Oil filled radiator and electric blanket (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
It is forecasted to be cold on Tuesday night. If I leave the van for a few hours I often leave the oil filled radiator and the electric blanket on low, however, on Tuesday I will be out all afternoon and evening until around 11pm. I obviously want to come back to a warm van and as I am on electric hook up don't really want to leave the Webasto pumping away. Both radiator and blanket are in good working order yet something is nagging in the back of my head. Do others often leave them on unattended for what will be 10/11 hours?

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
You can always put the electrics on a plug-timer and set its on and off settings as required

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Personally,I’d be very happy to leave the rad on,but not the blanket. Think they are less likely to cause problems but don’t have any hard facts to back that up. You could always put blanket on for 20mins when you return,if needed.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Wus!.:D2. Cold showers(y). Early morning Run, lots of Hot porridge!.;). Who needs Heaters and Blankets!:whistle:

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Another thumbs -up for the oil rad, they do not draw too much electricity and should be safe to leave on all night/day. Over the years many people have used them and I have not yet heard of any problems, provided they are in good condition.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I would leave the Webasto on a low setting and forget the other 2, that's what it is designed for, much safer too.

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
We always leave our oil rad on, never had a problem. (probably will now!! )
Cheers, Dave(y)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Both radiator and blanket are in good working order yet something is nagging in the back of my head.

Insurance cover perhaps ?

as far as I know, portable heaters, which would include electric blankets left unattended are not covered by van insurance , in the event of a fire, however unlikely, insurer won't pay out.. Read instructions on both.. many portable heaters say not to be left unattended..

If in doubt.. ask insurer

Would I do it.. no.

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
Nothing is 100% safe but I recon an oil filled radiator must be pretty close. Gas powered heating systems surely have more chances of going Kerboom we all leave our houses with various heating/warming/ventilation/chilling/freezer and goodness only know what else running why would an electric item be any greater risk in a MH..... BUT.... still I PERSONALLY would not use an electric blanket as I have had personal experience of one going pop and setting fire to my bed at home. See .......contradictions everywhere .... you pays your money and you takes your chance !!

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Is your Webasto heater ducted inside the van and does it have a timer?
If it’s ducted, it’s going to much more efficient than an oil filled rad, if it has a timer, set it to come on an hour or so before you get back to the van.
If neither apply, leave it on low, you can always turn it up when you get back.
And what’s an electric blanket?

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
If you have to ask, maybe it'd be safer not to as you're likely to end up worrying about it. Shame, because I'd leave them on.

Jun 1, 2010
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Micro campervan
Exp
Since 2012
I can't stand the cold so when it's cold I leave my oil filled radiator on 24/7 and never had any problems though I always check that nothing could fall on it. I only put my electric blanket on when I'm in the van.

OP
OP

Deleted User
If you have to ask, maybe it'd be safer not to as you're likely to end up worrying about it. Shame, because I'd leave them on.
That's a very good point and my own motto as it happens, no point having a night out and constantly thinking about it, however, on this occasion if it's forecast cold on the day it's staying on

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
That's a very good point and my own motto as it happens, no point having a night out and constantly thinking about it, however, on this occasion if it's forecast cold on the day it's staying on
Good for you. I hope you keep nice 'n cosy!

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
Yep when ours is at home between trips in the winter we leave a small oil filled Rad on all the time
Brian & Jo

Aug 11, 2012
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1975 on and off.
Nothing is 100% safe but I recon an oil filled radiator must be pretty close. Gas powered heating systems surely have more chances of going Kerboom we all leave our houses with various heating/warming/ventilation/chilling/freezer and goodness only know what else running why would an electric item be any greater risk in a MH..... BUT.... still I PERSONALLY would not use an electric blanket as I have had personal experience of one going pop and setting fire to my bed at home. See .......contradictions everywhere .... you pays your money and you takes your chance !!
Had same experience with a blanket at home some years ago so a no from me.
Rad should be fine though.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Sussed me out there!

We used t` scrape t` frost off t` inside ot` bedroom winders as kids!. Run 5 miles to school in`t bare feet, et` bread an`t dripping for dinner, Our mum did 10hr shifts down`t pit and then kept `uose. Eh! lad! thee dint nor the is barn to-day!. (apologies to Tony Capstick)

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We use an oil filled rad but no leccy blanket!
We often leave the rad on when really cold, I wouldn't leave a leccy blanket on.
When we were living in our house, one time there was smoke coming out of next door house, called fire brigade. Chap,living on his own, had left blanket on and it set fire to inside of house!

Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
Personally We don't leave any heating on when we leave the van, and yes it is bloody cold when we get back to it, Friday last arrived back around midnight -2 out and only 6 in. Turn the furnace straight on and by the time we've boiled the kettle for hot water bottles its already starting to warm up. No heating on over night then first one who wants the loo in the mornings hits the furnace again then half hour later were all toasty.

I know when we are paying for hookup you sort of think I'm going to get my moneys worth (rightly So) but it used to drive me insane when I worked on a campsite and on the evening walk rounds there'd be so many empty vans (to be fair mainly caravans) with electric heaters on full running in awnings.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Personally We don't leave any heating on when we leave the van, and yes it is bloody cold when we get back to it, Friday last arrived back around midnight -2 out and only 6 in. Turn the furnace straight on and by the time we've boiled the kettle for hot water bottles its already starting to warm up. No heating on over night then first one who wants the loo in the mornings hits the furnace again then half hour later were all toasty.

I know when we are paying for hookup you sort of think I'm going to get my moneys worth (rightly So) but it used to drive me insane when I worked on a campsite and on the evening walk rounds there'd be so many empty vans (to be fair mainly caravans) with electric heaters on full running in awnings.

We've worked on campsites and yes it's amazing the amount of heaters left on in awnings!
One we saw was a seasonal 'resident' & he left his heating on all winter-he wasn't there just a nice cosy awning!

OP
OP

Deleted User
We used t` scrape t` frost off t` inside ot` bedroom winders as kids!. Run 5 miles to school in`t bare feet, et` bread an`t dripping for dinner, Our mum did 10hr shifts down`t pit and then kept `uose. Eh! lad! thee dint nor the is barn to-day!. (apologies to Tony Capstick)

Love the narration, begining to feel a bit nesh, pampered and spoilt. Love coming back to a warm van though so might just live with the feeling one more time. looks like radiator on low and leccy blanket 20 mins before bed wins the day and an apology to site owner for abuse of power supply.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We don't leave any heating on when we are out, with most vans having a 6 kw heater it only takes a few minutes to warm up, never use heating at night either. We do set the timer to so that we have hot water for a shower and a warm van when we get up.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
You can buy temperature operated plug-in switches, into which you can plug your heater etc.
I set mine at about 6 to 8 degrees and I have a 4 foot long tube heater mounted on a non flammable piece of board that I plug in.
This prevents any freezing and only uses 40 watt per foot of tube.
Works for us.
Mitch.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back