LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
If you want to buy a motorhome abroad it might be worth setting one up to convert your money piecemeal and when the rate suits you so you have the money ready for the right MoHo to come along and you can buy quickly.

If you are just thinking of holidays then I don't think its worth it. You will find the bank charges make it uneconomical. Not thought about opening an account with a foreign bank abroad.

Either take some cash and a Halifax card or preload a credit card like FX etc.

Brexit may well re-introduce currency controls that used to exist before the Euro restricting what you can take out of the country.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Any one who has one is unlikely to reveal the fact .
If you can qualify then having a local account if a frequent visitor to a particular country can be useful . It wont be a true "offshore a/c" as it will be directly attributable to you

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
Any one who has one is unlikely to reveal the fact .
If you can qualify then having a local account if a frequent visitor to a particular country can be useful . It wont be a true "offshore a/c" as it will be directly attributable to you
Don’t see why, we have a few. Perfect for keeping transaction charges low and managing currency risks. With internet banking administration is also simple

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I can recommend Quinta Majay as an excellent offshore banking haven :D2.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It depends what you mean by 'offshore' account, the terms is usually associated with when you have money in an account in a tax haven country, such as Jersey, Lichtenstein, Switzerland etc, however these account are no longer able to be 'hidden' as since last year I believe HMRC has to be notified about them and I'm not sure if the banks themselves have to do this now or if you do it yourself (and no I haven't got one! :D) ... its just what I've researched this morning or already knew.

However if you are simply referring to a 'foreign' bank account, eg in Spain, France etc then the above comments from others give the reasons for having one.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
As Minxy says.... To me anyway "offshore" usually means a place to stash some cash away but they have tightened it all up.
May be some benefit ref good interest rates but you may not have the security.

"Overseas" ie a Spanish account, maybe.. However following my experience in the past 5 years since having an account to to cover my bills for "tonks towers" in Benidorm, they all just want to stiff you and charge for almost everything.. So check the charges very carefully. Mine even took a fee when i transfered cash into the account from the Uk !!..

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Lester Piggott is my favourite person caught with overseas accounts. He was given the opportunity to declare all the accounts and duly did so then paid his fine with another overseas account which he still hadn't declared. Off to jail. What a ...

WSandME

Free Member
Aug 9, 2016
Wigan-ish
Funster No
MH
Hymer B660 Bestline
Exp
SInce 2006
Which reminds me if the old joke:

Q. Which 18 stone gorilla rode a Derby winner?

A. Lester Piggot's cell mate!

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Some money traders will hold onto the euros for you. You agree a rate before you purchase currency. Hifx offer this service.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
We have one in Australia

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2015
lake district
Funster No
MH
low profile mh
Exp
Since 2015
We have a euros account in spain . We have bills to pay otherwise we wouldn't have one,
Changing sterling to euros in spain is invariably a better rate than forex
Charges are high compared to uk. Charges for account management , for credit card, for proving you are non resident and Per Transaction charges , it is eye watering compared to free U.K. Banking.
Get yourself a good uk credit card that has minimal charges for using abroad . Saga or nationwide I believe are best

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have a euros account in spain . We have bills to pay otherwise we wouldn't have one,
Changing sterling to euros in spain is invariably a better rate than forex
Charges are high compared to uk. Charges for account management , for credit card, for proving you are non resident and Per Transaction charges , it is eye watering compared to free U.K. Banking.
Get yourself a good uk credit card that has minimal charges for using abroad . Saga or nationwide I believe are best
Would you be better off using a Revolut card/account for your Euro bills rather than an actual bank account?

Dec 28, 2015
lake district
Funster No
MH
low profile mh
Exp
Since 2015
Would you be better off using a Revolut card/account for your Euro bills rather than an actual bank account?
Sadly no as we have direct debits etc. It's almost impossible to manage without a bank account but thanks for the input

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Sadly no as we have direct debits etc. It's almost impossible to manage without a bank account but thanks for the input
Might be worth keeping an eye on the Revolut current account as DDs could be part of it in the future:

Once funded, the Revolut account is like having a local bank account wherever you are. You can spend or transfer money around the globe fee-free with the real exchange rate and take advantage of other features like blocking your card temporarily, splitting bills instantly with your phone contacts and real-time payment notifications.

Coming soon to Revolut current accounts…
  • Direct debits
  • Savings
  • Credit
  • Personal IBANs for EUR and USD

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

Theoretically & legally under the Single European Payment Area scheme you shoud be able to pay them all using a bank account in any country. Unfortunately most spanish entities , regardless of who they are , have payment details that still don't comply with the SEPA directive.
When I click on any dd paid from my spanish accounts & it comes up it will always have an addendum attached stating that it doesn't comply.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_Euro_Payments_Area

ymfb

Free Member
Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
Unless you can open an a/c in Kazakhstan or somewhere really off shore the only only advantage would be convenience to avoid transaction costs. We have Euro and Dollar accounts at work, not sure high street banks offer them for individuals but if they do they won't be free.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I've got one.

Craig
One of these? :D2

stock-vector-man-and-money-and-ride-in-boat-in-flat-style-man-rolls-cash-on-gondola-appointment-of-dollar-in-432186763.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back