New tyres.... Replacing metal valve stems? (1 Viewer)

nidge

Free Member
Oct 30, 2010
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Hi,
Just got some prices for new tyres on my Autotrail Apache 700. When I enquired about the metal valve stems been renewed most company's say the old ones (6 yrs old) should be fine. Anybody any views on this or should I go for new ones anyway.

Thanks
Nidge

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The valves will be fine.....but the rubber seals between valve body and wheel rim could be perished.
Worth removing the valve and checking.

Bartyfixedit

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 11, 2014
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Self Build Ducato L4H3
Exp
Since 1987
I should have added that you need to view the fitting instructions online. They are dead easy to fit if you know how.
These are high quality German made valves made for high pressure use. They are neat and clean looking too. Much cheaper than the UK offerings too.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
We recently had a tyre go down, in storage thankfully, where the wheel/valve are in contact.
Had the valve removed and cleaned up.

Personally I would have all the valves out and checked/cleaned up. Lot less hassle in the long run :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
I didnt realise that the metal valves depend on a very small o ring on the inside of the rim. There's a fair chance that this will leak at some time and at the very least I think the valves should come off the rim to look at the mating surfaces. After all they replace the rubber valves as a matter of course when they change tyres. I dont seem to think they were particularly expensive
Mike

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back