Off Gallivanting again - advice needed..... (1 Viewer)

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
We are hoping to go off on a wander on the 8th December for a week. We usually 'do' the Lake District in a vain attempt to walk off a bit of weight before Christmas. After a disastrous attempt last year, we (as in the Royal We) have decided to visit Kent this year.

We are going to stay in the Canterbury Park and Ride for two nights, to enable me to feed my 'religious icon' need of visiting Thomas Becket's Tomb, but after that we are not sure where to go. I've found 'The Dirty Habit' in Hollingbourne so have emailed them to see if we can stay there for a night (after spotting two motorhome roofs in their car park on Street Maps.... ), as it's on the Pilgrim Way, so walking and cycling are on the doorstep.

I (whoops I mean We) then fancy Whitstable and maybe the Medway Towns - any suggestions for stopovers and places to visit would be very much appreciated. (y)

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
personally, i'd avoid the medway towns like the plague, okay, there's rochester, the castle is, well just a shell really, cathedral is okay, but canterbury is far, far nicer..

the dirty habit used to be good for food but haven't been there for a while, and just down the road is leeds castle with it's moat, beautiful place..

ramsgate is lovely around the harbour, and the belgian cafe by there has some good grub and beer and plenty of local characters to chat to..

sandwich of course is interesting for a wander around as no doubt @scousebird will agree..

then theres dungeness, you'll either love it or hate it, i love it, so much atmosphere for what is in effect a desert of pebbles, and can highly recommend eating at the pilot inn..

rye is really worth a visit too..

and hastings old town up by the fishermens black net buildings, lovely little maritime museum as well that's worth pottering around..

actually, kent is lovely, and am not saying that just because it's my home county, honest. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks for that Toni, a wealth of information that we will print off and use! I've heard of Dungeness - is it a wildlife sanctuary ? I fancied looking around Rochester Cathedral and Leeds Castle, so have now knocked the other Medway Towns off the itinerary!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
then theres dungeness, you'll either love it or hate it, i love it, so much atmosphere for what is in effect a desert of pebbles, and can highly recommend eating at the pilot inn..
@cliffandger We stay overnight in the carpark of The Pilot Inn before we get the chunnel - nice food and as Dryad said it's a nice atmosphere. We will be there on Saturday.
Dungeness 070415 (4).JPG

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
That's another night sorted then - thanks Ann - we won't be there on Saturday unfortunately - are you off on your travels then?

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
@cliffandger will post as you go along please? All the places have been on the list for years. Done a couple but would like to revisit.

I liked Bexhill alot, not far from Hastings but that was in caravan days.
X

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
we are going to do Rye in February there was a programme the other night on television about scallops from Rye they looked lush and no calories in scallops. ;)

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
we are going to do Rye in February there was a programme the other night on television about scallops from Rye they looked lush and no calories in scallops. ;)
We watched that programme too, so will definitely give Rye a go.

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
@cliffandger will post as you go along please? All the places have been on the list for years. Done a couple but would like to revisit.

I liked Bexhill alot, not far from Hastings but that was in caravan days.
X
Will start a new thread when we leave home! (y)

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Isn't Rye inland?:confused:

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Isn't Rye inland?:confused:
It's got a harbour. So must be close to the sea. Apparently the best scallops are from there they harvest when they are three years old. The can tell the age by the rings on the shell like trees. There I have saved you watching the programme. @cliffandger i can't remember the programme can you?

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
It's got a harbour. So must be close to the sea. Apparently the best scallops are from there they harvest when they are three years old. The can tell the age by the rings on the shell like trees. There I have saved you watching the programme. @cliffandger i can't remember the programme can you?
It may have been this one - an excerpt of which I probably watched on Saturday Kitchen?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04gtxw1

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Just off to the Uke Jam, so will catch up on my 'where to go' list later - thanks for the suggestions so far. (y)

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Toni - that's brilliant - thanks so much for that. The St Thomas a Becket church is definitely on the list!

I had read that Dungeness was a wildlife reserve, so will wander over there too. (y)
A thread on ' relics' lovely!!! But a bonus loads of shops with Christmas 'tat' / collectables will be available!!!

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
If you are considering north Kent coast then I would recommend Chatham Historic Dockyard. We stayed on a nearby CL but may not be suitable/open this time of year.

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
image.jpg
and just remembered, if you're national trust members there is the beautiful and romantic scotney castle, bodiam castle and............etc, etc, etc..

i love this photo i took at scotney, (one of my better snaps) 'tis one of my favourite places to go to..
image.jpg

just realised, you're only coming for a week, i'd better shut up now or you'll need to be here for a month.. :D

Oct 5, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
Ci Mizar Gtl
Exp
Hi, would love to know if the Dirty Habit allow you to overnight in their car park, we have eaten there a few times and have had a great experience, or you could try The Windmill on the same road only a couple of minutes away which also serves fantastic food. The Bearstead cc site is only a 5min drive if you get stuck! Would also recommend The Black Horse in Thurnham or the Ringlestone Inn! Good luck!

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Hi, would love to know if the Dirty Habit allow you to overnight in their car park, we have eaten there a few times and have had a great experience, or you could try The Windmill on the same road only a couple of minutes away which also serves fantastic food. The Bearstead cc site is only a 5min drive if you get stuck! Would also recommend The Black Horse in Thurnham or the Ringlestone Inn! Good luck!
I looked up the Dirty Habit on Street Maps, and I saw what looked like two vans in the car park with sky dishes up.... so I have emailed them. Thanks for the other suggestions - with all the help from funster mates, it's shaping up to be a brilliant week! :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back