New Zealand (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Nov 28, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We are wanting to go to New Zealand and rent a Motorhome with self contained loo, etc.
Has anybody on here done it? It would be great to get some hints, tips and advice.
Thank you in advance.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
There is a thread currently running on the same subject that might be worth a read.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
My son and DIL hired a m/h for 2 months in 2019 and had a great time. He wrote a detailed blog with routes, maps, daily distances, stopping places and general m/h and touring info. I can't find the link but I'll ask him and then post it in the thread.

They went back Jan 1st and are currently on a 3 month tour of N and S Island but using AirBnB's with a hired car (plus a tandem and an inflatable canoe!) as they are considering emigrating and want to meet locals rather than motorhoming tourists.

Jun 19, 2014
Wimborne
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral+ 670SL
Exp
No longer a newbie
One of the best experiences of my (our) life. Defies description here, just go. We took a month and toured both islands, didn't see half of it, but every day was a joy. We keep saying “Shall we go back/do it again/see the bits we missed/spend more time”.

We hired from Wilderness, whose vehicle and service was outstanding.

PM me if you need more.

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
I know it’s not what you asked but I have 2 sons who live in NZ and we have been 9 times there. It’s not cheap to hire a camper, we find that a small car with Airbnb and lodges works for us but each to their own.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
We did it in 2004 and it was the best experience ever, we hired a 6 berth for 4 people but 2 had to duck out so we had it to ourselves. Picked the van up at Auckland near the airport, spent a week on North Island before going down onto South Island and did all the tourist things including Glaciers, Shotover jet boats and Mountain flying in a Harvard 👏👏.
Many of the wineries will welcome you and there is plenty of designated wild camping spots along with formal camp grounds.
There are great maps available with sites etc so you can create a route. Just remember that our winter is their summer so sites may be busy. We did Christmas in Christchurch on South Island and seeing 25 Father Christmas’s doing a singing pub crawl in 25degrees was surreal but a great laugh.

About the weather, north island can be hot, South Island is more like UK.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
About twenty years ago we travelled around New Zealand in a hire van for three months. Used a company called Britz who were great to deal with. Done North and south islands. Exchange rate was three doliars to the pound then. Did so much in that three months and surfed my dream wave at a place called Raglan. Happy travels. (y)

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
We used Kuoni MH hire and took 6 weeks. Great trip but saved up for business class flights !
At the time our campervan was a VW size and the hired one a 4 berth with overcab. Helped us decide that small was good 🤣

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
We went back in 2012,go for as long as you can,we also went for nearly three months not knowing if we would ever be able to go back,definitely a trip of a lifetime 🙂

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Our second MH holiday was in New Zealand. Also an easy place to drive around and find campsites.
After our experience on Canada for our rental MH, we went up a size & to a different MH type. :)

We planned on three weeks to tour the north & South Island but losing a day & half to immigration issues at the US stopover & late baggage arrival in NZ meant we just spent time in the north island.
We found so much to do though.

My highlight was black water rafting at Waitomo Caves. That’ll be mrskevenh’s worst part tho 🤪

It was almost 20yr ago so don’t know what hirers think of walkaboutrentals.co.nz now but we had no issues. It was a meet and greet at Auckland airport handover.

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
Such an interesting country ,even thou now very expensive , I doubt if it will change much ? I travelled several times there . So many great connections to the U.K. .

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
One of the best experiences of my (our) life. Defies description here, just go. We took a month and toured both islands, didn't see half of it, but every day was a joy. We keep saying “Shall we go back/do it again/see the bits we missed/spend more time”.

PM me if you need more.
I would definitely agree with all of the above, we swapped our Motorhome a few times with New Zealanders and had a fantastic time and would go back in a heart beat,
join the New Zealand Motorhome club, special rates for tourists and have many sites including CL type over both islands,

Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!

PM me if you need more.
Just looked at their website; for Oct & Nov in a 2 berth MH is £13k! Wow! Factor in flights, pitch fees, fuel and food that‘s an expensive holiday.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Deep in research on NZ with a possibility we may go towards the end of the year (HRH won't confirm).
If you get the chance go to Wanaka airfield on South Island and book yourself onto a single engined flight to Milford Sound rather than drive to the sound. The flight takes you over and through a fantastic mountain range and to descent into the sound is amazing.

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Just looked at their website; for Oct & Nov in a 2 berth MH is £13k! Wow! Factor in flights, pitch fees, fuel and food that‘s an expensive holiday.

For a trip of a lifetime,which ours was,it was worth every penny,plenty of free stops and DOC sites or you can buy a pass for some of the campsite chains should you want to👍

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
We used New Zealand Campervan Hire on our trip. Based in Nelson, South Island.
They tend to buy ex-rental vans from the big boys (Kea in our case) and rent at competitive rates. Not the fanciest and most modern vans, but perfectly good. We had a problem with a battery which they sorted very quickly and effectively.

I don’t know what Christchurch is like these days, but it was utterly devastated following an earthquake when we visited in 2011.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
If you get the chance go to Wanaka airfield on South Island and book yourself onto a single engined flight to Milford Sound rather than drive to the sound. The flight takes you over and through a fantastic mountain range and to descent into the sound is amazing.
Done a few of the sounds including the Milford on a cruise ship. Like to see the area from road level.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Did the final account on our recent Aussie and Mid East trip. Emirates Business Class. 5* hotels when needed. 6 Berth MH for i think 7 weeks. ++++. Have you ever seen a grown man cry.

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
If that’s your thing, a seaplane trip over the Marlborough Sound at Picton is also recommended

86CD0FAE-AE78-41DF-B471-606047E900EF.jpeg

May 29, 2015
Worthing,West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Fairford PVC
Exp
Since 2002
Think Eeoodares will find that all hire vans are self contained. First went to NZ in 1995, my wife wanted to go to Oz, I said poisonous spiders, snakes crocs, Aussies etc, why go there? How about NZ? We did go to Oz as daughter and later son in law were there for a year. Went to see them and they followed us to NZ. By day2, they remarked how much more friendly the Kiwis were than the Aussies. Spent 4 weeks there and thought it was a great place with great people. Cut long story short, our son and wife emigrated there 20 years ago and we try to visit every couple of years ( Covid permited). Hired vans there, used Maui. Friends have hired car and done b&b, enjoyed and met locals take your pick
Go do it! If people ask you “Where’s tha bin? “ they will be envious!

Dec 7, 2017
Sherwood Forest, Notts
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017. Before had caravan, folding camper and various tents.
We used Widerness motorhome. Excellent professional company. Great country.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
We went in 2016 after being advised to go to NZ by those on this forum.

Spent 4 weeks in the North first then 5 weeks in the South.

We went cheap on hiring an older Moho that allowed us to use many of their unpaved roads that we wouldn’t of been allowed on with a “posh” Moho.

Definitely hire a self contained Moho to allow wild camping.

Definitely join NZMCA they have lots of CL’s and places to stay.
Big discount on the ferry price as well if you’re doing both islands.

Went in March so slightly cheaper hire and less likely to have an Asian driver on your side of the road 😳

I made sure we kept the ocean on our left as you will keep stopping for pictures 😊
We circled the Islands then cross crossed for the inner areas.

Didn’t bother with a plan just went with the flow.

YOLO if you have the money just go for it. Given the chance I’d go back tomorrow and do it all again.

Enjoy 👍😊

Sep 10, 2020
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autograph 69-2
Exp
Moved over to the Dark Side after 16 yrs tugging.
Deep in research on NZ with a possibility we may go towards the end of the year (HRH won't confirm).
November and early December are good, but remember that the (summer) school hols start in Dec and Jan. Flights back on Christmas Eve / Day are generally cheaper.

Sep 29, 2023
Funster No
MH
Don´t own one yet
We are wanting to go to New Zealand and rent a Motorhome with self contained loo, etc.
Has anybody on here done it? It would be great to get some hints, tips and advice.
Thank you in advance.
Absolutely, traveling around New Zealand in a motorhome is one of the best ways to experience the country's stunning landscapes and hidden gems. I've done it myself, and it was an unforgettable journey!

Firstly, when it comes to renting a motorhome, I had a positive experience with Campervan New Zealand. They offer a range of motorhomes, including those with self-contained facilities. It was super convenient, especially when freedom camping in more remote areas.

Here are some hints, tips, and advice based on my experience:

Freedom Camping: New Zealand is quite friendly towards freedom camping, especially if you have a self-contained vehicle. However, always check local regulations as some areas have restrictions.
Plan Your Route: While it's tempting to roam freely, having a rough plan helps ensure you don't miss out on key attractions and can find suitable camping spots for the night.
Stay Connected: While most of the country is well-covered by mobile networks, some remote areas might have weak signals. Consider getting a local SIM card or a portable Wi-Fi device.
Be Prepared: The weather in New Zealand can be unpredictable. Pack for all conditions, and always have some warm clothing and rain gear.
Book in Advance: If you're traveling during peak seasons (like summer or school holidays), consider booking popular campgrounds in advance as they can fill up quickly.
I hope this helps, and I'm sure you'll have an amazing time exploring New Zealand in a motorhome. Safe travels!

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
That’s where we caught the MH bug, hired a van on the South Island and immediately bought our own on return to the UK. Has the perfect balance of low population and fantastic wild places to visit. Not paradise though, those sand flies are as much a nuisance as any midges you’ll experience in Scotland!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back