No internal power at home - oops. (1 Viewer)

Mar 28, 2010
Wirral
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer 504
Exp
Since 1995
We provide power to our motorhome on the drive by having an outdoor plug socket which is waterproof and occasionally used for powering outside machinery such as the mower. We use a short mains hook up with convertor/adaptor which was supposed to be waterproof. The main cable then hooks up to the motorhome electric inlet. This system failed us today after over 10 years when water found its way into the convertor/adaptor and blew the fuse in the house box.

Having looked at the internet it seems that the mains hook ups are for garage use, not heavy rainfalls..

I'd welcome advice on how I can continue providing nominal electricity to the van when it sits on the drive. Battery is standard 100 a pacity. Should I just buy a new mains convertor/adaptor and hope water will stay away for the net few years when I will have given up motorhoming on age/health grounds. If so, I'd welcome make and retail info.

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
We have two possibilities. A “site socket” as Lenny described. Also we have an outside waterproof socket, ordinary 13 amp, with an adaptor flex to the van cable, as I think you describe you have had. Certainly the join between the two is inside a waterproof shield.
I think one of your requirements is to use the external socket for other tools. Would it be possible to install a site socket, which is fine for the van, then have a short extension from a site plug to a 13 amp socket into which you plug your mower or what ever, just when needed. So you only use the extension when it is not raining. Hope that makes sense.

OP
OP
A
Mar 28, 2010
Wirral
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer 504
Exp
Since 1995
Screenshot 2022-10-05 at 17.17.31.png

Lenny HB - this is the best I can do at the moment. I'm thinking about hja's idea.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I would fit a "site socket" so your EHU cable can plug in and be used in all weather.
Then buy an adapter to plug in a 3 pin mains plug for use with mower etc, so sorted both ways unless you want to mow in the rain 😁👍
So the opposite adapter to what's in the picture.

Basically what HJA says.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I realised after I posted you were probably usin one of them.
Fit one of these & you won't have any more problems.

Deleted User
My hook up cable runs out from under my garage door to the moho on the drive, never had any problems with cut out…. Yet. Not of much help if your moho is not near a garage though.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
This system failed us today after over 10 years.........
TBH I wouldn't bother if it only means resetting the house trip once every ten years.

You have what seems like the same system as mine with a wall outlet as in post #7. I use a short proprietary 13amp to blue female EHU socket into which I plug the standard hook-up lead. It's been in place throughout all weathers for 11 years when I'm at home and hasn't tripped, yet.

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I realised after I posted you were probably usin one of them.
Fit one of these & you won't have any more problems.

Whoops that's a male you need a female socket.
This one.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Been moho’ing for a time now
We provide power to our motorhome on the drive by having an outdoor plug socket which is waterproof and occasionally used for powering outside machinery such as the mower. We use a short mains hook up with convertor/adaptor which was supposed to be waterproof. The main cable then hooks up to the motorhome electric inlet. This system failed us today after over 10 years when water found its way into the convertor/adaptor and blew the fuse in the house box.

Having looked at the internet it seems that the mains hook ups are for garage use, not heavy rainfalls..

I'd welcome advice on how I can continue providing nominal electricity to the van when it sits on the drive. Battery is standard 100 a pacity. Should I just buy a new mains convertor/adaptor and hope water will stay away for the net few years when I will have given up motorhoming on age/health grounds. If so, I'd welcome make and retail info.

You need to check that what ever you intend to use externally (permanently) that it’s at least IP65 protected

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Stupid boy quoted the wrong post edited now.
Well you had me worried for a moment. I have occasionally suffered a ticking off from those of the opposite polarity due to my apparent ignorance of the finer points of their configuration, nevertheless I do have a pretty good idea of the basic layout.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
There are literally millions of these plugs and sockets in use throughout UK and Europe, and they work without problems. There is no such thing as a 'waterproof' connection, there are only various grades of protection against certain specified conditions. The protection is given an Ingress Protection (IP) number. The first number is protection from solids (finger, tools, dust etc) and the second is protection from water.

The standard blue plugs and sockets are given a rating of IP44. The '4' means protection against splashes from any direction. It does not have protection against powerful hose jets and power washers, or immersion in water including puddles.

IP44 generally means rainproof. If your adapter does not give protection against rain, then maybe it is assembled incorrectly and can leak. Or the plastic seal could have been affected by UV light over the years.

If you want a more weatherproof connection you can get the same type of adapter (plug and socket) with a screwed rubber sealing ring, which will give you IP67 protection (short periods of immersion in up to 1 metre depth of water). Note that these plugs are supposed to fit the standard (IP44) sockets, but I found that they won't fit the mains inlet on my Hymer, because the bigger sealing flap gets in the way.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We have two double "site hook ups" as mentioned above but also a waterproof double outlet as @Jimbohorlickshas posted although ours is inside an external structure to keep even more weather off it.

All fitted by a qualified electrician.

OP
OP
A
Mar 28, 2010
Wirral
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer 504
Exp
Since 1995
Thanks to all.

Needs must and all that; I ended up getting a new short mains hook up with convertor/adaptor and a new cable to the van - both from Amazon. The amount of rain water in those 'old' cables seemed a bit too much and the replacements were due at ten years so I thought the time was right anyway.

Also, from Homestead Caravans I bought and fitted a CEE Plug and Coupler Safebox (not camperselect) on my wife's suggestion.

Screenshot 2022-10-07 at 14.54.55.png

Isn't next day delivery wonderful! The house electrics are all working, the van battery is now charging, and I can look into more detail at the options when I get back from 5 days at a CL in New Mills, or as the CMC call it, Chapel-en-le-frith.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back