting anything too exciting !
Where are you in France Spitfire? I can tell you now the Gendarmerie in my area have no interest in chasing people who are out and about! Washing cars, doing laundry in Intermarche etc. Your area must be heavily policed and/or populated?

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Where are you in France Spitfire? I can tell you now the Gendarmerie in my area have no interest in chasing people who are out and about! Washing cars, doing laundry in Intermarche etc. Your area must be heavily policed and/or populated?
Near Tulle and we have an École de Gendarmerie in the town
They use around here to train new recruits . Have been stopped many times . They have to learn somehow .
Also they use the A20 for péage training
We had an old friend who was the Colonel of the school so got quite an insight into how they work. We were summoned for tea each Sunday afternoon lol We bought his car and the number was 3000 and the thousand numbers were only given to high ranking folks .Very useful , never stopped and parking was easy lol ( This was in the days before the new number plates )

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2017
Skelmersdale
Funster No
MH
RV WindSport 32A
Exp
5 years only

Do you write for the Daily Mail?

Apr 17, 2013
Bedworth
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer Excis-
Exp
About 5 years now
We are desperate to get away - anywhere its not cold and not raining - but we will wait for the vaccines and the public health advice that we can travel - hopefully to see friends in Provence - enjoy a coffee by the beach - swim in the med - etc just got to survive until then and hope everyone else will

Jun 29, 2012
Penrith
Funster No
MH
DIMS van conversion
Exp
since 2010
Have a look at this site :-

You have the option of entering as an EU Citizen ( i.e. - at the moment) or as a National from a Third Country (after 31st December - unless the UK and EU come to an arrangement before this date)

It will give you information on some other questions you might have in areas like health etc.

Can anyone tell us just where we stand in going to France, covid and Brexit wise in real terms from January, can we go now, if not when will it be allowed, ? What will we have to do other than we already have, is the tunnel running, if not when is it due to start again.
All sorts of questions like that, what are others planning?
We are looking at going in march, any thoughts on that.
Just basic answers of what you think, no links to government sites and such that we have in plenty.

Jun 29, 2012
Penrith
Funster No
MH
DIMS van conversion
Exp
since 2010
P.S. to my last posting.

By "now" I meant from Dec 2 to the 31st. No travel allowed before then.

Can anyone tell us just where we stand in going to France, covid and Brexit wise in real terms from January, can we go now, if not when will it be allowed, ? What will we have to do other than we already have, is the tunnel running, if not when is it due to start again.
All sorts of questions like that, what are others planning?
We are looking at going in march, any thoughts on that.
Just basic answers of what you think, no links to government sites and such that we have in plenty.

Sep 19, 2018
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Why are you bothering asking the questions?
Don't know what changes could happen next week let alone January
Nothing wrong with planning to go if things are open but be prepared for them not to be
Sometimes its just nice to get others opinions, I’m am sure they are aware it’s ever changing but it was just a question

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back