May 2, 2017
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail V Line 540
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi Folks,
Been thinking about ways to keep the chill off the inside of the MH during the winter months if it's not being used (hope to be able to make some winter trips) as I have the luxury of it being able to sit on the drive with mains hook up. A MH'ing friend has suggested a small oil filled radiator on a timer set to come on for a short period during the coldest nights....says it has also prevented problems with his boiler too (not sure what he meant by that but I'm guessing he means preventing it from dumping the water...sound right?
Does anyone have any experience of doing what I describe? Is it even necessary? Does anyone carry any of these rads as a supplemental heat source for winter camping when on hookup? If so, any recommendations ...brands, kW's etc?

We have a Truma Combi 6 boiler so maybe I could just set that on low since I have the opportunity to use cheap rate hookup?
Sorry about the "multi question" approach but you have all been so helpful in the past I know someone is going to have the answers! :)
Many thanks in anticipation of your help.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
In the past we have used oil-filled electric radiators - in our previous coachbuilt - to keep the van heated when away in it. Worked extremely well. We had one rated at 600 watts and another rated at 1,000 watts, so we could use one or both dependent on electrical supply and how cold it was.

We generally drain down in winter and don't heat the van. Just put water in if we want to go away for a weekend or something, but it doesn't happen too often in the winter.

I'd advise against routinely using the Truma electric heating when the van is on the drive. Apparently, the electric elements don't last for ever and - subject to accessibility - can be very expensive to repair / replace! Also, you'll get some wear on the fan bearings too if you're running right through the winter. I guess there are folk who full-time who have it running all the time, but for my money, if you really want background heat while parked at home, I'd go the oil-filled radiator route.

Upvote 0
Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I had to use an oil filled radiator for a couple of months, checking on it every few days and it leaked onto the floor. Might be worth sitting it in a shallow tray or something if you decide to use one. Personally I don't heat my van over winter.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2017
North West, UK
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 Transporter
Exp
Never stop learning šŸ˜Š
I do that in our caravan over winter (yes, I am a closet tugger as well as a PVC owner !!)

It put a few quid on the electric bill, but we often use the caravan as a spare room if more of husbandā€™s family want to visit than we have room in the house for, so to us it is worth it. Our is a ā€œ De'Longhi Bambino TRN0505M Oil Filled Radiator - 500 Wattā€ which came from Amazon but no longer available, but a newer model might be around.

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Don't bother with a timer. It's a thermostat you need.
If you don't want to use the electric part of your Truma (which will work OK without water in the system), get a small greenhouse heater. They have a better frost control. The Truma may do a better job, though, because it will distribute warm air all around (use it on both elements).
I used to use the inbuilt (Alde) heater but decided against "heating the Sparrows". Just allow plenty of air circulation, instead, then bring it up to 'normal' temperature for a day while you get it ready for the next outing and cool the fridge. I take it off EHU in-between outings because I'm not convinced that it's a good thing to be keeping the batteries endlessly on float.

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I have used oil filled rads in my mohomes for years with the stat low and always have a vent just open and a rodent bait trap outside as they love a warm place for winter.

Upvote 0

RedFrame

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
Self Build W907 PVC
Exp
Sept 2017
I just drain down everything and let it go cold with ventilation it's always been fine for me.

There's a lot of mentions of ventilation... What should you open/how much?

Cheers
Bannock, Chris and Red.

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Over winter, try and let the air flow, especially around the corners. Open all cupboards and lift cushions. Rather than clamp everything down, leave a roof vent slightly ajar (but not enough to let rain splash in). I don't think you can have too much air. If safe to do so, you could put a couple of opposing windows on the 'first latch'. Dry the fridge and freezer and wedge the doors open.
If damp can collect, that's where you might get mildew. You don't have to do as above but it will reduce the chance of damp/condensation on colder surfaces. Remove sources of damp, like towels or water in a kettle. And remove any food that may invite rodents. None of these problems are certain, but can happen. It's a matter of how much you want to prevent them. Remember to close the external openings when you come to put the heating on.

Upvote 0

Darcar

Free Member
Oct 27, 2016
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Vario
Exp
Since 1975
Use your van more!
Or
we leave the eh in and have a dehumidifier in the van, this gives a little heat and keeps it dry.
Darcar

Upvote 0

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
A cereal dish filled with salt and placed on the floor of the 'van will draw moisture from the atmosphere. It's surprising how much water collects in the dish, so remember to check it regularly.

Upvote 0
Oct 23, 2017
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747 - 2
Exp
Since 2007
The reason you will need to vent and lift any cushions is during winter any sun on the windows causes the motorhome to heat up then later a sudden drop in temperature makes condensation where theirs warmth.

Question if you leave any portable heaters in over winter if thereā€™s a fire would the insurance company try to worm out of any claim ?

Upvote 0

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Why would you want to heat you van when you are not using it?There are loads of motorhomes in dealer's compounds that don't get heated and they don't get ruined.

If you are not going to use your van over winter then drain it down. If the temperature drops below 3 degrees some vans drop the water from the boiler as a safety mechanism. Even if i was using my van in winter i would drain down if it was to be parked up for a few days.

Read about winterising your van for best practice. Heating your van will only let the air hold more moisture which will condense on the coldest surfaces when it gets a chance.

My garden shed and garage don't get any problems in winter and i don't heat them.

Upvote 0

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Out of interest then does anyone use their silver screens when winterising their van?
Or just pull the consatina privacy blinds across?

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I wouldn't recommend leaving a blind in its stretched position because it may reduce the spring tension. Use curtains, if there are any. It's a good idea to keep them drawn and away from cold spots (more important on boats) to air.

Upvote 0
Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
A cereal dish filled with salt and placed on the floor of the 'van will draw moisture from the atmosphere. It's surprising how much water collects in the dish, so remember to check it regularly.

A good tip.

My mum has a static caravan and when she closes it down for the winter she puts a bucket containing salt in every room and two in the lounge dining area, they soak up a lot of moisture.

Also on those dry, sunny and windy days we go to it and open all the doors and windows for a few hours.

With my MoHo I use it often in the winter so I do not worry too much but on similar days I will take it out for a long drive, engine heater on full blast, front windows open to blow air through.

Upvote 0
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I put an oil filled radiator in for the first couple of weeks when we get back to help dry any moisture out. Then it stays cold and ventilated for the rest of the winter.

With the radiators, consider the amount of fins and size rather than wattage, they all get to the same temperature and switch off, it's just that the lower wattage ones take a bit longer to heat up.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back