Not giving up on skiing this winter...yet! (1 Viewer)

Paddington

Free Member
Oct 31, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Vw transporter
Exp
Okay, so the various lockdown across Europe are not looking good for my plans to hit the slopes in december...So I'm hatching a new plan....I have to have hope! If the lifts are closed then the fall back plan is easy ski touring and cross country.
Can anyone recommend any day outings for easy ski touring or any guidebooks that will give me some ideas......austria/ France or italy. Thanks

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Okay, so the various lockdown across Europe are not looking good for my plans to hit the slopes in december...So I'm hatching a new plan....I have to have hope! If the lifts are closed then the fall back plan is easy ski touring and cross country.
Can anyone recommend any day outings for easy ski touring or any guidebooks that will give me some ideas......austria/ France or italy. Thanks
My lad lives in Chamonix and they do a lot of ski touring. They do skin up though.

OP
OP
P

Paddington

Free Member
Oct 31, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Vw transporter
Exp
I'm anticipating the lifts will be closed, so planning to skin up....slowly! I'm new to ski touring and solo, so would be looking for easy, non glaciated terrain.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Loving your positivity, however, the countries have to be open in order to get there in order to be able to stay in order to xcountry.
December is not that far off and if i were in your situation, I would be looking at Finland and Estonia as places where it might be possible to travel to rather than hoping Italy/France etc might allow some tourism.

Best of luck

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
My normal, pre Christmas, 4 week snowboarding trip to Austria is not likely to happen this year (for some reason or other 🙂)

So, I've got my fingers crossed for snow in the Brecon Beacons

Here's a grainy photo from the 90's of snowboarding with sheep near Storey Arms

No lifts, you have to walk up 🙂

The crazy thing is, we had just got back from 2 weeks snowboarding in Canada!

sb01 (5).jpg

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
We have ditched plans for a trip this winter
SD in a lift queue is never going to happen even if resorts open
Face coverings shouldn't be a problem though 😷

OP
OP
P

Paddington

Free Member
Oct 31, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Vw transporter
Exp
Loving your positivity, however, the countries have to be open in order to get there in order to be able to stay in order to xcountry.
December is not that far off and if i were in your situation, I would be looking at Finland and Estonia as places where it might be possible to travel to rather than hoping Italy/France etc might allow some tourism.

Best of luck
Had a quick look at Finland and estonia....interesting. Requires a bit more research for a possible trip in the future. Not sure I fancy the drive though. I expect this year if I can't get into mainland Europe to ski, I won't be able to drive through it to reach the Baltic area 🤔

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
Depending on what happens re France, I think ski touring was not allowed during the last lockdown.

Happy to be corrected though.

OP
OP
P

Paddington

Free Member
Oct 31, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Vw transporter
Exp
Depending on what happens re France, I think ski touring was not allowed during the last lockdown.

Happy to be corrected though.
No. I think you are right. But I'm hopeful/ desperate...I had pinned my hopes on getting away for 3 months this winter. The thought of being stuck at home over winter is depressing me. I live in Scotland and love hillwalking here, but skiing here 👎 high winds, rain, narrow pistes, dodging rocks...takes the fun out of it!

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
some resorts have loads of covid measures in place re SD and sanitising the lifts etc. Fewer people going may mean queues not too bad ? resorts not booked for the christmas week.....

OP
OP
P

Paddington

Free Member
Oct 31, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Vw transporter
Exp
some resorts have loads of covid measures in place re SD and sanitising the lifts etc. Fewer people going may mean queues not too bad ? resorts not booked for the christmas week.....
My original plan was downhill skiing at various resorts....co vid test before I leave, ferry Newcastle to Amsterdam, drive via Germany to austria for 3 weeks, then Italy then france. But given lockdown in France and recent re closure of lifts in italy....was thinking if i get into austria just stay there and if they close lifts due to outbreaks then I could ski tour or cross country???

Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
A bit nearer than Estonia would be Norway and Sweden. Certainly lots of xc trails in Norway and I suspect Sweden.

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
I know what you mean Paddington we live in Scotland as well and have the Scottish skiing T shirt. My wife has just read out a post about people traveling during the current lockdown and a family of 2 adults and 4 children were fined 1000 Euro each!

I can't confirm the veracity of the story but what ever you do please make sure you are aware the situations in the various countries, if you go, otherwise you might have a big hole in your wallet!

We cycle a lot as well ski and have just decided to cancel a 2 week trip to Gran Canaria in January. (the fourth trip cancelled this year!) It will still be there in a years time and hopefully so will we!

OP
OP
P

Paddington

Free Member
Oct 31, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Vw transporter
Exp
I signed up a couple of weeks ago for email updates from gov.Uk which keeps me up-to-date with the rules for any of the countries I might hope to visit. Not interested in breaking any laws. NO trips up North at the moment as I live in tier 3 central belt...suppose it could be worse, I could live in England 🤔 with lockdown looming!

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
Don't speak too soon! Sadly I suspect the same will happen in Scotland in not too distant future.

Sep 18, 2016
Bonnyrigg
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057DBL
Exp
If the Vaccince roll out starts in december as I hope it will then I still think there will be time left to get some skiing done before spring arrives. I notice in Austria there is a full lockdown with the exception of the ski areas.
Its carry on as normal in Switzerland. Although I doubt most of us cant afford to go skiing there. :cool:

Jul 3, 2019
Funster No
MH
Motorhome
If the Vaccince roll out starts in december as I hope it will then I still think there will be time left to get some skiing done before spring arrives. I notice in Austria there is a full lockdown with the exception of the ski areas.
Its carry on as normal in Switzerland. Although I doubt most of us cant afford to go skiing there. :cool:
December which year????

Also with these quarantines in place, that means that the UK snoop government can then track you with the 5G chip they are going to inject into you.

OP
OP
P

Paddington

Free Member
Oct 31, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Vw transporter
Exp
I wasn't aware they had moved to a full lockdown in austria....I thought they had " lockdown light"...can't remember exact details of that without looking it up....But things like earlier closures of pubs etc.

OP
OP
P

Paddington

Free Member
Oct 31, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Vw transporter
Exp
December which year????

Also with these quarantines in place, that means that the UK snoop government can then track you with the 5G chip they are going to inject into you.
They can chip me, if it means I can go skiing 😉

OP
OP
P

Paddington

Free Member
Oct 31, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Vw transporter
Exp
I have a moral objection to going to switzerland...money grabbers...I went years ago and forgot to change my notes to English ones. I finally found a bank that would exchange them, but for a lower rate than English ones! I grabbed my money back, stomped my foot and gave them a piece of my mind 😤

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
I'd guess the cross country courses will be open here in the Jura, life would grind to a halt if they weren't. No resorts or facilities to worry about, just lots of snow and trees. There's an aire right next to where the course crosses the road not far from us, usually see folk in campers there enjoying a long weekend of Ski de fond.

This is where we go, about 30mins up the road.

Not snow yet though (road past it the other day) but by mid Jan it should be good, just have to sneak over the border through the forest.....

OP
OP
P

Paddington

Free Member
Oct 31, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Vw transporter
Exp
I'd guess the cross country courses will be open here in the Jura, life would grind to a halt if they weren't. No resorts or facilities to worry about, just lots of snow and trees. There's an aire right next to where the course crosses the road not far from us, usually see folk in campers there enjoying a long weekend of Ski de fond.

This is where we go, about 30mins up the road.

Not snow yet though (road past it the other day) but by mid Jan it should be good, just have to sneak over the border through the forest.....
excellent info. Thanks. If I can't get in via france, I will sneak in via switzerland! Oops....ignore the " money grabbers" reference I obviously didn't mean you! 😇

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
excellent info. Thanks. If I can't get in via france, I will sneak in via switzerland! Oops....ignore the " money grabbers" reference I obviously didn't mean you! 😇

can only agree, we only live here but often (usually) shop in another country to cut costs.....

Les Fourgs is just inside France in the the Jura, great cross country course of 180km

OP
OP
P

Paddington

Free Member
Oct 31, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Vw transporter
Exp
Ok, so austria has gone into lockdown until 30th November. But I'm still hopeful/ in denial....maybe the lockdown will get the numbers down and things will open up in time for my ferry on 10th dec. 🌨🎿

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
I'm still hopeful/ in denial....maybe the lockdown will get the numbers down and things will open up in time for my ferry on 10th dec. 🌨🎿

I am with you on that , however just sold my Motorhome so bit stuck at the moment.
1604601230730.png

Aug 19, 2020
Wilts
Funster No
MH
Hymer 534
Exp
Since 2007
Up until last year we hadn't spent a January in the UK for 12 years, usually heading for the Alps as soon as the hangover wore off. We trundled South or East, waving happily at all the Brits heading the other way, then after 5 weeks or so, reversed the process just as they all headed back out for the half term week.
I am banking on the hope that most EU governments are praying that the current lockdowns will bring everything down to a manageable level for long enough to get Xmas, New Year and at least part of the ski season done & dusted, thus keeping the voters just about on side.
That said, half term is not until the 3rd week in February and I fear that if there is any significant spike in the hospital admissions before January is out, then governments will impose LD3 early in February and simply extend half term as they planned to do here last month.
Paddington - there are some delightful small resorts off the Sion Valley and that can also be reached via the Portes-du-Soleil ski area, which has plenty of parking & Aires, not to mention Samoens with the Le Giffre campsite a great place to stay. If you go via Chamonix, the run over the Col de la Forclaz & down to Martigny is memorable. The other way is via Chatel and down to Monthey.
I see P&O have at last started advertising crossings to Calais for January, although they are unlikely to get my business this trip if they charge the same as Le Shuttle, which can be done in the germ free comfort of my own "cabin" & quicker.
Fingers crossed. CB.

OP
OP
P

Paddington

Free Member
Oct 31, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Vw transporter
Exp
I agree with you Chester. I'm hopeful they will open for xmas. If so I think there will be another spike and lockdown late jan/ early feb. I expect the ski resort wi ll open and close on numerous ocassions throughout the winter

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back