Next hurdle to cross. What are these ? (1 Viewer)

Hymerbrittany

Free Member
Aug 23, 2020
France
Funster No
MH
A class b694
Exp
Morning folks. Hymer B694.... Having sorted out the battery issue, fingers crossed of course, the next voyage of discovery are these items.

One is a fuse breaker which I'm guessing is the mains hook up on / off fuse switch and the other is a plastic tank, empty at the moment, but with quite a few wires and stuff close by. A pointer as to what to do with either of the 'bits' would be great, thank you. ❤️

Attachments

• DSC_1610.JPG
    DSC_1610.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 140
  • DSC_1611.JPG
    DSC_1611.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 140
OP
OP
Hymerbrittany

Hymerbrittany

Free Member
Aug 23, 2020
France
Funster No
MH
A class b694
Exp
Slightly better pics here...

Attachments

• DSC_1615.JPG
    DSC_1615.JPG
    151.5 KB · Views: 111
  • DSC_1614.JPG
    DSC_1614.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 111
Upvote 0
Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Picture on the right is your fuses for electric hook up.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Assume you have an zircon unit? The bottle is the reservoir, which you will need to keep topping-up when in use. Mine was 12V and worked rather well. Exhaust hot air first, then switch to cool the incoming air.

The other box seems to contain mains MCBs (but no RCD). It may be the main 'fuse box' for EHU but could be form mains auxiliaries (microwave/kettle/fridge...)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Hymerbrittany

Hymerbrittany

Free Member
Aug 23, 2020
France
Funster No
MH
A class b694
Exp
Assume you have an zircon unit? The bottle is the reservoir, which you will need to keep topping-up when in use. Mine was 12V and worked rather well. Exhaust hot air first, then switch to cool the incoming air.

The other box seems to contain mains MCBs (but no RCD). It may be the main 'fuse box' for EHU but could be form mains auxiliaries (microwave/kettle/fridge...)
No idea re Zircon unit. Haven't got around to heating or hot water yet. How would I identify a zircon unit if I saw it? The bottle in the picture is currently empty. Are you saying that this should be filled with water? Does all this work from the Truma controls? (Two switches with 40/60degrees options plus a rotary dual)

Hope you don't mind my follow up queries on this. ❤️

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
No idea re Zircon unit. Haven't got around to heating or hot water yet. How would I identify a zircon unit if I saw it? The bottle in the picture is currently empty. Are you saying that this should be filled with water? Does all this work from the Truma controls? (Two switches with 40/60degrees options plus a rotary dual)

Hope you don't mind my follow up queries on this. ❤
Sorry - I didn't notice the auto-correct for aircon.
The unit will be independent of your Truma controls.
I'd expect a fan with switches in a skylight above (not too far away).
The water will be pumped to the unit and any not used will return.
Some will evaporate, which is why you need to top it up (also keep it clean).
I'd keep it empty when not in use.
The unit is not as effective as one with a compressor but is better than nothing and may not require mains.

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
There are two possible faults that need protecting against, earth leakage and overcurrent. Overcurrent causes heat buildup and possible fire. Electric shock can be prevented by detecting leakage of current to earth.

A Miniature Circuit Breaker (MCB) protects against overcurrent, either a sudden huge current due to a short, or a slow buildup due to failure of insulation etc.

A Residual Current Device (RCD) detects any small imbalance between the outgoing and returning electric current, and if it's over 30milliamps it cuts off the supply. This limit is small enough to prevent serious shock for most healthy people.

The device you have is an MCB. The 'B10' written on it shows that it will allow 10 Amps through with no problem, but will trip if more than that. The 'B' means it is suitable for normal loads, not devices with big motors like air conditioning units, which should have the 'C' type. Note, it does not protect against electric shock.

Modern electrics have both an RCD and MCB fitted. Adding an RCD is cheap and easy, especially as Lenny HB says, there is space in the box already.

There is a third type of device, a Residual Current Breaker with Overload (RCBO), that combines the functions of an RCD and MCB, and is very suited for single circuits like this. They are becoming popular in motorhomes, caravans and hookup posts. It's a straight swap for an MCB, no extra bits of wire required. That's what is fitted in my motorhome.

These 2-pole RCBOs can be a bit difficult to find in the UK, because of the mostly single-pole MCBs in house electrics. Should be easier to find in France. Electricians' supplier CEF can supply them here in the UK. For example

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Hymerbrittany

Hymerbrittany

Free Member
Aug 23, 2020
France
Funster No
MH
A class b694
Exp
There are two possible faults that need protecting against, earth leakage and overcurrent. Overcurrent causes heat buildup and possible fire. Electric shock can be prevented by detecting leakage of current to earth.

A Miniature Circuit Breaker (MCB) protects against overcurrent, either a sudden huge current due to a short, or a slow buildup due to failure of insulation etc.

A Residual Current Device (RCD) detects any small imbalance between the outgoing and returning electric current, and if it's over 30milliamps it cuts off the supply. This limit is small enough to prevent serious shock for most healthy people.

The device you have is an MCB. The 'B10' written on it shows that it will allow 10 Amps through with no problem, but will trip if more than that. The 'B' means it is suitable for normal loads, not devices with big motors like air conditioning units, which should have the 'C' type. Note, it does not protect against electric shock.

Modern electrics have both an RCD and MCB fitted. Adding an RCD is cheap and easy, especially as Lenny HB says, there is space in the box already.

There is a third type of device, a Residual Current Breaker with Overload (RCBO), that combines the functions of an RCD and MCB, and is very suited for single circuits like this. They are becoming popular in motorhomes, caravans and hookup posts. It's a straight swap for an MCB, no extra bits of wire required. That's what is fitted in my motorhome.

These 2-pole RCBOs can be a bit difficult to find in the UK, because of the mostly single-pole MCBs in house electrics. Should be easier to find in France. Electricians' supplier CEF can supply them here in the UK. For example
You guys are brilliant. This advice is so cool. The Internet never ceases to amaze. I will get to it soon as possible. Thanks again for your help. ❤️

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Hymerbrittany

Hymerbrittany

Free Member
Aug 23, 2020
France
Funster No
MH
A class b694
Exp
Sorry - I didn't notice the auto-correct for aircon.
The unit will be independent of your Truma controls.
I'd expect a fan with switches in a skylight above (not too far away).
The water will be pumped to the unit and any not used will return.
Some will evaporate, which is why you need to top it up (also keep it clean).
I'd keep it empty when not in use.
The unit is not as effective as one with a compressor but is better than nothing and may not require mains.
Got this covered now, thank you. New product line perhaps, zircon.. 🤣. ❤️

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Hymerbrittany

Hymerbrittany

Free Member
Aug 23, 2020
France
Funster No
MH
A class b694
Exp

Have sourced a C type one, thanks for the tip. ❤️

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200921-102846.png
    Screenshot_20200921-102846.png
    184.7 KB · Views: 11
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries