O2 to reintroduce EU roaming charges.. (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
gerry mcg

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
Passing no comment. Reporting the facts, so customers can decide if it is an issue for them and take appropriate action as they feel necessary

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Even at £3.50 a GB it is not an extortionate rate for mobile use.

Also as others have said, only for data and only if you go over the 25GB limit.

Seems very fair to me and not going back to the bad old days.

I seem to recall paying 5p/MB equivalent to >£50GB and I had a cap of I think 100Mb a month.

I will be interested to see what Three do over the next year or two.

RM_Marine

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2021
Poole, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
Since 2021
Even at £3.50 a GB it is not an extortionate rate for mobile use.

Also as others have said, only for data and only if you go over the 25GB limit.

Seems very fair to me and not going back to the bad old days.

I seem to recall paying 5p/MB equivalent to >£50GB and I had a cap of I think 100Mb a month.

I will be interested to see what Three do over the next year or two.
Some people on this site won't pay £5 - £10 a night let alone pay £3.50 so they can watch TV all month

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Being a Three user who renewed my contracts yesterday for an extra £5 per month I went from 20Gb data a month on my mifi sim contract to unlimited data. Our use has changed considerably over lockdown and where we hardly ever watched video we now watch a lot. That’s not just additional watching, we probably watch far less terrestrial tv as we think the quality has diminished.
I looked in particular at roaming and Three remain the same with a fair usage of 20Gb a month which it has been for quite a while.
So the O2 limit seems acceptable to me.
Acceptable? Customers changing plans and providers will tell.

Spawn_e_git

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Argos 748
Exp
4 years
Can you not have more than 1 PAYG SIMs and swap them?
Appreciate this would only be good for MIFI or people using older phone just for tethering.

Deleted User
I suspect this will be the start of all mobile phone companies trying to gain a commercial advantage and increase profits for shareholders.
25 GB classed as high user at present, however technology moves so quickly and our reliance on mobile data is constantly changing.
Many younger users, who stream music, films, the YouTube generation already have high data usage.
Other companies will follow and i suspect overtime the limit will reduce.
Remember the time when we paid up to 20% more for our vehicles in the Uk compare to Europe, EU legislation was introduced and prices harmonised. I suspect this protection will also be eroded in the coming years.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Still successfully using Vodaphone in Spain. Used 102 gb up to now of my 120 allowed. It renews tomorrow.Got another phone though with plenty on. BUSBY.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I suspect this will be the start of all mobile phone companies trying to gain a commercial advantage and increase profits for shareholders.
25 GB classed as high user at present, however technology moves so quickly and our reliance on mobile data is constantly changing.
Many younger users, who stream music, films, the YouTube generation already have high data usage.
Other companies will follow and i suspect overtime the limit will reduce.
Remember the time when we paid up to 20% more for our vehicles in the Uk compare to Europe, EU legislation was introduced and prices harmonised. I suspect this protection will also be eroded in the coming years.
Your not considering the effect of competition. Customers will move to any company that offers them more value for money. So if the mobile companies costs don't go up they would be stupid to put up prices or reduce data etc. Commercial suicide 🤔

Nov 8, 2019
Surrey
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2017
Your not considering the effect of competition. Customers will move to any company that offers them more value for money. So if the mobile companies costs don't go up they would be stupid to put up prices or reduce data etc. Commercial suicide 🤔
I am a long term o2 customer with a 100gb per month allowance. This has annoyed me as a matter of principle.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007

There are only 4 mobile networks in the UK so it's far from a free market. You probably need a minimum of 6 UK networks to get real competition.

Reactions: ctc
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Don't forget all the virtual networks, plusnet is competing against EE and EE own them 👍

I expected to see that point raised. This piggy-backing is widespread. I am considering moving from O2 to Tesco Mobile which is on the O2 network yet offers cheaper data. O2 I think is now owned by Virgin Media O2, a 50:50 JV between Telefonica and Liberty Global (I may be behind the times) which is also network sharing with Vodafone. That degree of complexity looks to me like a perfect way to establish oligopoly in place of real competition. The presence of a regulator albeit a somewhat clawless pussycat / toothless tiger (other cliches are available) tends to support my view of market failure in the mobile network market. We consumers are still being rinsed.

Deleted User
Still successfully using Vodaphone in Spain. Used 102 gb up to now of my 120 allowed. It renews tomorrow.Got another phone though with plenty on. BUSBY.

How long have you been using it out of the UK?

"Where a customer’s usage abroad is greater than at home over a four month period, we will message them to give them 14 days to clarify their usage, after which a regulated surcharge of 3.3p per minute for voice calls, 1p per SMS and £3.13 per GB of data will be applied to further usage. The new charges will come into effect on 18 January, 2021. Customers will be able to continue to receive calls and texts at no extra cost."

I reactivated a sim that I had not used in the UK at all in January, I got the message last month and cancelled the contract, it was due to end in July anyway.

I have now got a Superdrug unlimited sim on 30 day renewals that supposedly has no roaming limits but we shall see.

I also have a local NOS unlimited 15 days for €15 than I can reactivate but I need to use a VPN to stream TV.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
How long have you been using it out of the UK?

"Where a customer’s usage abroad is greater than at home over a four month period, we will message them to give them 14 days to clarify their usage, after which a regulated surcharge of 3.3p per minute for voice calls, 1p per SMS and £3.13 per GB of data will be applied to further usage. The new charges will come into effect on 18 January, 2021. Customers will be able to continue to receive calls and texts at no extra cost."

I reactivated a sim that I had not used in the UK at all in January, I got the message last month and cancelled the contract, it was due to end in July anyway.

I have now got a Superdrug unlimited sim on 30 day renewals that supposedly has no roaming limits but we shall see.

I also have a local NOS unlimited 15 days for €15 than I can reactivate but I need to use a VPN to stream TV.
I use it all the time at home as it's the only internet we have so should not be a problem.Been away just over three and a half weeks.BUSBY.

Deleted User
Competition, don't make me laugh.
Just like Fuel companies and energy suppliers, they will all follow each other to maximise profits, nieve to think otherwise.
This will only be controlled by legislation, (legislation you use to have) can't see any Conservative government being in favour of cutting shareholder profits at the detriment of the free market.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Competition, don't make me laugh.
Just like Fuel companies and energy suppliers, they will all follow each other to maximise profits, nieve to think otherwise.
This will only be controlled by legislation, (legislation you use to have) can't see any Conservative government being in favour of cutting shareholder profits at the detriment of the free market.
The spending power in the mobile phone market is dominated by the young, ey will not stay with a network that reintroduced roaming charges. 3 knew this before EU got involved hence their strategy.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Oh and Three will be reducing its fair use limit from 20GB a month to 12GB.

Deleted User
Without the protection of the EU, the little people, you and me are just a revenue stream that can and will be exploited.
Foolish to think commercial organisations would not do so.
Of course as the British Government now has control of our Boarders, Laws and Sovereignty it to could enact similar legislation.

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
Being a Three user who renewed my contracts yesterday for an extra £5 per month I went from 20Gb data a month on my mifi sim contract to unlimited data. Our use has changed considerably over lockdown and where we hardly ever watched video we now watch a lot. That’s not just additional watching, we probably watch far less terrestrial tv as we think the quality has diminished.
I looked in particular at roaming and Three remain the same with a fair usage of 20Gb a month which it has been for quite a while.
So the O2 limit seems acceptable to me.
Acceptable? Customers changing plans and providers will tell.
Three just announced dropping 20gb to 12gb from July.

Any bets on what time Vodafone will announce their changes?

Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
Three just announced dropping 20gb to 12gb from July.

Any bets on what time Vodafone will announce their changes?

Vodafone are still free up to 25Gb a month.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back