Free Member
Jan 2, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
4 years
We still have an intermittent ABS warning on the panel of our Peugeot Boxer ... it seems to show more in wet weather than when it's been dry for a few days.

We have a Creader OBD11 5001 scanner which we have just tried for the first time, but it shows that there are no 'diagnostic trouble codes' (DTC) on the ECU. When we returned home, an hour ago, the ABS warning was showing. Does anyone have experience of this device?

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
cant help with your specific scanner but if you search you will find lots of posts on airbag lights.
i had an intermittent fault similar to yours sometimes on then off then on again a few days later.

disconnected battery took all the airbag electrical connectors apart and cleaned them then tried to reset the warning but both my cheap OBD II scanners failed to find an error.
convinced myself that it was the airbag ecu after reading all the posts and was about to sent it for repair until i found out the cost.
had a flash if inspiration and found a mobile auto sparks - yep common problem says he - £30 callout and 5mins (if that) work with a very expensive OBD scanner.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Not all obd scanners will scan all systems . eg some cant deal with transmissions , some srs etc . So dont show faults .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We still have an intermittent ABS warning on the panel of our Peugeot Boxer ... it seems to show more in wet weather than when it's been dry for a few days.

Pure guess: Get under it and look very carefully at all the wheel sensors - that toothed ring with a sensor pointing at it. Look for damaged wiring or anything loose.

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
You say it happens mainly in the wet? One of the most common faults is that debris sits in the water droplets and settles around the abs sensor. Often brings up a fault showing the abs at fault because the sensor cannot see the cog / toothed wheel when it's turning.

Hence when it is dry...you don't see the fault because there is no debris on the sensor.

It sounds odd but...pressure wash around the sensor on both front and rear sensors to remove any potential debris. I reckon...it may remove the fault with the light coming on. If the OBD scanner cannot see the fault..The light will go off and not record a fault. Hence ....No message on your scanner.

There are a lot of things that this scanner can do...but very few things it cannot see.

Hope this helps a little?

Kev(y)

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
OBD2/EOBD is a standardised protocol for reading diagnostic trouble codes relating to engine emissions. That is all that most basic readers can check for and display. Codes relating to other systems on a vehicle are often manufacturer specific and need a compatible multi-system reader to scan and display them.

Googling the device that you have confirms that it is a basic engine only diagnostic reader. You can buy more expensive devices that can check either a selection of systems or every system on a single make or multiple makes of vehicle, the prices generally increasing with the extra functionality. Dealer level systems for instance can cost several thousand pounds with ongoing subscriptions to access the information and keep it updated.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
We have a Creader OBD11 5001 scanner which we have just tried for the first time, but it shows that there are no 'diagnostic trouble codes' (DTC) on the ECU. When we returned home, an hour ago, the ABS warning was showing. Does anyone have experience of this device?

For any obd scan tool to read anything other than the engine /power train codes it would have to have have some manufacturer specific files included... in order to access the other ecu,s ... think thats the case ....
Andy

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
These folk do a fair range of lets say budget scan tools that can include a few more functions ..can still cost into the low hundreds for a tool mind..
If you google their range of tools it covers most European makes... and does a bit more than powertrain..
Andy.
20190121_182749.jpg

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I had an ABS fault on my Renault based motorhome and I asked at a couple of garages but they weren't sure if they could help. I took it to my local Renault commercial garage, left it while I went for a Maccy D's (optional :)) and came back to a printed readout identifying the fault (sensor u/s) and which wheel it was. I ordered the part there and then but fitted it myself. The diagnostic charge was under £40.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
ABS works on a magnetic pulse and won't be affected by water which due to the environment it has to work in is a good job really.
The tone ring has a series of tiny magnets embedded which pass the ABS sensor which sends a signal to the ECU.

Last edited:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
ABS works on a magnetic pulse and won't be affected by water which due to the environment it has to work in is a good job really.
The tone ring has a series of tiny magnets embedded which pass the ABS sensor which sends a signal to the ECU.

Hall effect?

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Hall effect?
No. No embedded magnets either. The sensor is a simple coil wound round a magnet. The teeth on the ring vary the magnetic field within the coil and produce a low AC output. It's this that is used by the ABS ECU. The most common reason for an intermittent failure is badly corroded teeth on the ring followed by a cracked ring.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
A Hall effect sensor is a device that is used to measure the magnitude of a magnetic field. Its output voltage is directly proportional to the magnetic field strength through it. Hall effect sensors are used for proximity sensing, positioning, speed detection, and current sensing applications.

An anti lock braking system (ABS) sensor is used for determining wheel rotation speed to prevent wheel lock up when braking. The Hall effect ABS sensor consists of a permanent magnet with a Hall effect sensor next to it. ... This changing of the magnetic field causes the output of the Hall effect sensor to change.

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
Rather than start a new thread with the same or similar title, reviving this one seamed better.
I want a reader scanner for our Fiat Ducato X250 150 2.3 based motorhome. Not particularly for servicing, more for fault diagnosis and resetting. The current need being the red airbag warning that comes on periodically. Which I’m sure is the wiring around the seats/seat belts. Alright when you park up, swivel the seats, turn the seats back and the light comes on when you drive off. It’s been investigated at Fiat Professional and they reset it without finding a fault. I’d like to do that myself rather paying someone.
I will get round to doing a full investigation of it all.
I would like anyone with experience of owning/using one to point me in right direction of which one to buy, preferably under £100, with diagnosis, resetting functions.

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
There was a thread recently on airbag warning lights and several in the past.
I have multiecuscan(think it's something like that) on my computer although a somewhat older version and it would not touch the airbag error codes.
Mobile auto sparks told me he would have cut the underseat wires and soldered them had I not cleaned the plugs and sockets with contact cleaner.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
The unregistered (trial) version of Multiecuscan is limited in its functionality. The registered version can do pretty much everything Fiat dealer kit can do and more. If all you want is to read and clear fault codes though it may be overkill.

A basic OBD reader won't touch seatbelts or in fact anything other than engine and drivetrain trouble codes that affect emissions.

AlfaOBD is similar in coverage and ability to MultiEcuScan and runs on an android phone. You will need a decent Bluetooth OBD dongle - cheap Chinese ELM clones will either fail to connect to some ECUs or cause nothing but trouble - and you will also need at least one conversion cable, usually the yellow adapter cable for the Ducato, so at least £180 for the kit all in.

Or you could look for a Fiat specific 4 systems scanner. They are a kind of halfway house that can read and clear codes from 4 systems on the vehicle (funnily enough) but lack the actuation and programming functionality of AlfaOBD or MES. They often cover basic resets such as the service light though. iCarSoft are one example.

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
It was the full paid up version of multiecuscan but at least a couple of years old.
To keep up to date I think its €50a year

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Lots of people get confused by scanners, there are generic EOBD codes which are universal to all makes but each makers has a load of other specific codes for their own vehicles only. I bouught two quite expensive scanners that deal only with my owned vehicles Mercedes and smart on one and a Ford car one for the other. It is the only way to actually know what is involved with the vehicle. My ford car went into Safe mode 3000rpm maximum because the heater glowplugs gave up the ghost one after the other ove years, when the last one went it went into the restricted mode.. Started fine but the glowplugs it seems are there not for ordinay starts but in driving conditions to make sure the pollutants are under control when in traffic and the temperature drops in the cooling system. The Smart did similar when the ESP sensor got stuck and it dropped the engine power to pathetic to stop me losing it on a bend. The costs to buy one of the dedicated scanner is about two or three times the cost of a main dealer/garage rip off. It takes about 5 minutes to check and they usually charge an hour minimum at whatever rate.

missmollie

Free Member
Jul 30, 2008
Warrington
Funster No
MH
Knaus SUN TI
Exp
since 2006
I have the icarsoft scanner I think i paid about 50£ for it, it cleared my airbag warning light. It’s a good bit of kit for the money. It also has free updates for life.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
It was the full paid up version of multiecuscan but at least a couple of years old.
To keep up to date I think its €50a year

Not if the version you're running does everything you need. The renewal fee just gives you another 12 months of updates, but nothing has been updated on the Ducato for at least a year, and until a new version of the van comes on the market, it probably won't be.

My two and a bit year old version covered everything on the Ducato SRS systems, so I'm surprised you couldn't use it unless you weren't using an adapter cable if required.

I have the CanTieCar multiplexer which switches automatically, so no need for the adapter cables.

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Yes I suppose it could have been the interface that plugs into the port.
Just had a look and its 5yrs old. How time flys

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I have the "paid" version of Multiecuscan too. It was useful when I had the Ducato. I still use it occasionally for my Punto. So it is not quite a lost cause. For the Sprinter I had to get a dedicated reader, However as it cost less than the Merc; Dealer was wanting to charge to reset an SRS light. It has already paid for itself.

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
IF the sensor magnets are embedded in the wheel bearing then yes this is how they work but not the cogged tooth in the rotating component type, that ring isn't magnetic, the "magnet" on that type is the sensor itself and its the steel teeth that changes the flux of the sensor that gives it a reading.
Basically there are two types of sensor, hall effect and mag pick up. One is three wire, the other is usually 2 wire.
Mag pick up changes amplitude as speed changes
Hall effect changes pulse width as speed changes.
Crap on the mag pick up type will screw with sensor readout and sometimes indicates a failing wheelbearing.
Failure of the hall effect can sometimes be attributed to a cracked ring gear through corrosion.
Either way, need proper diagnosis. ??

If you want to dive deeper on automotive diagnosis of stuff like this then scanner danner on youtube is a very good start.
Its no good WHATSO EVER trusting a code on the ABS ECU to be correct, they are simply not smart enough to give the actual cause of the fault in most cases. Codes in ANY ECU should only be used to give you DIRECTION in which to focus your diagnosis.
But anyway, here is the link of some in depth ABS sensor testing for your reference. ???

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back