Nordic travel plans August / September 2017 (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
this is tomorrows slightly ambitious plan to get to Germany in one day

upload_2017-9-16_16-37-4.png

to stop here 426 miles away

but we have a fall back plan to stop at the same CC option just over the second bridge in Denmark in Nyborg, 305 miles, where we stopped on the way up nearly 4 weeks ago, we still have a few Danish Kroner, in fact we only spent 100 and they were the site we might use again

note to todays stop over, it has a washing machine that is totally free to use (y) but the equally free to use tumble drier is not working :(, small load of 'essentials' being washed as we drink

cheers all :)

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
found this place in the middle of nowhere amazingly so had about 20 others

Bunn - we stayed there too! Liked the astroturf pictures + washing facilities. They also have boats for the lake and you can use the sauna. Nice bike ride through the forest too. Apparently the buffet supper at the hotel is popular so we were warned that it can get busy. There were only 2 of us there when we stayed though:)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we have now had astro turf on three sites we have used, the other 2 in Norway, there seems to be a brand called Bobil starting up

a few shots from our pitch this morning, lovely and quiet, just like Sundays used to be

IMG_3989.JPG

IMG_3983.JPG

IMG_3984.JPG

IMG_3985.JPG

IMG_3986.JPG

IMG_3987.JPG

IMG_3988.JPG

a clump of the lichen that covers a lot of northern scandanavia like grass

IMG_3990.JPG

IMG_3992.JPG

IMG_3993.JPG

IMG_3991.JPG

having not even finished packing yet, we have just decided that Germany is too far, so Nyborg looks likely again :)(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Hope you didn't try any of those "mushrooms" for brekkie .....

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
I have some mushrooms like that here.:)

IMG_20170917_104749.jpg

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Nyborg it is, same place as on way up seems longer ago than 4 weeks but just done a recount on days, it really was infact 4 weeks tomorrow night (y), still like it, almost like a CL, 100DK about £12 inc electrics

Its been an odd day today, mostly bright with sun and blue skies, with 2 massive downpours, we (I) made a few silly mistakes

Running low on fuel, first time as low as this this trip, saw sign for fuel, pulled off (y) then saw another sign for town fuel and as we also needed a shop went for that, immediately alongside the service area I now know I passed the alternative fuel o_O but we were now well on our way to town, which was barely a village and had no shops, so we opted to continue on this road running virtually parallel to the motorway, all OK so far, but just then the light comes on the dash. We understand we have 2 gallons left now and rarely get 20mpg typically 18-19, so checked odometer and gave myself a limit of 35 miles before having to stop and put in the 10 litres we now carry but have never yet used

Came to a motorway junction approx. 10 miles from where we had come off nearly 20 mins ago, dilemma now is carry on south with no indication of fuel ahead or go back the 10 miles northbound to assured fuel

opted for north, so half an hour after we first came off we were back in same place but this time filled at first option, but then said to Bev you watch there be a fuel stop closer southbound, of course there was o_Oo_O, pulled in again in the hope of the garage having a shop as we needed milk and butter at least, got them both but the service area didn't appeal to stop for a late lunch, so on we went

came off at next service area, somehow managed to get into a bus only exit, but it appeared to run back into same road further down, but no it didn't it simply led back onto the same motorway we had just come off o_Oo_O so headed for the next rest area o_O

when we did stop I noticed a funny sign off to the right. didn't recognise it as anything, but as we pulled out (too late to stop) we had missed an amazing view point, looking over the see to the Orendsun crossing, like most things you visit, you get a much better view from far away not at it o_Oo_O

Anyway another good driving day, 325 miles, that could have been 300 miles o_O parked up, found the last fillet steak in freezer earlier, nicely defrosted (y) with braised onions in oil and vinegar served on fried remnants of bread, with a half finished bottle of red (y)(y)

we are now virtually out of stock, one more bag of minced steak, so a chilli tomorrow :)(y) looking for a stelplatz near one of the large rivers in Germany we cross, Cologne or Bremen area :)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we ae bimbling along, today crossed back into Germany and are now parked at a Stelplatz attached to a campsite at Soltau, about 50 miles south of Hamburg

https://www.campercontact.com/en/ge.../50414/motorhome-parking-camping-imbrock.aspx

payment by coins or card, only €12 inc electrics but too far from anywhere to walk other than in to the woods with Lola, very pretty round here, nice and quiet, but if you do come the entrance has been moved to the opposite side of the site o_O

Had a lovely shopping experience, Netto in the town, not only 'normal' prices but even cheaper than UK in many cases (y)(y) we have been used to paying £80 for shopping that barely covered the bottom of the trolley in Norway, we had 2 layers and still only paid €25 (y)(y)

heading further towards Calais tomorrow, might stop around Cologne if we can find an aire / stelplatz, suitable for the centre, seems to be that they are all on the outskirts that we have found so far, unlike French aires that tend be in the middle of towns

not even had camera out today, drive round Hamburg was about as bad as it could be,

Al-Di

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 15, 2014
prestwich
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil A Class
Exp
since 2013
many memories of Soltau training area, not all good,(n)

Reactions: DBK
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
we ae bimbling along, today crossed back into Germany and are now parked at a Stelplatz attached to a campsite at Soltau, about 50 miles south of Hamburg

https://www.campercontact.com/en/ge.../50414/motorhome-parking-camping-imbrock.aspx

payment by coins or card, only €12 inc electrics but too far from anywhere to walk other than in to the woods with Lola, very pretty round here, nice and quiet, but if you do come the entrance has been moved to the opposite side of the site o_O

Had a lovely shopping experience, Netto in the town, not only 'normal' prices but even cheaper than UK in many cases (y)(y) we have been used to paying £80 for shopping that barely covered the bottom of the trolley in Norway, we had 2 layers and still only paid €25 (y)(y)

heading further towards Calais tomorrow, might stop around Cologne if we can find an aire / stelplatz, suitable for the centre, seems to be that they are all on the outskirts that we have found so far, unlike French aires that tend be in the middle of towns

not even had camera out today, drive round Hamburg was about as bad as it could be,

Our sat nav took us through the centre of Hamburg once.
Never again !!!!!!!

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
funny day today, I think possibly the drive home is now getting to us, but left our pitch on a very nice stelplatz, immediately outside the campsite, on link above, nice morning, walked Lola in the woods adjacent to site, sun looking to shine through anytime now :)(y)

IMG_4003.JPG

IMG_4004.JPG

set off along motorway network, decided to avoid Bremen this time and go via Koln (cologne) for a change and possibly a stop over there, but things changed

German motorways for me have 2 common denominators both related to speed, it is either flat out or parked, we spent the first hour stop start and covered 20 miles in an hour, when it cleared next we stopped for a coffee and to rethink the route options, then things went wrong, nothing too serious, given my track record it should have been much worse

looking for internet the mifi let us down yet again, not been good from day 1 and on this trip next to useless, so switched Bevs iPad to a hotspot, still no joy, both of these are running on 3 sims bought in the UK, that turns out to be the key, but in the meantime I turn my iPhone to a hot spot running on my work Vodafone contract, frustratingly always had better data options on that that throughout our current trip, used my phone as a hot spot a few times but been good to check on data consumption, reset data counter on 1st of month as package restarts and to this morning has used 2.1Gb out of 3Gb allowed

Did send and receive on my work emails and my phone went bonkers with text messages, ignored to start with but after 6 or so checked and saw I had exceeded my monthly data allowance, checked consumption and it had jumped to 5.2Gb, basically I would say impossible even if streaming a film and live sport at same time, but a few emails. :( Quickly turned off data, noticed an option in the text message to add more data by replying so did this and then rang Vodafone for help

Now to be told that the text reply wouldn't be active for 24 hours !!o_O I then managed to fail security questions by not knowing the normal amount of the bill to the nearest £ :mad: work pays Oh Please! why should I know, they also asked how many phones on the contract, hardly a trick but I reckon they looked at up to last month when we took one off, but they couldn't tell me :mad::mad: so locked out of my own provider (for 25+ years :mad:)

So Bev decides to check her ipad data, suggests run out and gives options to top up (y) simples, did this, still no data o_O rang 3 having already paid £25 for the worst deal we had ever agreed to, but needs must, you have already used your 9Gb over seas allowance. Great, the cars wasn't out of data, but over limit, we had now added more data that has to be used in 30 days, but nothing can be used until the monthly reset on 23rd Sept, the day we return anyway o_Oo_O can we have our £25 back, no :mad:

By now I had my office unlock Vodafone and they have added 5Gb to my phone account cost another £25 + VAT but needs must and in the whole scheme of things this cost is tiny in the whole trip, but it might take up to 18 hours to be useable, OK how will I know? you wont, or at least you will if you get another text message saying over allowance :mad::mad: Oh Please!

Suddenly inspired though, take 3 sim out of next to useless mifi, stick that in iPad (y)(y), could have been where we are now 12 hours ago and £50 cheaper o_O

As for the odd data consumption I am now convinced I was robbed at the service area, even though my data is security protected I reckon someone hacked it :(:(

so this where we are now, a weird drive in, camper contact location, not a real site, but no parking restrictions and a lovely place by a reservoir at Eupen, I decided that Germany and me were not getting on so headed as close to France as we could get in what was left of the day (nowhere near so light so late this far south :)), we are now in Belgium, I partly thought initially that maybe Germany and 3 didn't have a deal, now know this isn't the case

IMG_4005.JPG

IMG_4006.JPG

IMG_4007.JPG

used camper contact directions to get us in, due to a few close run ins with TT, they must be collaboration, took me down a 3.5T limit road, risked that, but it turned to 2T with no notice then took me down a really steep twisty road, not good and I now know only to save about 50yds or so on the right road o_Oo_O

tomorrow we should hit France, let Bev have a hypermarket shop (she loves them) then rebook slightly earlier return on chunnel and get home to check home, kids, grand kids, cats, pond, builders etc etc, the only thing sorted has been I had the grass cut weekly while away (y)

Tomorrows another day, trip has been great, this frustration, the only other problem was the fuse on the reversing camera going, a real result for 6000+ mile trip, looking forward to a night or 2 in France before returning, will be on Funster lookout for other returners / departers around Calais (y) just had a slightly surreal moment checking options for tomorrow night opened camper contact on a possible location had a picture of us on site, they must have used our photo submitted with a review but it did seem odd, can't quote the site now, closed the page and internet really poor tonight, but I do recall it was the last time we had to get a jump start o_Oo_O

nearly home, done over 2000 miles since leaving Narvik in only 7 days (we are not all Brewery Dave for driving stamina :LOL:)

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I didn't understand a single word of that internet stuff, but love the photos. :rolleyes:

Reactions: DBK
Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
We will miss you at Calais David, we don't get there till Friday and cross Saturday.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We've found WiFi to be frustrating on our trip. We have Three and Vodaphone. Vodaphone has worked the best out of the two. Funnily enough we've had some of our best signals in the more remote places. Here in Bremerhaven last night the signal was bad and we used the Three chip which was marginally better. This morning OK!

You'll be back about a week before us!!! We get the ferry next Tuesday evening and arrive in Harwich early morning. We're unlikely to do any German motorways as we're crossing into Holland in Friesland using minor roads. I hope the Dutch motorways are roadwork free!

Safe trip and good shopping for Bev.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
That sounds like one desperate need for data :rolleyes:

I need to feed you lot with my travel updates, including photos (y) I have been really surprised just how much data seems to get used randomly, think not turning off windows updates was a big mistake though o_O

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
How have you found the camera system David ?

still fairly impressed, useful in close manoeuvres, pretty good on motorways, slightly disappointing rear view on the move, looks a good image but doesn't go far back, although it is odd when parked you can see 50 yds very clearly, but on the move that isn't actually very far

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
We will miss you at Calais David, we don't get there till Friday and cross Saturday.

hello Dave, sounds like Twin lakes went well, glad to read that Sandra is getting on well post op (y)

not sure yet on travel date, still got to get to Calais and Lola need s her check over then 24 hours, you could still be back before us :)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Moved off our overnight free 'aire' by a reservoir, grey and cloudy even a bit of light rain, took a wrong turn, then got into a road closure detour down seriously narrow lanes but popped out again near a motorway, joined and stopped for breakfast

Bev rang 3 they agreed to allow her to use some of the data, juts as well as windows did another update on my laptop and stole 1.5Gb of my new 5Gb add on to my work phone, definitely need to turn off windows updates when abroad o_O infact must do it right now o_O

Bev had just told me that my shorts were now definitely inappropriate on such a grey damp day then the sun popped out, so shorts are staying (y)(y)

just reviewed the forum vet map, randomly picked one just inside France on our general direction to Calais, it is in Marpent, the post also mentions the aire at Boussois that I mentioned further back in this thread, a nice little aire, free, free water, riverside location and also the place where we last had to be jump started 2 years ago o_O actually I think there might have been another time but one of the last :)(y)

so that seems like a plan, until we suddenly realised we have a French phone number but are in Belgium, we would add 00 33 ringing France from UK, do we add same code from here, so decided its just as easy to drive to the vets anyway, then either go straight in or book an appointment for tomorrow (y)(y)

France here we come :):)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
note to above on windows updates, it would appear that you cant turn them off with windows 10, theres progress for you o_O but it does say it will not perform them on a metered connection, another myth :( how does it know? bloody computers :mad:

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Its annoying when apps & software "update" without your permission, especially when you're on limited allowance.
I think I have turned off all auto updates but still the occasional one sneaks through.
...and more often than not an update causes more problems than it fixes :mad:.

You might want to look at the pretty good deals available from Three at the moment...
I got 40gb/mth, & a mifi for £15/mth thanks to the heads up by @ianthebuilder .
I'd have to double check the paperwork but I believe 30gb can be used as Feel At Home.
The mifi picks up a stronger signal than the phone (y)

Anyway as you say, in the scheme of things, not a huge dent in the trip's budget - especially when Bev has had her hypermarket expedition :D2 - but I feel your frustration.
Hope you're both fit & well - have enjoyed this thread immensely & am delighted you got to properly see the Northern Lights :).

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
what a delight to get excellent service and not get (or at least feel) ripped off, found this vet via the map, happened to be somewhere near where we had stayed before so just turned up expecting to make an appointment, called straight in, by mistake we had left the worming tablets in motorhome, took flea and tick in error, they gave Lola 5 pills checked over, stamped passport €16.25 please :):) that will do nicely (y)(y)

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewe...I&ll=50.28867794669647,3.816812443847539&z=11

upload_2017-9-20_14-6-15.png

now just got the chunnel to rearrange and tonights location to finalise, not found a supermarket for Bev yet o_O

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
what a delight to get excellent service and not get (or at least feel) ripped off, found this vet via the map, happened to be somewhere near where we had stayed before so just turned up expecting to make an appointment, called straight in, by mistake we had left the worming tablets in motorhome, took flea and tick in error, they gave Lola 5 pills checked over, stamped passport €16.25 please :):) that will do nicely (y)(y)

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?msa=0&mid=1iIlzLt0KPOT6sNe-n7TuoAgxcjI&ll=50.28867794669647,3.816812443847539&z=11

View attachment 187115

now just got the chunnel to rearrange and tonights location to finalise, not found a supermarket for Bev yet o_O
Beats our €34 with own tablets. (y)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
note to above on windows updates, it would appear that you cant turn them off with windows 10, theres progress for you o_O but it does say it will not perform them on a metered connection, another myth :( how does it know? bloody computers :mad:
David, you have to tell Windows 10 that a particular wifi connection is metered. You do it through the settings for that connection. We have done it for our Mifi.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Beautiful sunny day here in France, still in shorts :)(y)

Been tuned into Radio 2 on line keep hearing about good weather in UK for weekend so have rescheduled our return to tonight, although managed to block myself out of Eurotunnel, forgot I booked this as a one off not through frequent traveller, used wrong password too many times o_Oo_O all unblocked and rebooked, home (Folkestone) late this evening, will then decide on drive overnight or early morning, or sleep and drive in daylight, awful choice of quiet roads but dark or busy and daylight

will update thread when home with costs, need to see what has been charged for the Norway road tolls and the Swedish bridge crossings, all on auto pay, also still fear I might have activated a Norwegian speed camera :(

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Beautiful sunny day here in France, still in shorts :)(y)

Been tuned into Radio 2 on line keep hearing about good weather in UK for weekend so have rescheduled our return to tonight, although managed to block myself out of Eurotunnel, forgot I booked this as a one off not through frequent traveller, used wrong password too many times o_Oo_O all unblocked and rebooked, home (Folkestone) late this evening, will then decide on drive overnight or early morning, or sleep and drive in daylight, awful choice of quiet roads but dark or busy and daylight

will update thread when home with costs, need to see what has been charged for the Norway road tolls and the Swedish bridge crossings, all on auto pay, also still fear I might have activated a Norwegian speed camera :(
I hope you are right about the weekend weather David - all I heard was about MPs who haven't spoken in parliament but still claim their full expenses:mad:

As always I've loved reading about your exploits :LOL: safe travels, I imagine the roads will seem really busy here compared to what we've seen on your pics.....

So did you do EVERY day in shorts?o_O:LOL:

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I hope you are right about the weekend weather David -

So did you do EVERY day in shorts?o_O:LOL:

So do I for you and family (y)(y) did I read that Davids wedding is in Chesterfield?

Shorts all bar 1 and a half days where it drizzled and my feet got wet in sandals :):):):), it really has been that good couldn't have expected better and the good weather came good at night as well (y)(y)

hope to see you soon, hoping to pop into NMA on way home tomorrow will have a quick chat with Les xx

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
So do I for you and family (y)(y) did I read that Davids wedding is in Chesterfield?

Shorts all bar 1 and a half days where it drizzled and my feet got wet in sandals :):):):), it really has been that good couldn't have expected better and the good weather came good at night as well (y)(y)

hope to see you soon, hoping to pop into NMA on way home tomorrow will have a quick chat with Les xx
No my cousins wedding is in Chesterfield on the same day as David's.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back