Ok, so why do we do it? Talk yourself in to Motorhoming. (1 Viewer)

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Right, Ok, so I have a house..It has good size bedrooms, a garden a huge kitchen and living area. It has a garage big enough to fit my scooter 6 bikes an array of tools and even a small car in.
In my house I'm able to stretch out on a bed or in the lounge and guess what? when I go for c**p I sit down stretch my legs out and when finshed push a button and boom it's all gone never to be seen again. I turn as many lights on as I like when I like always get a satelite signal and the two big dogs fly around the house at their own will without any concern before running loose off in to the garden to shout at a cat... This place costs twice the price of a top of the range Cathago and only goes up in value it seems.

Against.

for what seems judging by Nikki's little red book of where we have stayed 3 months per year we choose this..

Being couped up in an 8 meter by 2 meter box made of GRP with no garden to call our own whereby we manage to cook and prepare food on a surface the size of a dinner tray. Where I up and load a scooter and bikes with fort knocks type security if I'm going over the water to avoid theft. Where I am forced on to if I'm lucky a space of 10 x 6 meters. Once there and depending where I am, the lights only come on freely when I am sure the sun has shone long enough throughout the day and the TV only comes on providing said marshal or site hitler hasn't parked me under a tree destroying any chance of a signal.
I am then either forced to share a portaloo with 200 other campers or use my own "state of the art facilities" or in other words, shit in a plastic bucket with me knees touching my chin so I can fit in and make sure the old man squeezes in as well in order not to pee over the top. Having performed this task I get to then go and check mine and Nikki's contribution to waste development whilst watching other poor men (and the occasional and I mean very occasional female) carry out the "avoid the splash back" job. Then when my neighbor comes around I am forced to listen to him tell me how Hymer's are the greatest derision seen by man kind and he once got gassed at a services in Bolton. On top of this when anything goes wrong with said van, I am asked would I like to take personal finance out to replace the sink washer that had to be specially ordered from the manufacture at a cost of 10k . All the while I sit in the van and when I speak to a dealer he tells me the van has lost 25% of it's value since I bought it because with 32k on the clock it's high mileage but whilst listening to him telling another punter that 32k guv, not even ran in for one of these, they go around the world and to the moon and back...

So why do we do it? and more importantly why am I off to the Motorhome show on Sunday looking to see if they have anything up to about 80k that fits my needs? and of course is "the perfect van" THE PERFECT ONE... is that what it is? the pursuit of the PERFECT VAN?

There must be something in it that's kept me going for the past 15 years of doing it!!!

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I do it for mainly the great weather we normally get in Spain,Portugal and France,,,plus the freedom to drive and cycle on quiet un crowded roads,,AND THE BOOZE IS CHEAP,, BUSBY,,,:D2:D2:D2

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 17, 2017
Ferring
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 840
Exp
Since 2017
We often have exactly the same conversation:LOL:

100brian

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
isle of man
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
since 1990
Right, Ok, so I have a house..It has good size bedrooms, a garden a huge kitchen and living area. It has a garage big enough to fit my scooter 6 bikes an array of tools and even a small car in.
In my house I'm able to stretch out on a bed or in the lounge and guess what? when I go for c**p I sit down stretch my legs out and when finshed push a button and boom it's all gone never to be seen again. I turn as many lights on as I like when I like always get a satelite signal and the two big dogs fly around the house at their own will without any concern before running loose off in to the garden to shout at a cat... This place costs twice the price of a top of the range Cathago and only goes up in value it seems.

Against.

for what seems judging by Nikki's little red book of where we have stayed 3 months per year we choose this..

Being couped up in an 8 meter by 2 meter box made of GRP with no garden to call our own whereby we manage to cook and prepare food on a surface the size of a dinner tray. Where I up and load a scooter and bikes with fort knocks type security if I'm going over the water to avoid theft. Where I am forced on to if I'm lucky a space of 10 x 6 meters. Once there and depending where I am, the lights only come on freely when I am sure the sun has shone long enough throughout the day and the TV only comes on providing said marshal or site hitler hasn't parked me under a tree destroying any chance of a signal.
I am then either forced to share a portaloo with 200 other campers or use my own "state of the art facilities" or in other words, shit in a plastic bucket with me knees touching my chin so I can fit in and make sure the old man squeezes in as well in order not to pee over the top. Having performed this task I get to then go and check mine and Nikki's contribution to waste development whilst watching other poor men (and the occasional and I mean very occasional female) carry out the "avoid the splash back" job. Then when my neighbor comes around I am forced to listen to him tell me how Hymer's are the greatest derision seen by man kind and he once got gassed at a services in Bolton. On top of this when anything goes wrong with said van, I am asked would I like to take personal finance out to replace the sink washer that had to be specially ordered from the manufacture at a cost of 10k . All the while I sit in the van and when I speak to a dealer he tells me the van has lost 25% of it's value since I bought it because with 32k on the clock it's high mileage but whilst listening to him telling another punter that 32k guv, not even ran in for one of these, they go around the world and to the moon and back...

So why do we do it? and more importantly why am I off to the Motorhome show on Sunday looking to see if they have anything up to about 80k that fits my needs? and of course is "the perfect van" THE PERFECT ONE... is that what it is? the pursuit of the PERFECT VAN?

There must be something in it that's kept me going for the past 15 years of doing it!!!

I asked myself the same question. So we sold the Motorhome put the money back in the bank. now rent a 3 bedroom two bathroom villa with satellite Internet and every thing we need overlooking Moraira for 6 months price €500 per month €17 per night

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Good question.

The thing with a house is, it doesn't move, the view is always the same, the noise is similar from day to day, the neighbours are nearly always the same (like them or loathe them), the 'standing charges' keep rolling in, and homes can be so boring, especially when the kids have flown, well, they are to me anyway. Spare rooms and gardens to maintain. Why?

A moho is an escape from the hum drum of repetitive living, having different views, seeing different places, staying in different places, having different neighbours (like them to loathe them), wandering to the sunshine, listening to the rain rhythm on the roof, and a bit of excitement when you move on to your next destination.

Better than an hotel, as we know who has slept in the bed last and we know how clean the facilities are.

Do we need to take 40 paces to the toilet at home? When 4 will do in a moho?

I think we have a bit of a 'wandering gene' in all of us. Or is that just me?

Craig

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
[QUOTE="haganap, post: 2549892, member: 974"

[/QUOTE]

Why do you do it?? In a word: "Nikki"

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Sounds like you should have bought an RV , that would have overcome most of your gripes :D
Our reasons are as many as there of us that travel the road , otherwise why would ownership be rocketing ?
As that saying goes when it stops being fun Stop (y)

Mar 2, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
c.. autocruise starblazer
Exp
8 years
Good question.

The thing with a house is, it doesn't move, the view is always the same, the noise is similar from day to day, the neighbours are nearly always the same (like them or loathe them), the 'standing charges' keep rolling in, and homes can be so boring, especially when the kids have flown, well, they are to me anyway. Spare rooms and gardens to maintain. Why?

A moho is an escape from the hum drum of repetitive living, having different views, seeing different places, staying in different places, having different neighbours (like them to loathe them), wandering to the sunshine, listening to the rain rhythm on the roof, and a bit of excitement when you move on to your next destination.

Better than an hotel, as we know who has slept in the bed last and we know how clean the facilities are.

Do we need to take 40 paces to the toilet at home? When 4 will do in a moho?

I think we have a bit of a 'wandering gene' in all of us. Or is that just me?

Craig

Craig , you wrote that for me didnt you.Thank you much obliged.(y)

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Because I needed a MH to put all those accessories in. Also, to have a reason to join the Fun. :whistle:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

Against.

Sounds like you could make that into one of @jim s story's:)

Jul 10, 2016
hucknall
Funster No
MH
Swift bolero 712sb
Exp
10 years
purely for the freedom, to go where I want when I want, within reason.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
we do the later to get away from the former.:D(y)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I asked myself the same question. So we sold the Motorhome put the money back in the bank. now rent a 3 bedroom two bathroom villa with satellite Internet and every thing we need overlooking Moraira for 6 months price €500 per month €17 per night
Moraira,,,Estate Agents nic name it GODS WAITING ROOM,,,,Tried villas,,prefer the company and freedom of travelling,,Good job we are not all the same,,BUSBY:D2:D2

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Simples.....FUN

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
If we did that knowing my luck when we got there the villa would not exist. Haha

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I've been asking myself WHY a lot lately ...and sadly may look towards giving up next year ... it's a real struggle financially on single money .... I envy those that are financially sound and the freedom it gives you must be amazing ...

I often used to ask myself when out in the mh ... if I won the lottery what would I be doing differently ... answer 'nothing'. That sounds a contradiction but it isn't .. it takes money to do nothing differently. :)

kip

Free Member
Apr 26, 2015
Bulphan
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Must be the Itinerant in me.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Must be the “ typo “ in me ;)

Can’t beleive your thinking about buying another van Paul !
How many is that , you’ve had , now ?
It’s not as though you can downsize , either, now the boys don’t go with you , with those 2 huge bears of yours .

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Must be the “ typo “ in me ;)

Can’t beleive your thinking about buying another van Paul !
How many is that , you’ve had , now ?
It’s not as though you can downsize , either, now the boys don’t go with you , with those 2 huge bears of yours .
ha ha, we are on our 4th van in about 14 years? Loved all of them tbh.. just get bored too quickly...

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Ok Here,s another angle for you Haganap to consider:
Maybe you subconsciously enjoy, or need to endure the risk of something not working in your Mh, and then having to suss it out to fix it, or make amends to continue your travels.
The feeling of relief that you get, when you arrive at your destination without any hiccups, like a prang or getting lost, or finding a new place that exceeds your expectations.
Continually having to make your income, savings and investments, work harder to allow you to travel when you like, or maybe change or upgrade your MH when you see something else you fancy?
The fact is we could all sit back on our rocking chairs at home, but I believe most long term MH owners feel the need to live outside the box, in that they need to not only explore new horizons, but continue on the learning curve that is required to keep pace with modern day life, in getting the most out of the time we have left in our mortal coils.
I will admit, that I for one need a little bit of voluntary stress in life to keep me sharp, and love learning about things that I maybe wouldn't even have considered even 10 years ago.
We never know whats around the next corner in life, we have to make the best of what we can.....WHILE WE CAN....NOW I HEAR MYSELF SHOUTING AT MYSELF!!!!

Lets hope I listen!!!

Les

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Ok Here,s another angle for you Haganap to consider:
Maybe you subconsciously enjoy, or need to endure the risk of something not working in your Mh, and then having to suss it out to fix it, or make amends to continue your travels.
The feeling of relief that you get, when you arrive at your destination without any hiccups, like a prang or getting lost, or finding a new place that exceeds your expectations.
Continually having to make your income, savings and investments, work harder to allow you to travel when you like, or maybe change or upgrade your MH when you see something else you fancy?
The fact is we could all sit back on our rocking chairs at home, but I believe most long term MH owners feel the need to live outside the box, in that they need to not only explore new horizons, but continue on the learning curve that is required to keep pace with modern day life, in getting the most out of the time we have left in our mortal coils.
I will admit, that I for one need a little bit of voluntary stress in life to keep me sharp, and love learning about things that I maybe wouldn't even have considered even 10 years ago.
We never know whats around the next corner in life, we have to make the best of what we can.....WHILE WE CAN....NOW I HEAR MYSELF SHOUTING AT MYSELF!!!!

Lets hope I listen!!!

Les

then you need a bessacarr, ha ha. Our's was the best van in terms of comfort, but boy if you wanted stress then you should get one of these,, every journey with the kids was a "guess what's going to break" or "dad I'm getting wet" journey...

BTW met my wife in Camberley at Ragamufins many years ago.

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
Because we love it . Weve been camping now in one form or another for 22yrs since Jo came to the UK.Started with trailer tents,folding campers,caravans and the last 13yrs have been RV,s and back to european motorhome.Its been difficult some times getting time out with our business but the last couple of years things have started to come together and we are taking a lot more time off.This year we have visited some beautiful places in Yorkshire,Derbyshire,Dorset,wales and many more.Got no interest in going abroad. The UK is such a beautiful country.I know the weather is a bit iffy sometimes but get kitted out and get out there and enjoy.I know the day will eventually come when we have to stop but i hope that is a few years away yet.
Brian & Jo

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
ha ha, we are on our 4th van in about 14 years? Loved all of them tbh.. just get bored too quickly...
I thought it must be more than that, I’m sure this is the third since we’ve known you since us being on fun .....
Hope you get a good un, which ever one you decide on.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Its the hunter gatherer cave man in us we have to be on the move.
We have to give us shelter.
So we go off to the NEC or the dealer or in my case eBAY to find the perfect cave for our family and tame wolfs.
we then have to provide them with food so we go hunting we sneak up on a Alidy or lidos or good forbid Tesco.
Grab a wobbly trolley fill it full of crap you would never dreem of eating at home taking in to account the pay load
We then stealthily with draw from the car par to find somewhere safe to feed our tribe.
Send the wolf out to mark our aria to keep any unwanted beast away
make our fires to cook our food in this case build the Cadack or Weber
we then exhaust our resources run out of wine or beer go on the hunt agane
to find more food and drink
dose this help to ex-plane it @haganap
bill

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.