Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
Wow what a adventure, sounds great, I nearly didn't open thread because I didn't connect it to anything (googled it Spirituality) when I read your post.
Up to you entirely but could you start a thread with a title something like "off on a 3 year adventure."
So many funsters I'm sure would love to follow your travels.

Best of Luck and have an amazing time. (y)

Have just picked up on this thread. Bon voyage, @Alistair33, and we look forward to reading about your adventures.

Hope you do decide to go to the Mosel Valley. We were there in 2015 and, despite so-so weather, it was really worth the trip. Enjoy!

P.S. We agree with Carol. The title of the thread may stop people from reading further.

Thanks fro the comments and suggestion following on from a previous thread, in many ways we are making a news start so there's no reason this thread shouldn't too !

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Looking forward to reading about your adventures.. whatever the title..

We plan to do something similar when the kids have left home but will only have a year because we won't be using a brand new van. Our destination will be set though. Sydney.

Hoping to learn lots from you other adventurers in the meantime

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
Norway 2017 014.JPG

This is a map we saw this June in Norway on the side of a French motorhome and it shows everywhere they have taken it since their retirement..They were a couple perhaps in their late 70s.

So you will need to widen your horizons compared to the map posted on your original thread!! I think the Australia and New Zealand were done in a hired van the rest in their own..

It was their third visit to the Arctic Circle so even with this amount of travelling they've run out of new areas to visit..

They've not been to the UK, they've been told the roads are narrow, not well kept, very busy.. as she said a bit like India!!

Reactions: DBK

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
So looking forward to following your thread, time goes by so quickly no good putting of things you would like/can do. When Eddie and I finished working 13 years ago we said if we can just have 5 good years it would be lovely, now at 13 years with the same van we are still enjoying it, but I'd love to know where those years have gone it's flown by.
Enjoy every minute and remember, "Your never on the wrong road just a different one"

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
I hope you have a safe, happy and enjoyable adventure(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Thanks fro the comments and suggestion following on from a previous thread, in many ways we are making a news start so there's no reason this thread shouldn't too !
Wish you all the best , glad you changed the title or I might have missed it(y)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Best wishes! I think full timing takes a particular mindset. I don't think many folk could go on a two or three year holiday. It probably needs a change in attitude so it's like living in one place - except the scenery changes every now and again. :)
We had a very prolific poster on here for a while who shot around Europe in a couple of years then came home. Nothing wrong with that, they had a great time I'm sure, but long term full timing is different, it has to become a way of life I think.
So I guess you either continue in holiday mode, with the risk after a while you realise you've been everywhere and get bored. Or just pootle about slowly taking pleasure in your own company. Or something in between - but whatever you do have a good time. :)

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Best wishes! I think full timing takes a particular mindset. I don't think many folk could go on a two or three year holiday. It probably needs a change in attitude so it's like living in one place - except the scenery changes every now and again. :)
We had a very prolific poster on here for a while who shot around Europe in a couple of years then came home. Nothing wrong with that, they had a great time I'm sure, but long term full timing is different, it has to become a way of life I think.
So I guess you either continue in holiday mode, with the risk after a while you realise you've been everywhere and get bored. Or just pootle about slowly taking pleasure in your own company. Or something in between - but whatever you do have a good time. :)
Yes, we are three months in to a six month North America trip in our motorhome which we shipped. Loving it but not sure about three years. Will go home, plan again and do a different trip but some home comforts first.

Enjoy your adventure

Our thread below

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/great-american-road-trip.135979/page-11#post-2436977

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few times😉
Great stuff @Alistair33 keep the pictures flowing(y)
Looking for a little push ourselves your thread might just do it.
Stay safe & enjoy:cool:

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Absolutely fantastic. Bon voyage and looking forward to seeing your blog. Great stuff

OP
OP
Alistair33

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
They are exactly the kinds of questions we are looking to answer. Home is still North Yorkshire and there, accessible at any time.

It is we think trying to get over the idea that what we are embarking on is not a holiday but as you say a way of life !

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
not a holiday but as you say a way of life !

Don't get too cocky, the gypsies have done it for many a year and can offer cheap tarmac at the same time.

Enjoy.

Don't forget to pack the box of lucky heather.

OP
OP
Alistair33

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
We arrived two hours early and they are running an hour late !

The car park has a few motorhomes but is rammed full of white vans, tendered by young rough looking males, apparently there or four to a van, the vans are full and I mean full of "merchandise " and have registration numbers form the likes of RO, PL
& SK ...... if I didn't know better I'd think we were crossing the other way and if this was an aire I'd move on to the next one !

image.jpg

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Alistair when you said you were off I didn't realise it was for 3 years!!!
Have a fantastic time and enjoy the experience , you will have to return for MOTs etc but it will be a wonderful experience !
Hope you will keep in touch as I like your posts on the forum and photos would be a plus!!
Bon voyage and safe travels!

When we caught the ferry last year at 6 am on a Sunday morning we were the only English speaking people!!!

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
We arrived two hours early and they are running an hour late !

The car park has a few motorhomes but is rammed full of white vans, tendered by young rough looking males, apparently there or four to a van, the vans are full and I mean full of "merchandise " and have registration numbers form the likes of RO, PL
& SK ...... if I didn't know better I'd think we were crossing the other way and if this was an aire I'd move on to the next one !

View attachment 176072

Are you suggesting an exodus? when we last came over to the UK in April the ferry didn't seem to have any East Europeans vans or minibuses waiting in Calais...

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
IMG_1108.GIF
Have a fab trip. Remember to keep posting as you go along. :)

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Have a great time Alistair, I look forward to reading about your adventure.:)

OP
OP
Alistair33

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
Certainly not going to make this a nightly routine but to say thanks for all your good wishes..

We have arrived at the Citi de Europe and are parked up for the night along with maybe another dozen or so vans. Now I just need to convince Bets that sleeping in a shopping centre car park is the new retirement chic !

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
After about a year into a 3 year full timing adventure we woke one morning in central Spain and wondered where to go or what to do next, east, west, north or south the choice was ours. It hit us both at the same time, that we were at last free of all the baggage that comes with everyday life, completely free to choose to be or do what ever we liked, a very magical moment we always remember.

For 3 years we woke up looking forward to every new day, even though sometimes we found we were in a very odd spots if we had arrived after dark, but we always laughed at the rare hiccups. In the end we realised why we had escaped 'normal' life, it was so simple, to discover who we are...

Two bits of advice for being out there on your own. Always trust your instincts even if sometimes you are wrong, and give people the benefit of the doubt especially if you don't really understand their culture, it can often bring totally unexpected good experiences.

You are a credit to yourselves doing what you are doing, Rosie and I wish you the very best, bon courage!

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
WoW just caught up with this thread I hope you have a great time if our V5 ever comes back from the dvla we may catch up with you

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
As an afterthought, Alistair, do you have a Kindle? We've just finished reading "A Blonde, A Dog and a Motorhome: What could possibly go wrong?" by Sandie Dunn. Very entertaining and lots of good tips.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back