Nice Van but there is a Fly in the Ointment (1 Viewer)

Oct 9, 2019
Joppa
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 Starline
Exp
My wife and I just sold our caravan last week and we are now in the process of looking at campervans. We saw this lovely Citroen Relay at the weekend and it had everything that we were looking for – price, layout, rear toilet, size, colour – but there is a fly in the ointment.
My wife had read that when looking at a van you shouldn’t be afraid to move cushions etc to get into all the nooks and crannies and check for damage and damp and she did just that, asking the owner if it was ok first, and everything was coming up fine until she got to the area under a bench cushion where the water heater and pump along with all the pipes and connections are located. She found that it was damp, almost wet, under the plywood that everything sat on and I had a feel as well getting my fingers right underneath and yes it was not only damp but I would say wet.
The owner, who seems a nice person, looked disconcerted about what we had discovered. The van is obviously well kept by the owner and his wife in fact it looks pristine and I tend to believe him when he said that this area of wetness was a surprise to him. The van had been sitting for two weeks since their last short trip.
My feeling is that there is a very slow leak from the water heater or pump and that this is causing the problem. I don’t think there is any water ingress from anywhere causing this. Everywhere else in the van as far as we could tell is dry and there is no smell of damp at all. There is no habitation report for the van.
I called him later on that day and said that I would like to buy the van on condition that the area that was wet was repaired and the cause identified.
Anyway I would appreciate any thoughts that members may have on this. This is a big purchase for us and we don’t want to be left with a white elephant if we go ahead and buy then have to sell at a loss later in the year.
cheers Martin

OP
OP
jopparocks
Oct 9, 2019
Joppa
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 Starline
Exp
Compared to the citroen it looks tatty. What's your wife think about the kitchen?😒
I don't think the mileage would worry me if the van's been serviced etc but a fiat would need timing belt changes. I'm lucky though my eldest son is a vehicle master technician so I have a mechanic on speed dial. Sorry but from a womens perspective I don't like the inside.
FP it does look a bit tatty :giggle: and it might not be up to my wife's high standards. Would suit me down to the ground though as I spoke to the owner and its insulated ready for winter use with diesel heater, has a bike rack and tow bar with scooter holder as well. Owner used it to go back and forth to his farm in France every year. Has had it remapped for economy and gets 40mpg with 80 mph at 2000 rpm. He was totally up front about it being basic. Also does the Fiat not have a chain timing belt - I checked them out online and one site said this.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jopparocks
Oct 9, 2019
Joppa
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 Starline
Exp
Agree. Has the feel of a works van rather than a holiday van. But everyone’s different. My van is my happy place. I love it. Day trips, weekends, holidays It always has that holiday feeling!
He used it for his job staying away in it so yes doubled as working van but he was totally upfront about this. I like the basic feel of it. Anyway hopefully will go and look at it tomorrow as its in Jedburgh not far from us.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jopparocks
Oct 9, 2019
Joppa
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 Starline
Exp
that
All I can say is that the van should be to your likings. The milage is not much to a diesel engine. Always get expert advice with regards to interior and engine. Do consider that it is a van for two people as it is rather compact, but very good in narrow roads. See that all socket outlets are functioning together with the other switches. Also take care that the reading on the instrument facia work well. Good luck Ray
Thanks Ray

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jopparocks
Oct 9, 2019
Joppa
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 Starline
Exp
I’m not suggesting this particular vehicle.....and I know this one is slightly over the planned budget, but have you considered a compact coach build rather than a pcv?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-...0001&campid=5338547443&icep_item=324243620519

I’ve had a few PCV’s and converted two myself and I know they have lots of positives, but with you coming from the caravan background it may be a better middle ground and can be driven and parked just about anywhere.

These can start from around 11K for the previous shaped van cab to in excess of 30k.

As your aware by now, despite people saying get a different one to the one in your OP, there’s not much round at the 20k point.
I'm not too keen on going down the very small route. I've driven big vans (minibuses) for years transporting students all over Scotland and France on field trips and I love driving them.

Upvote 0

Flower Power

Free Member
Jul 30, 2020
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
1 year previously a tugger
FP it does look a bit tatty :giggle: and it might not be up to my wife's high standards. Would suit me down to the ground though as I spoke to the owner and its insulated ready for winter use with diesel heater, has a bike rack and tow bar with scooter holder as well. Owner used it to go back and forth to his farm in France every year. Has had it remapped for economy and gets 40mpg with 80 mph at 2000 rpm. He was totally up front about it being basic. Also does the Fiat not have a chain timing belt - I checked them out online and one site said this.
No, fiat's have a timing belt which needs changing every 5 years. I'd be a bit wary of the bike rack on the back. It's easy to overload them and cause damage to the door, depending on how it's fitted of course. Another thing you might not have considered is payload. There's loads of threads on here about it so I'll leave you to mull over that one but carrying a scooter may take you over the payload. With our Citroën if hubby drives carefully we can get 40mpg anyway without being remapped. Hope that helps but as the saying goes 'happy wife happy life' 😂

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jopparocks
Oct 9, 2019
Joppa
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 Starline
Exp
No, fiat's have a timing belt which needs changing every 5 years. I'd be a bit wary of the bike rack on the back. It's easy to overload them and cause damage to the door, depending on how it's fitted of course. Another thing you might not have considered is payload. There's loads of threads on here about it so I'll leave you to mull over that one but carrying a scooter may take you over the payload. With our Citroën if hubby drives carefully we can get 40mpg anyway without being remapped. Hope that helps but as the saying goes 'happy wife happy life' 😂
Good call about the payload. Will def check that out. Highly unlikely will use a scooter as have good electric bike (wife can't ride a bike so will only be taking one bike on a trip). It's a joint decision so each of us has a veto over anything we look at. In reality though if wife really likes it I'll prob go for it as well.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Thanks for the considered reply FP. I've already said to the seller that I'm not buying however we have seen another but my wife is a bit worried about the mileage. Would appreciate it if you could have a look and give your opinion. The price seems good.
I'd be concerned about how well the conversion has been done, for example there is no dedicated gas locker store judging by the fact that the cylinder is stood up in the rear with all the other gubbings and a large vent has been put into the rear door which doesn't make it 'safe'. Price it up against a standard van of that age without all the kit in to give you an idea of whether it's a good buy.

Upvote 0
Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
The OP is correct......the 3 litre Fiat engine has a timing chain not a belt. The smaller capacity Fiat engines have timing belts.

The 3 litre engine is pretty bulletproof but check for reverse judder.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jopparocks
Oct 9, 2019
Joppa
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 Starline
Exp
I'd be concerned about how well the conversion has been done, for example there is no dedicated gas locker store judging by the fact that the cylinder is stood up in the rear with all the other gubbings and a large vent has been put into the rear door which doesn't make it 'safe'. Price it up against a standard van of that age without all the kit in to give you an idea of whether it's a good buy.
Went to see it and it was a bit manky and basic. Wife said right away she didn't want to buy it. As an aside he also had a fiat people carrier with 240,000 miles on the clock and still going strong. These engines must be amazing.

Upvote 0
Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
I know I'm a fellow newbie, but if I may, I would like to pass on some excellent advice we received (and tried!) from this very group. If it were me, I would sit down one evening with your wife and look at some of the layouts for PVC's....see what you think is going to be right for you taking into account rainy days, sweltering nights, midnight loo dashes and everything else you feel you might come across. Then rent one, use it to take that long weekend break you mentioned in an earlier post. You get your mini-break to de-stress as well as doing some valuable research in the process. If you like the layout you tried then you have something to base your future searches on.
My partner and I just got back from hiring a 7m van for two weeks...it taught us a great deal and pointed out some things that we thought we had considered, but were completely different in day to day use....worth every penny of the rental fee not not buy the wrong thing!

Upvote 0
Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
Also...if there isn't a compelling reason for a PVC, this si currently on the MHF classifieds...https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/classifieds/swift-suntor-millennium-590-rs.398/

Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
Also...if there isn't a compelling reason for a PVC, this si currently on the MHF classifieds...https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/classifieds/swift-suntor-millennium-590-rs.398/
I wonder why the guy is peeing up the fence in the advert photo’s tho....😂😂😂😂😂

2B8A7A35-5D92-40C9-A828-9EBDBB37B0B0.jpeg

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I wonder why the guy is peeing up the fence in the advert photo’s tho....😂😂😂😂😂

View attachment 412383
I think he's wondering what the 'hump' is under the tarpaulin and whether he should risk hitting it! 😝

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jopparocks
Oct 9, 2019
Joppa
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 Starline
Exp
I know I'm a fellow newbie, but if I may, I would like to pass on some excellent advice we received (and tried!) from this very group. If it were me, I would sit down one evening with your wife and look at some of the layouts for PVC's....see what you think is going to be right for you taking into account rainy days, sweltering nights, midnight loo dashes and everything else you feel you might come across. Then rent one, use it to take that long weekend break you mentioned in an earlier post. You get your mini-break to de-stress as well as doing some valuable research in the process. If you like the layout you tried then you have something to base your future searches on.
My partner and I just got back from hiring a 7m van for two weeks...it taught us a great deal and pointed out some things that we thought we had considered, but were completely different in day to day use....worth every penny of the rental fee not not buy the wrong thing!
Good advice and will put it to wife and see what she says.

Upvote 0

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Still not found a van then keep your chin up they are very thin on the ground at present don't panic the right one is out there.

I had an offer for mine today this is not the first time I had an offer within 2 weeks of buying it from fellow campers. And today from walkers. just seen this

Broken Link Removed

I know its a long way from you but only to give you an idea what is out there and if your have a MH you will have to get used to the travelling :smiley:

I'm with your wife on the builders van YUK (sorry)

Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Still not found a van then keep your chin up they are very thin on the ground at present don't panic the right one is out there.

I had an offer for mine today this is not the first time I had an offer within 2 weeks of buying it from fellow campers. And today from walkers. just seen this

Broken Link Removed

I know its a long way from you but only to give you an idea what is out there and if your have a MH you will have to get used to the travelling :smiley:

I'm with your wife on the builders van YUK (sorry)

This is by far the best van that’s been put in here, very well made and low mileage.

Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I know its a long way from you but only to give you an idea what is out there and if your have a MH you will have to get used to the travelling
A few funsters stay in that area jopparocks if you like it stick a post up to see if someone will have a look for you to save a wasted journey.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back