Northumberland (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I'm thinking about exploring Northumberland for a week in September but don't know the area.
Can anyone suggest some highlights please ?
I'm aware of bamborough castle and lyndesfarne so they'll probably be on the itinerary, but I'd welcome other suggestions
TIA

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
I would concentrate on the bit of Hadrian's Wall between Housesteads and Once Brewed

A bit more info about the kind of things that you like would help - history, coast, towns, wildlife, walking etc

OP
OP
Figaro
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
A bit more info about the kind of things that you like would help - history, coast, towns, wildlife, walking etc
All of those, but not obsessive about any except maybe coasts / beaches / scenery !
I do like to be close those (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Berwick, Cheviots, Warkworth, Morpeth, Druridge Bay, Seahorses, Rothbury, Wooler, Hexham........

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
I addition to what has already been mentioned I would recommend a visit to Craster (try some kippers) and from there you can walk up to Dunstanburgh Castle

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
Agree Warkworth, Craghouse and we fancy Chillingham castle and cattle. We've enjoyed Howick Hall gardens but that was earlier in the year at Rhoddie time.

Deleted User
You mention Lindisfarne and that is an absolute must, and try the crab sandwiches when you are there.

Ejaydee

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2018
Penzance in (usually) sunny Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Roller Team T 590
Exp
Since retiring
I'm thinking about exploring Northumberland for a week in September

Following the South West Motorhome Show next weekend (5th to 9th), I will be travelling up to Cumbria then on to Northumberland for several days. I will be walking sections of the Wall that I have not already done on previous visits! If you want to visit some of the forts and other parts of the wall, it makes sense to be a member of English Heritage (although I understand Scottish Heritage is less expensive), because you will save money.

As mentioned by Anthea M, I am thinking of spending a day at the Beamish Museum when I start to head back down south.

Yes Bamburgh Castle Is a lovely spot and well worth a visit, as is Lindisfarne I am told (although thus far I have only ever seen it from the sea!).

If you are a 'book' type of person, you really ought to try to get to the Bookshop in the old Station in Alnwick (https://www.barterbooks.co.uk), which is one of the largest, if not the largest 2nd hand bookshops in the country. Be prepared to spend money though!

Have a good trip, you never know, we may bump into each other!

Feb 10, 2011
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B584
Exp
Since 2010
Definitely Craster. The smell is awesome.
Also Seahouses for fish and chips.
Alnwick for the secondhand bookstore.
Hadrians wall for the history and views.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
We liked Housesteads as you can walk round the old fort ruins and wall.

Mr Mousy

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2013
Llanelli
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840
Exp
First moho 11/2013, second 11/2014 current from 09/2019.
I’d love to explore Northumbria, I’ve never really been “up North”.

There is a beach that an old glass works factory used to be on and it’s now full of and famous for its sea glass.

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
I’d love to explore Northumbria, I’ve never really been “up North”.

There is a beach that an old glass works factory used to be on and it’s now full of and famous for its sea glass.

Oops used the wrong phone! Of course Mr Mousys been up North he went to uni there doh! I’ve never been anywhere above the midlands except flights to Scotland.

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
I've bought sea glass pendants at my village art festival up here and sure it was Spittal beach she mentioned but sure Scremerston mentioned as well.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Nobody has mentione taking the boat to the Farne Island for the birds and seals.

Take a hat - the Arctic Terns are vicious peckers (not a misspelling)

Crab sandwiches are also excellent at Craster as is the fish market.

StanandShirley

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Chatteris Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson Titanium 640
Exp
four years
Having moved South for work 50 years ago Northumberland is still home for us, It has everything you need for a holiday beautiful beaches and countryside so much history and if your lucky some nice weather
Enjoy your time there and if you need a translator drop me a line! Just been back there ourselves and the sun shone on us.

Feb 15, 2014
cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E450
Exp
3 years
there is a country park/lake to walk round at ashington, plenty of space to park last time we were there 3 vans stopped overnight and there is a Brewers fayre if you want food

May 7, 2014
Winnersh
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Since 2014
Just on our way back from Northumberland had a fantastic time a mixture of sites and Britstops. We parked in the The Cottage Inn Hotel Dunstan Britstop NE113. Left our van in their car park and walked to Dunstanburgh Castle. We had the castle to ourselves for about 30 minutes . We arrived for opening . I was stunned at the vast streams of people walking towards us on the way back to the van.
Years ago we walked the Hadrian’s wall path using the motorhome and the ADD Bus we had an amazing meal at Twice Brewed Inn. This time we also went over to Kielder Water .We walked up over the hills to Deadwater Fell and beyond . We saw no one for the day and that was August Bank Holiday Monday and that surprised us . What also surprised me was the number of people going over the causeway before it was fully open to Holy Island in campers as well.
A lovely couple of weeks and hopefully back next year to do more walking and exploring.

Ejaydee

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2018
Penzance in (usually) sunny Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Roller Team T 590
Exp
Since retiring
.......and the ADD Bus

Excuse my ignorance, what is the ADD bus? I note you say that walk was years ago, but I am wondering if the service still runs. After seeing your reference, I have looked it up on the internet but cannot find any info.

I too will be walking some of the wall in a couple of weeks time and have been trying to find details of bus services that run close to the wall so that I could leave the van in a car park, do a walk for the day and catch a bus back to the vicinity of the van.

TIA

*Edit* Well blow me down, I have just found reference to the AD122 bus service. I was searching last night for over an hour and never turned it up!

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Vindolanda is superb if you are interested in our Roman heritage.

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun