Odd sequence of lights on tester on site (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
It’s not important to have mains power where we are but as it’s included thought I would connect
I have 2 testers the first grey on said all good 2 lights OK
So connected to find a very odd clicking noise in the garage it was my other tester plugged into a socket that was switched off the 3rd light red was on
Put this tester into extension from site pillar and it shows all 3 lights which are 2 green and one red
Anyone know what’s wrong
I had the second tester
Grey one first tester
All three li

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Does the test button on the RCD work? The mains box should have one RCD trip switch and one or more MCB trip switches. The one with the test button on it is the RCD. It needs an earth to work, so if the test button doesn't trip it, probably the earth is not connected. That is a safety problem.

If the wiring is correct, what lights are on? and if the 'polarity' is reversed, what lights are on? The supply might be a centre-tapped transformer, so that the two power wires are each 115V, not live and neutral. That causes two lights to go on, instead of just one.

OP
OP
PeterCarole29

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
Does the test button on the RCD work? The mains box should have one RCD trip switch and one or more MCB trip switches. The one with the test button on it is the RCD. It needs an earth to work, so if the test button doesn't trip it, probably the earth is not connected. That is a safety problem.

If the wiring is correct, what lights are on? and if the 'polarity' is reversed, what lights are on? The supply might be a centre-tapped transformer, so that the two power wires are each 115V, not live and neutral. That causes two lights to go on, instead of just one.
IMG_6105.jpeg
All three lights at the top continuously flash and it ticks rather than buzzes I will try a vidoe

Mar 18, 2015
Burrough on the Hill, Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Summit Prime 640
Exp
Since 2014
I'm getting two green and one red every time I plug into a Shuko Socket out here in Norway. Tried rotating the plug 180 deg, no change. Everything on the van works OK, so think it's an issue with the way the earth in the post is wired.
Stopped testing when I plug in now.

OP
OP
PeterCarole29

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
M

anaged to show a video although after several second the red light disappeared

OP
OP
PeterCarole29

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
As said not a problem (because I won’t plug in and we do have enough power )but would like to understand for the future

Nov 15, 2023
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Looks like this is full light configuration and seems to be a live fault what voltage are you getting with a multimeter ?

1716742189908.png

Jul 29, 2022
Watford, Hertfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
Exp
Since 2021
If socket in garage is single pole then only Live is isolated, if double pole you can stop reading now.
Missing Live/Phase is not a fault sequence the device can detect, from list.
May seem a little extreme but could that sequence have damaged it, if the other tester reads OK on pillar and the blue one doesn't,
that would be my guess.
Try then both directly into another pillar?

Presuming no Lithium/Inverter powering sockets?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
PeterCarole29

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
I have not got the tester out quite a few campers watching but I will put my lead in and get the tester out and post

OP
OP
PeterCarole29

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
229v both live and neutral correct
As the red light seems now intermittent don’t think I will solve it

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
229v both live and neutral correct
Between which two pins is that? Live and neutral, I presume. Did you check the voltage between live and earth? Also the voltage between neutral and earth? I'm guessing that both of these voltages are high enough to switch on the appropriate LEDs.
LED1 shows a non-zero voltage between neutral and live
LED2 shows a non-zero voltage between earth and live.
LED3 shows a non-zero voltage between neutral and earth.

So if everything is correct, there is voltage between live and neutral (LED1) and live and earth (LED2), but no voltage between neutral and earth (LED3)

However if the two power wires are at 115V each relative to earth, with 230V between them, then all three LEDs will be on. It's nothing to worry about, as long as the hookup post and your MH have an RCD on the mains supply.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
PeterCarole29

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
Thanks for the explanation
Yes I did try neutral to earth and live to earth and there was no voltage
I couldn’t check the bollard for an RCD
I would suspect it does have one as we are currently on a municible site and they do normally abide by regulations
Still didn’t use it
Now I understand I would in future also the mention of checking the breaker works on the van when connected to highly a posible problem is worth knowing
As I wired in a single socket totally separate from the multiplus can safeguard any possible damage by checking on this socket first

OP
OP
PeterCarole29

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
I have been particularly cautious because last yr in our previous van damaged the inverter charger and had to replace it due to an incoming electric fault or surge posibly

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Been a bit busy only just caught back up with the thread.
autorouter mentioned a possibility of a centre tapped supply.
I have come across two phase supplies in rural locations in France it is where they have upgraded the supply from 210v to 220v. It plays havoc with mains testers as you effective have two lives.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back