Not giving up on skiing this winter...yet! (1 Viewer)

Sep 18, 2016
Bonnyrigg
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057DBL
Exp
The way things are going it looks more likely that I'll leave the Motorhome on the driveway and get a flight to Switzerland and go skiing in the Jungfrau. The price of a weeks half board in Grindelwald isnt more than a week on Obergurgl Austria. Get a flight from Edinburgh to Geneva 200 quid including skis and luggage, nice scenic train journey down to Grindelwald and a weeks skiing next to the Eiger.

OP
OP
P

Paddington

Free Member
Oct 31, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Vw transporter
Exp
I saw something on the BBC today about Germany calling on Eu countries to make a uniform decision to scrap the ski season. Will post it tomorrow. Of course that excludes switzerland....which could be mobbed!

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
I saw something on the BBC today about Germany calling on Eu countries to make a uniform decision to scrap the ski season. Will post it tomorrow. Of course that excludes switzerland....which could be mobbed!

We'll follow suit, it's almost certain. Can't see any slopes being open to be honest, trails will be though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
I hope not that'll just leave Scotland😳
A few days in Glencoe doesn't fill me with excitement 😱

All school ski trips are cancelled and trust me that's a HUGE thing here. There's also some snow missing although it's still very early, above 2000m is OK. Was up at 1300m on my bike the other day and it's still without snow, but winter is coming:cool:

We've all decided to go cross country this Christmas, a few days in the forest with a flask and the dogs doing some Skijoring.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Okay, so the various lockdown across Europe are not looking good for my plans to hit the slopes in december...So I'm hatching a new plan....I have to have hope! If the lifts are closed then the fall back plan is easy ski touring and cross country.
Can anyone recommend any day outings for easy ski touring or any guidebooks that will give me some ideas......austria/ France or italy. Thanks
Your in luck and as your looking for a day out I can recommend here

Jul 3, 2019
Funster No
MH
Motorhome
All school ski trips are cancelled and trust me that's a HUGE thing here. There's also some snow missing although it's still very early, above 2000m is OK. Was up at 1300m on my bike the other day and it's still without snow, but winter is coming:cool:

We've all decided to go cross country this Christmas, a few days in the forest with a flask and the dogs doing some Skijoring.
I was on my bike at 1850m this week here in Vaud but there is very little snow . I believe we are due a big drop of it next week. The snow cannons have been on when the temperature gets low enough and they are still planning to open on 19 Dec. I believe Switzerland will remain open, my fear is that it will be far too busy here as Europe will arrive in mass for early season winter skiing. I’ll be on my snowboard when I can but it will mostly be ski de fond this year away from the crowds

Sep 18, 2016
Bonnyrigg
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057DBL
Exp
I'm hoping to avoid the Swiss school holidays so it isn't so busy. Probably go end of Feb/March. What dates are schools on holiday?

OP
OP
P

Paddington

Free Member
Oct 31, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Vw transporter
Exp
I hope not that'll just leave Scotland😳
A few days in Glencoe doesn't fill me with excitement 😱
Especially if there is no skiing in europe and the whole of Europe decide to come to Scotland!! I know we are both based in Scotland, but I expect the travel ban which is now law here may be extended into the new year to prevent us central belt folk spreading our nasty germs in the highlands 😷🤒

OP
OP
P

Paddington

Free Member
Oct 31, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Vw transporter
Exp
Extract from BBC article
Germany is seeking an agreement with EU countries to keep ski resorts closed until early January, in an attempt to curb the spread of coronavirus. Chancellor Angela Merkel told parliament that efforts were being made to reach a Europe-wide decision.

Italy and France have expressed support for a co-ordinated approach. But Austria has voiced concern.

Some of the early European coronavirus hotspots were at ski resorts, helping spread infections across the continent.

Like Germany, Italy has also stressed the need for a united approach on the issue of ski resorts, and Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte has already backed delaying the start of the ski season.

"If Italy decided to shut down all its ski lifts without any support from France, Austria and the other countries, then Italian tourists would risk going abroad and taking the contagion back home," he told La7 TV earlier this week.

Many Italians head for the slopes over the Christmas and New Year break and the period is a vital part of the local economy for ski resorts across Europe.

French President Emmanuel Macron has made clear that the country's ski resorts will stay shut until the New Year. Prime Minister Jean Castex said on Thursday he wanted to see the coronavirus rules for ski resorts "harmonised at European level as much as possible".

But Austria has voiced concern over any EU-wide plan for ski resorts, with Finance Minister Gernot Blümel saying that if the EU forced the resorts to remain closed, "then they will have to pay for it". Compensation would run into billions of euros.

Switzerland is not in the European Union and, unlike other Alpine destinations, its ski resorts are already open, so skiers unable to spend their winter breaks in neighbouring countries could head there instead.

Sep 18, 2016
Bonnyrigg
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057DBL
Exp
Especially if there is no skiing in europe and the whole of Europe decide to come to Scotland!! I know we are both based in Scotland, but I expect the travel ban which is now law here may be extended into the new year to prevent us central belt folk spreading our nasty germs in the highlands 😷🤒

😂 Thankfully I live in Midlothian and expect us to be in Tier 2 shortly so I'll be heading north as soon as the snow arrives 😉

OP
OP
P

Paddington

Free Member
Oct 31, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Vw transporter
Exp
😂 Thankfully I live in Midlothian and expect us to be in Tier 2 shortly so I'll be heading north as soon as the snow arrives 😉
I might need to buy a new house in a tier 1/2 area 😉

Jul 3, 2019
Funster No
MH
Motorhome
Maybe I will, if Scotland becomes independent 😉
Yes I’m looking forward to that when the population of Scotland hand back their National Insurance numbers and have to become self funding.

OP
OP
P

Paddington

Free Member
Oct 31, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Vw transporter
Exp
I'm less hopeful!...I was concerned that the initial plans for restrictions to be eased for several days over the Christmas period in the UK and Europe would lead to a spike in January leading to extended restrictions on skiing ....now with the new strain in the UK and the likelihood of a no deal brexit....travel bans to Europe are looking likely for the whole ski season. Doom and gloom!

Sep 18, 2016
Bonnyrigg
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057DBL
Exp
I'm less hopeful!...I was concerned that the initial plans for restrictions to be eased for several days over the Christmas period in the UK and Europe would lead to a spike in January leading to extended restrictions on skiing ....now with the new strain in the UK and the likelihood of a no deal brexit....travel bans to Europe are looking likely for the whole ski season. Doom and gloom!
I'm still hopeful for Switzerland end of March/ April

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Plenty of snow here at 1200m for the "Ski de Fond", lots of people out at the weekend and took a run up to see how busy it was. Stopped by a piste next to the road (you can just see 2 fellas in the background). In theory here the lifts are still closed (probably haven't actually opened) but still hearing conflicting stories about that, i assume the main ones are closed and perhaps less so with the smaller ones.

IMG_7005.jpg

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Plenty of snow here at 1200m for the "Ski de Fond", lots of people out at the weekend and took a run up to see how busy it was. Stopped by a piste next to the road (you can just see 2 fellas in the background). In theory here the lifts are still closed (probably haven't actually opened) but still hearing conflicting stories about that, i assume the main ones are closed and perhaps less so with the smaller ones.

View attachment 450326

They might have drag lifts open if they are single or two person if they are in a 'bubble' but not the bubble cabins for 4/6 persons if they are not in a bubble.

I'll bubble off now

Geoff

OP
OP
P

Paddington

Free Member
Oct 31, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Vw transporter
Exp

View attachment 450326
just rub it in! Maybe I should post pictures of a wet, rainy bleak, dark day in glasgow😉

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Wish it looked like that where we are at 650m, here trust me it's just like Glasgow (rain, mud etc) only i can understand what people are saying :LOL:

OP
OP
P

Paddington

Free Member
Oct 31, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Vw transporter
Exp
Wish it looked like that where we are at 650m, here trust me it's just like Glasgow (rain, mud etc) only i can understand what people are saying :LOL:
I've been mistaken for German and Dutch before...not because I'm tall, blond and gorgeous....but because they know I'm speaking english, but it doesn't sound quite right...so they think English must be my second language. Apparently I sound West coast Scottish and not glaswegian...whatever that means!

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No

View attachment 450326
Nice bike.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
I've been mistaken for German and Dutch before...not because I'm tall, blond and gorgeous....but because they know I'm speaking english, but it doesn't sound quite right...so they think English must be my second language. Apparently I sound West coast Scottish and not glaswegian...whatever that means!

A posh Scott accent(y)

My BiL is from Dunbar and sounds something like that

Sep 18, 2016
Bonnyrigg
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057DBL
Exp
If travel bans imposed for eu...do you think we will be allowed to drive via france etc to get to switzerland??
I'll not be driving.
Big bird in the sky via Heathrow then scenic journey by train to Grindelwald. Thats my hope unless by some miracle everything else opens up then im off to Obergurgl or solden.

Jul 3, 2019
Funster No
MH
Motorhome
If travel bans imposed for eu...do you think we will be allowed to drive via france etc to get to switzerland??
Not currently, Switzerland has with immediate effect withdrawn free movement of people for U.K. citizens, not already in the country . So even if you drive through the border from France/Italy/Germany/Austria you will be refused entry.

In addition it has backdated the 10 day quarantine period to anyone entering since 14 December. The Cantons have the local tourist offices ringing accommodation providers in an attempt to find U.K. citizens who have arrived since then so they can be put in immediate quarantine

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back