Free Member
Jan 14, 2013
Wentworth, Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750 Twin axle lhd
Exp
I'm a newbie
Just found this site and it looks GOOOOOOD. Thanks to Jim for the warm welcome. It seems like a lot to take in and search through. My wife and myself have been caravanners for lots of years which we enjoyed enormously and which was particularly great while the kids were growing up and along with our various pet dogs and our current two westies took to it like it was natural to them too. We had our caravan stolen just over 3 years ago now, and the shock was so difficult to get over we said we would not 'go there again'. We had progressed from a tatty 'multiple owner' van to what we thought was our 'ultimate (21' twin axle) pride and joy' but alas no more. We are currently looking to replace our caravanning with motorhoming so could do with as much help and guidance as possible from experienced folk. I retire in about 2 years and have started looking at RV's, but can't quite feel totally convinced if this is the direction to go. European or American. Any thoughts from anyone would be most welcome. We are thinking about doing some 'full timing' and certainly extensive European Travelling, but not sure where to start the search for the vehicle.(second hand only.) I favour a long wheelbase European like a Hobby tag-axle, my wife favours the open space of an R.V. We are looking for guidance from anyone who might have experienced such a dilemma or who feel they have something to contribute. I have to add that this is my first BLOG of any kind, not ever opened Facebook or any Social Network Sites before, so communication might be slow for a while until I've gained some experience. :Eeek:

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Welcome. We were in a similar position a year and a bit ago, and found it invaluable to get into as many vans as possible to see how they felt, as it were. There is an indoor show on at the NEC in February and I'd recommend going along to check out the various sizes, layouts, designs etc that are on offer. It can feel confusing, but you gradually get an idea of what 'fits'. Which you can then use when looking for something secondhand. We struck lucky with our first van, but I know others here regard it as the first step in a learning process!

runrig

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 22, 2007
sheffield
Funster No
MH
Compass Kensington
Exp
25 years
Hi Kenny

Welcome to FUN we are from Sheffield and have gone down the path of folding camper and then into motorhomes, our first was an old Highwayman and then onwards and upwards, our current motorhome is an RV only 27 ft 4" long. There has already been a recent post asking the same questions but at the end of the day the decision is yours. Many say RVs are fuel guzzelers that is not so in some cases especially if they have been converted to run on LPG (as ours has), and considering that LPG is roughly half the price of diesel it costs us no more to run the RV than it did for our previous motorhome which was a Bessacarr 750 .
We have travelled extensively both in the uk and on the continent and can honestly say there is no where we have been unable to go.

So good luck with your search, and hope you find the perfect one for you.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
There has already been a recent post asking the same questions but at the end of the day the decision is yours.

Hi Kenny and welcome to the Fun. :welcome:

The thread Sheila is referring to is this one: Broken Link Removed

I favour a tag axle Hobby myself but only you can really decide what's best for you. :Smile:

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Welcome to fun.

Dont rush in to the first motorhome.
But remember it's never always perfect.
Make a list {1} must have {2} whould like.

Dont waver from list 1

Mel & Lieve

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
A very warm welcome from me too :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gunner29

Free Member
May 24, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Welcome.

I do not own an RV but I always look on with some trepidation when I see an RV try to get into a site and on to a pitch either in France and esp Spain. RV owners will tell you different and I bow to their experiences but there are only 2 on Javea site and they found it difficult to find a pitch due to the low posts for the summer nets.
think of your height and there are lots of M/H out there that will fit your bill:thumb:
good luck lots of experts on MHF

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Hi

Hi from Devon and best of luck on your searching, you are definitely on the right site, with a host of knowledge from both sides of the camp.
Make a list of your requirements ,go over it a few times and then make another, and another…you will always find (usually after purchase ) that there is something else you could do with so don’t rush and enjoy your travels :welcome:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back