No more Southport floral pavillion car park (1 Viewer)

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
No more motorhome parking if you don't fit in the bays completely any more.
I was parked there today and was talking to a parky, Sefton Council have changed the rules , even if you buy 2 tickets.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
No more motorhome parking if you don't fit in the bays completely any more.
I was parked there today and was talking to a parky, Sefton Council have changed the rules , even if you buy 2 tickets.
Is that on all their carparks ?
What about if the rear overhang is over the grass verge or waste ground ?

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I was planning a trip up there last week, saw the reviews on SFS. As our van is 8tr I contacted the council just to check the situation, I had the reply you mentioned above, not allowed if to big for bay and also not allowed to buy two bays. ☹️

OP
OP
Tombola

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Is that on all their carparks ?
What about if the rear overhang is over the grass verge or waste ground ?
Nope...complete ban unless you are a small van that fits completely.
And the same on the esplanade. Can still park on the road.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 19, 2021
Nr Wigan, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido A Class
Exp
What about the disabled bays if you overhang the grass at the rear but otherwise fit in the bay?

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
I really do not understand the mentality of these councils..
If you have a car and park/pay for a slot and the car behind parks/pays for a slot...
2 slots.... 2 payments..
Along comes me, narrow enough to fit in slot but too long.. so park/pay
2 slots.....2 payments
What's the issue.... the issue, as I see it is they don't want us..
Yes they want our money when Mrs Poppycamper stroll up n down highstreet splashing the cash...
BUT ONLY IF WE CAN FIT IN ONE SLOT!!

May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
I really do not understand the mentality of these councils..
If you have a car and park/pay for a slot and the car behind parks/pays for a slot...
2 slots.... 2 payments..
Along comes me, narrow enough to fit in slot but too long.. so park/pay
2 slots.....2 payments
What's the issue.... the issue, as I see it is they don't want us..
Yes they want our money when Mrs Poppycamper stroll up n down highstreet splashing the cash...
BUT ONLY IF WE CAN FIT IN ONE SLOT!!
Maybe it's not about the money but about making the facility available for the most number of people.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
That is getting more difficult in Southport as well. Too many shops closing.
Yep because.....
A..Council over charging to park in town centers.
B. Council demanding over inflated rent on properties.. and of coarse
C.. Tinternet.... however around here we slowly.. very slowly seeing the return of small independent shops on highstreet and apparently bucking the Tinternet trend..

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Maybe it's not about the money but about making the facility available for the most number of people.
Oki doki... yes I except that.... however in response who knows how many in each vehicle....
Plenty of cars with single occupancy..and a moho.... could have 6..
I know it Is a sticky subject, but I just get feeling ( and indeed annoyed) that councils, everywhere, just seem go out their way to shun us..... even though they know we are the ones bringing the money in..

OP
OP
Tombola

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
What about the disabled bays if you overhang the grass at the rear but otherwise fit in the bay?
No, I'm afraid not.
Can't understand it me, the place was empty, and if you buy 2 tickets it's still.not allowed.

No different than if it was 2 cars

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Maybe it's a car park and they want to use it for cars! That being said I hope they police it fully for people in cars that don't fit the spaces a lot are now so big you might be able to park but you wouldn't get the door open if the next space is similar

Aug 17, 2011
Wrexham
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Arapaho
Exp
since 2005
We recently stayed in Southport (water side Lodge?) Southport used to be a regular visit for us. However we won't be going again soon. The condition of the town was very poor.
Many empty shops, pubs closed, the Scarisbrick hotel closed and the condition of pavements along Lord Street (broken and uneven flag stones and weeds) Wasn't good. Also the pier was closed, which has been closed for 2 years, although it is hoped to open sometime this year.
Apparently there is no airshow this year either.
Just saying.

May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
I spent 18 months living up north in the mid 70's that was more than enough. :LOL:
The dry summer of '76 the locals up there thought it was hot, how weird.:rofl:
There's more to an area than just El Sol. Anyway, we now have global warming.

Feb 17, 2012
merseyside
Funster No
MH
Murvi Pimento
Exp
Since 2015
Where is Southport Floral Pavilion? Do you mean the conference centre?
If so that is having a major refurb and the road outside is closed off. Local residents are being given parking passes for that carpark as they can’t drive to their homes.

OP
OP
Tombola

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Maybe it's a car park and they want to use it for cars! That being said I hope they police it fully for people in cars that don't fit the spaces a lot are now so big you might be able to park but you wouldn't get the door open if the next space is similar
That's what he said...he "thinks" its because people in cars complaining they can't get in. Amd so what if cars can't get in as long as they buy 2 tickets or fit in one bay.
My wheels fitted in one bay but i overhang so buy 2 tickets.

I've been here dozens of time the past 12 months some times just for the afternoon or eve. Never more than half full.

Learner drivers use it for pupils to practice reverse parking its that quiet.

Let's maybe say summer holidays etc gets busy than I'm.sure restrictions. Could be added.
They have done the same at the other one "the esplanade" and they guy who took the motorhome money there has now lost his job According to parky.. Drove past it yesterday..not a single car on it.???

At a time when councils are tight on funds I'd assume they want all they can get.
He said we could stay so me and the wife went to our planned meal at the Grand, 100.00 spent and probably the last time. Wonder how they feel about it.

Feb 17, 2012
merseyside
Funster No
MH
Murvi Pimento
Exp
Since 2015
They have just stopped the buses at the Park and Ride as well. Apparently the car park is still open but it’s now Park and No Ride. Maybe that will be an option in the future?

Feb 5, 2020
Crosby
Funster No
MH
Smileo 202
Exp
Was a Newbie but getting the hang of it now.
We recently stayed in Southport (water side Lodge?) Southport used to be a regular visit for us. However we won't be going again soon. The condition of the town was very poor.
Many empty shops, pubs closed, the Scarisbrick hotel closed and the condition of pavements along Lord Street (broken and uneven flag stones and weeds) Wasn't good. Also the pier was closed, which has been closed for 2 years, although it is hoped to open sometime this year.
Apparently there is no airshow this year either.
Just saying.
The Airshow is on the schedule for the BoB memorial flights.

Oct 5, 2019
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
im a newbie
No, I'm afraid not.
Can't understand it me, the place was empty, and if you buy 2 tickets it's still.not allowed.

No different than if it was 2 cars
its southport council ,,there rubbish ,,the big car park on the prom seafront could be used to park lots of motorhomes its always empty ,,but they dont seem to want to do anything to make money ,,except put speed camera vans everywhere and make roads ,,for buses and taxis only ,,

OP
OP
Tombola

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Motorhomers are pretty much the only people that went in the "smallest pub in britain" in the winter months

right next door..he won't be happy

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tombola

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Weekends maybe 10 - 15 - vans on Floral esp if you count down the side of the lake on the "road" bit
10 or 15 on esplanade, and Im talking overnight not all day, most move on.
then through week, 5 or so on each

So 500 for weekend takings
and 300 for all midweek
then the money they spend in town or at chippy/morrisons
same old story

One good thing was mentioned, he did say he had seen motorhomers litter picking etc

OP
OP
Tombola

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Is parking free on the esplanade and road section ?
Parky said it was but Im sure when I was there a few eyars ag it was P&D...but maybe it stops at 11 pm or something. its all quite slanted though from memory, so small wheel ramps on nearside required.
Plus points though are toilets and bins are right out side if you use them

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back