OBD11 DIAGNOSTIC SCANNING TOOL (1 Viewer)

Gloombusters

Free Member
Jun 28, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr 454
Exp
30+ years
HELP AND ADVICE REQUIRED TO USE THIS TOOL PLEASE.
IT WAS PURCHASED AS A GIFT FOR ME FOR MY FIAT DUCATO 17 REG TO CARRY WITH ME ON MY TRAVELS AROUND EUROPE. NICE THOUGHT!
THE USER MANUAL IS PRETTY COMPLICATED AND I THINK ONCE ITS PLUGGED IN AND I'M READING THE SCREEN THINGS MAY BE A LITTLE MORE CLEAR.
I'M JUST A TAD APPREHENSIVE DOING THIS AS I'M NOT SURE WHETHER IT WOULD DISRUPT THE VEHICLE COMPUTER IN ANY WAY.
DOES ANYONE HAVE THE SAME SCANNER OR SIMILAR THAT CAN ADVISE PLEASE?
I UNDERSTAND THAT THEY CAN BE PRETTY USEFUL TO RESET ETC TO GET YOU OUT OF TROUBLE.
THANKS.

Attachments

• IMG_2755.JPG
    IMG_2755.JPG
    159.8 KB · Views: 79

androidGB

Free Member
Dec 28, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
They won't do any damage but are of limited use unless you know what they are telling you, and the implications of ignoring the fault.

If you reset a fault code, without doing what is necessary to clear it. It will simply reappear.

For instance, if it told you had a fault in the Oxygen sensor behind the catalytic converter , what action would you take?

Andrew

OP
OP
Gloombusters

Gloombusters

Free Member
Jun 28, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr 454
Exp
30+ years
Thanks Andrew for your reply. This is what I thought and it probably is a useful tool, but as you say you have to correct the fault as the fault code will just reappear. Perhaps more a workshop tool?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
The routine is to plug the reader into the OBD port and turn the ignition on - do not start the engine! You can then read any fault codes on the screen but as said above there is not a lot you can do with the result, that needs garage attention.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
The theory is that you can identify the fault code, which make it easier to "discuss" with the Garage what is required. They are a useful tool in that regard, as not all garages are "up front" and it has been "alleged" they have carried out and charged work which was not necessary. Usually the "instructions" have a list of common codes and what they mean. This information is also available on many web sites, Fiat Forum being just one.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Useful for checking if something is going to go wrong as well as diagnosing existing faults.
In general, a fault can occur up to 10 times before the MIL comes on....these faults are logged as PENDING faults and if fixed can prevent a total breakdown at a later date.
Faults where the light is already on need investigation and correction.

A generic code will only point to a possible cause within a specific system even if it appears straightforward.
Something like a MAF sensor fault doesn't always mean the sensor if faulty, it means the sensor picked up on a problem but the fault COULD be elsewhere in the induction system.

You do need a grasp of how different systems work and interact with each other to make use of any fault codes.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
If it's a yellow warning light the mechanics will only tell you to let it develop so that they know exactly what the problem is.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
If it's a yellow warning light the mechanics will only tell you to let it develop so that they know exactly what the problem is.

Not necessarily the best advice Viz:- Yellow warning "airbag" on a Smart car. Turned out to be an electrical fault code, which traced to the Connector under the passenger seat. However in an accident the bag would not have deployed.! Best advice is to follow up on all advisory`s.

androidGB

Free Member
Dec 28, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
Not necessarily the best advice Viz:- Yellow warning "airbag" on a Smart car. Turned out to be an electrical fault code, which traced to the Connector under the passenger seat. However in an accident the bag would not have deployed.! Best advice is to follow up on all advisory`s.

True but I think he was referring to MIL (engine warning light) not airbag light

Andrew

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back