Nice Van but there is a Fly in the Ointment (1 Viewer)

Oct 9, 2019
Joppa
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 Starline
Exp
My wife and I just sold our caravan last week and we are now in the process of looking at campervans. We saw this lovely Citroen Relay at the weekend and it had everything that we were looking for – price, layout, rear toilet, size, colour – but there is a fly in the ointment.
My wife had read that when looking at a van you shouldn’t be afraid to move cushions etc to get into all the nooks and crannies and check for damage and damp and she did just that, asking the owner if it was ok first, and everything was coming up fine until she got to the area under a bench cushion where the water heater and pump along with all the pipes and connections are located. She found that it was damp, almost wet, under the plywood that everything sat on and I had a feel as well getting my fingers right underneath and yes it was not only damp but I would say wet.
The owner, who seems a nice person, looked disconcerted about what we had discovered. The van is obviously well kept by the owner and his wife in fact it looks pristine and I tend to believe him when he said that this area of wetness was a surprise to him. The van had been sitting for two weeks since their last short trip.
My feeling is that there is a very slow leak from the water heater or pump and that this is causing the problem. I don’t think there is any water ingress from anywhere causing this. Everywhere else in the van as far as we could tell is dry and there is no smell of damp at all. There is no habitation report for the van.
I called him later on that day and said that I would like to buy the van on condition that the area that was wet was repaired and the cause identified.
Anyway I would appreciate any thoughts that members may have on this. This is a big purchase for us and we don’t want to be left with a white elephant if we go ahead and buy then have to sell at a loss later in the year.
cheers Martin

OP
OP
jopparocks
Oct 9, 2019
Joppa
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 Starline
Exp
Well you need something with a good heater and good insulation then, don't rush there are plenty of vans around.
I personally think at the minute the motorhome market has gone crazy, I would wait a few months and snap a bargain up in November or December.
I've read all the replies and boy has there been good advice here. It's likely that if there was no damp issue when we saw it last Sunday then we would have bought it there and then and going by what has been said here probably regretted it. The point about the insulation is the last nail in the coffin as far as I'm concerned and having talked it over with my wife I am going to call the seller tomorrow and tell him I'm no longer interested.
As you have suggested we are probably now going to wait until the end of the summer and see what bargains can be got from staycationers who have regretted ever buying a van and are keen to get shot of them.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I find it hard to be cheeky when saying to a seller 'I'll give you x below asking price' and don't have much experience at all at it. For you experienced negotiators out there what price should I come back to him with - is £15k too low?
He can only say no, where as if you offer 18 and he says yes you would never know if you could have saved a few more grand.

Although the layout is quite nice it is very unusual for a PVC which will affect the saleability when you come to move on.
Also the conversion looks like its been done from a donor caravan and I agree with all of what TheBig1 says.
I think you could find something a lot better for your 20k.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Raymond Bonello

Free Member
May 20, 2017
MALTA
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
6years
My wife and I just sold our caravan last week and we are now in the process of looking at campervans. We saw this lovely Citroen Relay at the weekend and it had everything that we were looking for – price, layout, rear toilet, size, colour – but there is a fly in the ointment.
My wife had read that when looking at a van you shouldn’t be afraid to move cushions etc to get into all the nooks and crannies and check for damage and damp and she did just that, asking the owner if it was ok first, and everything was coming up fine until she got to the area under a bench cushion where the water heater and pump along with all the pipes and connections are located. She found that it was damp, almost wet, under the plywood that everything sat on and I had a feel as well getting my fingers right underneath and yes it was not only damp but I would say wet.
The owner, who seems a nice person, looked disconcerted about what we had discovered. The van is obviously well kept by the owner and his wife in fact it looks pristine and I tend to believe him when he said that this area of wetness was a surprise to him. The van had been sitting for two weeks since their last short trip.
My feeling is that there is a very slow leak from the water heater or pump and that this is causing the problem. I don’t think there is any water ingress from anywhere causing this. Everywhere else in the van as far as we could tell is dry and there is no smell of damp at all. There is no habitation report for the van.
I called him later on that day and said that I would like to buy the van on condition that the area that was wet was repaired and the cause identified.
Anyway I would appreciate any thoughts that members may have on this. This is a big purchase for us and we don’t want to be left with a white elephant if we go ahead and buy then have to sell at a loss later in the year.
cheers Martin
It could be that the water pump is leaking. As you said it makes sense that he repair job for you, before you buy. However a pump will come in the region of £150 together with some spares. This ofcourse if the pump needs changing. Maybe there are only some clips to be fixed or a blocked filter which is attached to the pump. It is not a difficult job to do.
Cheers

Upvote 0

Loadofmischief

Free Member
Jun 30, 2019
Great Britain
Funster No
MH
Kon-tiki 649
Exp
Since 2010
I would look for another van, if he's selling it like that without telling you and YOU actually discovered it what else has he not disclose
All this faffing about. Is it this, is it that; did he know or didn't he; hab check no hab check; £300 or £140! If he'll lower the price I'll buy it anyway. It's got no guarantee and it's damaged - WALK AWAY!
Just skimming this thread again, I would walk away from this mate. You have had a caravan, a panel van is going to be so claustrophobic by comparison, if you start with any doubts about it you could end up hating it and trying to sell it on. How would you like to do that with what you know now.
Exactly my thoughts. It's damaged and got no guarantee. Walk!

Upvote 0

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
Seller phoned me a couple of minutes ago saying he had taken the water heater and pipes out and the only bit of damp was at the edge of the insulation. One of the pipes was connected by jubilee clip which wasn't on tight and he thinks this may have been the culprit but not sure/ He's agreed to have a habitation test done.
Asked about provenance of van and said it was self build done by guy who sold caravans so shout out to The Big 1 (y)for that spot.
Not many for sale on gumtree or autotrader in my area that I like just now so this is still in the running if habitation comes back good and can beat him down to good price.
Need to get out of the house and into the mountains have been working from home now since March and am going stir crazy. Son and daughter came home from uni to stay with us just before lockdown which doesn't help. Still others are having it worse so need to keep a sense of perspective.
Must admit this last couple of hours replying to you all has been the best fun I've had for ages.
Wait until you have been doing it for a couple of months :giggle: :giggle:

Upvote 0

rick brind

Free Member
May 28, 2018
Funster No
MH
hymer a class
Exp
6 years
Walk away. If the guy didn't know then the van could probably have other hidden faults. There's plenty more about.

Upvote 0

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Well everyone I texted the seller today and backed out of buying it. Feel more confident in going forward looking at some others now.

Well if he is a Funster he would have probably guessed :unsure: if he was following this thread. You can get a really nice van for your budget and think about it for a pounds in fuel to get a better selection travelling may be worth considering.

If you are really desperate to get away why not just hire one and then when the madness calms down re-evaluate the situation.

Good luck and please keep us updated (because we are very nosey)👃👃👃

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jopparocks
Oct 9, 2019
Joppa
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 Starline
Exp
Well if he is a Funster he would have probably guessed :unsure: if he was following this thread. You can get a really nice van for your budget and think about it for a pounds in fuel to get a better selection travelling may be worth considering.

If you are really desperate to get away why not just hire one and then when the madness calms down re-evaluate the situation.

Good luck and please keep us updated (because we are very nosey)👃👃👃
Hiring one is an option but my wife has suggested booking a cottage in the borders for a long weekend which seems a good idea. Already have my eye on one in Galasheils which seems a bit basic but attracted by the low mileage and the fact that it will have been serviced regularly by the school.
Its this one here

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
Change the bathroom door for a Tambour sliding door. 79000 miles? Nothing for a modern diesel and it's age. Water leak definitely pointing to an internal leak. I had one from the pipe fitting that went into the water heater. Like someone else previously mentioned. I only found out because the pump would give the occasional tick through the night. It was just a case of unscrewing the fitting then taping the threads before refitting.

Upvote 0

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Hiring one is an option but my wife has suggested booking a cottage in the borders for a long weekend which seems a good idea. Already have my eye on one in Galasheils which seems a bit basic but attracted by the low mileage and the fact that it will have been serviced regularly by the school.
Its this one here

Ex school bus, how may 'casual drivers' all the teachers, office staff, slipping the clutch harsh braking I know these vans are make to take a battering but it has had 1 carful owner and 50 or so careless drivers.
Sorry I seem to be putting a downer on it again but know through experience how poorly these vehicles are treated as no 'owns' them.
Renault master I used one commercial for a while and it took a hammering and rarely complained but we only kept it 2 years before moving it on.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-...0001&campid=5338547443&icep_item=372716299666

Trouble is now I have started snooping to see what is about, but I would get full facilities loo/shower if you can. Next time see it like buy it and don't ask us lot :rofl:

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Right, sorry to be negative, but to the trained eye, this looks like a very cheap conversion using a wrecked caravan. Overhead lockers too tall and don't flow through.
I agree, those lockers are actually dangerously low over the cooker ... a disaster waiting to happen.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Well everyone I texted the seller today and backed out of buying it. Feel more confident in going forward looking at some others now.
Unfortunately I've only just read this thread so couldn't help before but I think you have made a very wise decision not to go for it, it's overpriced and the layout isn't great and wouldn't be the easiest to sell on in the future.

As I've mentioned above its dangerous too which makes me wonder what other stuff isn't up to spec ... as your first camper I'd suggest getting a good quality known make that hasn't been messed about with then at least if you find it isn't the right layout for you, or you don't take to it, you won't lose much, if anything, if you haggle well.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jopparocks
Oct 9, 2019
Joppa
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 Starline
Exp
Unfortunately I've only just read this thread so couldn't help before but I think you have made a very wise decision not to go for it, it's overpriced and the layout isn't great and wouldn't be the easiest to sell on in the future.

As I've mentioned above its dangerous too which makes me wonder what other stuff isn't up to spec ... as your first camper I'd suggest getting a good quality known make that hasn't been messed about with then at least if you find it isn't the right layout for you, or you don't take to it, you won't lose much, if anything, if you haggle well.
Thanks Minxy great to know there's so many people on my side here.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jopparocks
Oct 9, 2019
Joppa
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 Starline
Exp
Upvote 0
Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
I've read all the replies and boy has there been good advice here. It's likely that if there was no damp issue when we saw it last Sunday then we would have bought it there and then and going by what has been said here probably regretted it. The point about the insulation is the last nail in the coffin as far as I'm concerned and having talked it over with my wife I am going to call the seller tomorrow and tell him I'm no longer interested.
As you have suggested we are probably now going to wait until the end of the summer and see what bargains can be got from staycationers who have regretted ever buying a van and are keen to get shot of them.

I haven't commented as you are getting good advice from many experienced Funsters,just to say you have made the right decision, good luck in finding something more suitable.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jopparocks
Oct 9, 2019
Joppa
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 Starline
Exp
I haven't commented as you are getting good advice from many experienced Funsters,just to say you have made the right decision, good luck in finding something more suitable.
Thanks littlewheels - its like looking for a new (second hand) car - exciting but worrying at the same time.

Upvote 0

Raymond Bonello

Free Member
May 20, 2017
MALTA
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
6years
:giggle: :giggle:
Do not try to purchase a motorhome unless you are sure that everything is ok and in working order. Little things like this happen in a motorhome, same as unexpectedly your home water tap will start dripping. Make a through check and if needed bring a competent person to check it for you. On his suggestion make your choice. I first suggested that it could be the pump supplying water to the system, being just a jubilee clip is a very small matter. Wish you luck.

Upvote 0

The Simpsons

Free Member
Jul 29, 2019
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Newbie ex caravan
You may have missed out on a decent van. Citroen relay 2011 has a chain not a cam belt so doesn't need changing as some have stated. As for the space between the cooker and the overhead cupboards being dangerous, as long as the glass top can be raised vertically from the manufacturer minimum distance 526mm it is correctly installed. I can't believe the elitist opinion on this group. I am happy with my citroen relay PVC. I may be banned but at least I can say I am honest and give honest opinions. My PVC conversions allows me to walk past the oven door when it's open. It was converted by a company, is well insulated and I enjoyed 14 days on the isle of Harris in the winter of 2019. Bye

Upvote 0

Flower Power

Free Member
Jul 30, 2020
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
1 year previously a tugger
I rather like the citroen van especially the layout. I think in day to day use it will be very practical. Like you we were previously caravaners. Don't be put off a van that hasn't been converted by one of the big companies. It's got a caravan interior, so what? It's what you are used to. It's got an oven and grill which you don't find in many motorhomes. As for the water leak PVCs don't suffer from damp the same way as coach built motorhomes do. It may just be a loose pipe that can be easily sorted. If the hob lid can lift up it meets the requirements for the hob to operate. As for insulation, ask the guy who's selling it. I love the rear washroom, so much more room than our side washroom and somewhere to store your chairs or muddy walking boots! As for a citroen, 70k miles is nothing on a van designed to do 250k miles! In addion they have a timing chain so no need to change every 5 years. I think the majority of people on here that have commented are coach built or A class owners, a Pvc is a different beast. Unless the van is really tatty inside I'd go for it. Get the owner to show you everything working. And with your caravan knowledge you should know what to expect. For price comparison have a look at dealer prices or motorhome depot. com and you might be surprised.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jopparocks
Oct 9, 2019
Joppa
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 Starline
Exp
I rather like the citroen van especially the layout. I think in day to day use it will be very practical. Like you we were previously caravaners. Don't be put off a van that hasn't been converted by one of the big companies. It's got a caravan interior, so what? It's what you are used to. It's got an oven and grill which you don't find in many motorhomes. As for the water leak PVCs don't suffer from damp the same way as coach built motorhomes do. It may just be a loose pipe that can be easily sorted. If the hob lid can lift up it meets the requirements for the hob to operate. As for insulation, ask the guy who's selling it. I love the rear washroom, so much more room than our side washroom and somewhere to store your chairs or muddy walking boots! As for a citroen, 70k miles is nothing on a van designed to do 250k miles! In addion they have a timing chain so no need to change every 5 years. I think the majority of people on here that have commented are coach built or A class owners, a Pvc is a different beast. Unless the van is really tatty inside I'd go for it. Get the owner to show you everything working. And with your caravan knowledge you should know what to expect. For price comparison have a look at dealer prices or motorhome depot. com and you might be surprised.
Thanks for the considered reply FP. I've already said to the seller that I'm not buying however we have seen another but my wife is a bit worried about the mileage. Would appreciate it if you could have a look and give your opinion. The price seems good.

Upvote 0

Flower Power

Free Member
Jul 30, 2020
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
1 year previously a tugger
Thanks for the considered reply FP. I've already said to the seller that I'm not buying however we have seen another but my wife is a bit worried about the mileage. Would appreciate it if you could have a look and give your opinion. The price seems good.
Compared to the citroen it looks tatty. What's your wife think about the kitchen?😒
I don't think the mileage would worry me if the van's been serviced etc but a fiat would need timing belt changes. I'm lucky though my eldest son is a vehicle master technician so I have a mechanic on speed dial. Sorry but from a womens perspective I don't like the inside.

Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
I’m not suggesting this particular vehicle.....and I know this one is slightly over the planned budget, but have you considered a compact coach build rather than a pcv?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-...0001&campid=5338547443&icep_item=324243620519

I’ve had a few PCV’s and converted two myself and I know they have lots of positives, but with you coming from the caravan background it may be a better middle ground and can be driven and parked just about anywhere.

These can start from around 11K for the previous shaped van cab to in excess of 30k.

As your aware by now, despite people saying get a different one to the one in your OP, there’s not much round at the 20k point.

Upvote 0

Raymond Bonello

Free Member
May 20, 2017
MALTA
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
6years
that
All I can say is that the van should be to your likings. The milage is not much to a diesel engine. Always get expert advice with regards to interior and engine. Do consider that it is a van for two people as it is rather compact, but very good in narrow roads. See that all socket outlets are functioning together with the other switches. Also take care that the reading on the instrument facia work well. Good luck Ray
You may have missed out on a decent van. Citroen relay 2011 has a chain not a cam belt so doesn't need changing as some have stated. As for the space between the cooker and the overhead cupboards being dangerous, as long as the glass top can be raised vertically from the manufacturer minimum distance 526mm it is correctly installed. I can't believe the elitist opinion on this group. I am happy with my citroen relay PVC. I may be banned but at least I can say I am honest and give honest opinions. My PVC conversions allows me to walk past the oven door when it's open. It was converted by a company, is well insulated and I enjoyed 14 days on the isle of Harris in the winter of 2019. Bye

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Compared to the citroen it looks tatty. What's your wife think about the kitchen?😒
I don't think the mileage would worry me if the van's been serviced etc but a fiat would need timing belt changes. I'm lucky though my eldest son is a vehicle master technician so I have a mechanic on speed dial. Sorry but from a womens perspective I don't like the inside.
Agree. Has the feel of a works van rather than a holiday van. But everyone’s different. My van is my happy place. I love it. Day trips, weekends, holidays It always has that holiday feeling!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back