Not sure which section to put this on/in !!!!! (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
I have two large mobility scooters and two fold up`s...

All 4 have small but big capacity (I think they are called Lipo4.)..

They all seem to drop their charge over a few weeks standing idle...

Will it do any harm to leave them over winter where they will inevitably go FLAT ?

And recharge when needed..

Thanks..

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I have two large mobility scooters and two fold up`s...

All 4 have small but big capacity (I think they are called Lipo4.)..

They all seem to drop their charge over a few weeks standing idle...

Will it do any harm to leave them over winter where they will inevitably go FLAT ?

And recharge when needed..

Thanks..
Why not get solar maintainers they could help save your batteries

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
If they are lithium batteries they will be OK, but why dont you just unplug one of the leads to each battery, then youbwill always have some charge in them .if they get flat you will have a non mobile chunk of metal on wheels to move. Another issue with taking them down to zero volts is that the battery charger may not kick in when trying to recharge. Some see a zero battery as dead and won't start the charge process and require to be duped into seeing 12v by connecting another battery.( hope that makes sense)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Your really don't want to let Lithium batteries go flat it will make them as useless as your jokes :rofl:
Sorry couldn't resist Mo.

They shouldn't be dropping their charge much unless there is a load on them I would try disconnecting a battery and see if the charge holds up.
Am I right in thinking they are stored in the boot of your cars? If so perhaps as Coolcats suggests you could rid up some cheap solar maintainers to keep them topped up.

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
They shouldn't be dropping their charge much unless there is a load on them I would try disconnecting a battery and see if the charge holds up.
Am I right in thinking they are stored in the boot of your cars? If so perhaps as @Coolcats suggests you could rid up some cheap solar maintainers to keep them topped up.

Thanks Jimbohorlicks and Lenny HB ...

The 2 big ones remain on the scooters, but the fold up ones I take off and put in the garage and charge but after a week or two I can put them on charge and it takes about 2 hrs for the red light to go out and the green (Full) light to come on..

The big ones are always connected and can take 3 hrs to charge up, after use and being charged but depends how long they have been standing..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
Some mobility scooter chargers are not very 'smart', they go through a long procedure that ignores battery state but relies on timed phases, so will appear to be charging for a couple of hours even if the batteries are not low on charge.
Best to check the voltage after a week or so, this will tell you if the battery has discharged or not.

Geoff

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back