New van, Ceramic Coating or trusty Colinite 476? (1 Viewer)

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
My existing NiBi Flair is painted, with a glass like clear coat on top. 476 has enabled me to maintain a stunning deep shine.
My new Morelo comes in any colour you like as long as it's white. I am not too concerned about the coated aluminium side panels as they will benifit from 476 but I am focused on the white gelcoat front, rear and wheel arch panels. Especially the black gelcoat insets on these panels.
I am conscious of UV yellowing which I have seen on many vans which quickly starts to differentiate the GRP panels from the aluminium. I have read about a Ceramic Coating which is offered by a German company which is only 30 miles from my German dealer Gluck. This is their web site https://www.keramik-versiegelung.de/
I have read mixed reviews suggesting these sort of coatings will need redoing in 3-5 years and deteriorate during that period and consider that ordinary waxing is more suitable.
So I would be interested in informed opinions and also should I take a couple of tins of 476 to Germany and at handover comandeer a shed and coat her before we leave.
So @Charlie what's your advice, if I may?

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
Personally for me a good quality boat wax all over. Not convinced myself on ceramic coating especially on gel coat which will surely flex slightly? I’m no expert and haven’t tried them but a wax can easily be removed or topped up as required. Fusso may be a happy medium?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I’m going to start by repeating myself.....

These wonder coatings are utter rubbish. They help the salesmen send thier kids to private schools but that’s it.

What is best is dead simple easy basic and still nice and cheap.... IE A good quality long lasting high durability wax....

Let me assure you I have at least twenty varieties of wax in my collection but none will suit application to a Motorhome better than Collinite 476S.

There is a thread in the Detailing section explaining the best way to apply. Have a read. Follow them and it’s a breeze to apply..

OP
OP
sallylillian

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I’m going to start by repeating myself.....

These wonder coatings are utter rubbish. They help the salesmen send thier kids to private schools but that’s it.

What is best is dead simple easy basic and still nice and cheap.... IE A good quality long lasting high durability wax....

Let me assure you I have at least twenty varieties of wax in my collection but none will suit application to a Motorhome better than Collinite 476S.

There is a thread in the Detailing section explaining the best way to apply. Have a read. Follow them and it’s a breeze to apply..
Thanks Charlie I have been a convert of yours and a disciple of 476 since and have followed your advice like a religion.:)

ebo

Nov 9, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class Carado i449
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks Charlie I have been a convert of yours and a disciple of 476 since and have followed your advice like a religion.:)
Me too, thanks Charlie

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Just been reading the excellent reviews of collinite 746 on amazon, one person says "keep it off black plastic or it will leave white marks" :unsure:
And for that reason I'm out :cool:

I use Harly wax (carnauba/bees wax) and even on embossed black plastic it doesn't go white, in fact you can polish anything with it and it also lasts weeks without claying.
Tin hat now in position :ROFLMAO:

PS wow I thought collinite reviews were good :eek:

Screenshot_20181003-101839.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
sallylillian

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Just been reading the excellent reviews of collinite 746 on amazon, one person says "keep it off black plastic or it will leave white marks" :unsure:
And for that reason I'm out :cool:

I use Harly wax (carnauba/bees wax) and even on embossed black plastic it doesn't go white, in fact you can polish anything with it and it also lasts weeks without claying.
Tin hat now in position :ROFLMAO:

PS wow I thought collinite reviews were good :eek:

View attachment 259410
Who makes plastic vans?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Who makes plastic vans?
All joking aside Michael, I think you were anyway;) the early Carbon optic graphics on Morelo were a bugger if you got wax on them as it didn't come off again and the white stayed in the grain, I am told the later ones are OK(y)

Martin

OP
OP
sallylillian

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
All joking aside Michael, I think you were anyway;) the early Carbon optic graphics on Morelo were a bugger if you got wax on them as it didn't come off again and the white stayed in the grain, I am told the later ones are OK(y)

Martin
Well Martin we cancelled them 2 weeks ago, E1500 for a piece of Fablon! And Chris, Stewart and Peter all having concerns, then seeing one without the Graphics we were sold. Looks quite classy without in fact. I wax my NiBi vinyl and it keeps it looking quite smart, but the carbon graphics are textured so a problem I suspect.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Well Martin we cancelled them 2 weeks ago, E1500 for a piece of Fablon! And Chris, Stewart and Peter all having concerns, then seeing one without the Graphics we were sold. Looks quite classy without in fact. I wax my NiBi vinyl and it keeps it looking quite smart, but the carbon graphics are textured so a problem I suspect.
Hi Michael

Good move I think, I can't say I am a fan of the Palace/Empire graphics and certainly not at that price:LOL: on the originals it was certainly the texture causing problems.

Martin

Apr 2, 2018
Funster No
We also use collinite 476 and very pleased with it ,thank you Charlie.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back