Co2 values on V5 (1 Viewer)

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Has anyone any info on this Link here, I know older motorhomes don't have the Co2 on the V5 but will new ones?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
They shouldn't unless the dealer cocks up! AFAIK the only exception would be the ones that are bought as vans, registered as such and then converted later ...

Its certainly worth making sure if you are buying a new one that the dealer does NOT put the figures on even if they have them. If buying a used one check the V5C yourself to be sure.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I hope we won't have the CO2 figure on the V5. Bad idea.

Don't give HM Treasury any silly ideas about sticking higher VEDs on us! We all want MHs to carry on using current loopholes.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Has anyone any info on this Link here, I know older motorhomes don't have the Co2 on the V5 but will new ones?
The first thing I would do is ask what the term "Facts sourced from NCC official documentation." means as I can't find anything on the NCC site about it.

I've done a bit more digging and this may be why they are 'scaring' people to buy now ...

When does the new Worldwide Harmonised Light Vehicle Test Procedure come into force?
The WLTP will apply to all new car registrations from September 2018.​
However, EU measures for end-of-series cars allow for a limited number of unsold vehicles in stock that were approved under the old NEDC test to be sold the following year, that is until September 2019.

So they are trying to 'off-load' their old stock just in case they get penalised ... might be a way to get some good discounts off in-stock new MHs ...

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Must say, the content on that link from Spinney Motorhomes is news to me!! :unsure:

My understanding was that motorhome converters had exemption from providing CO2 figures, because the converters are not equipped to test the finished vehicle. The figures from the base manufacturer ie Fiat, Ford, Mercedes, Renault etc will not be applicable because the subsequent conversions will have altered the characteristics and weights.

The only company I was aware of where this might not apply is VW and the California campervan, because VW is responsible for the end-to-end construction and manufacture of the vehicle, and therefore the CO2 figure is declared on the V5 and and thus they are liable for all the extra taxation.

If the facts really are as Spinney has suggested, then that is a VERY big and significant change! :(

So, over 6 years, an extra £3,190 tax !!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
An interesting article that confirms my concerns that there are changes creeping up on us. I have been worrying that our new motorhome would not arrive in time to be registered before 01/09/2019 and it will be Euro 6c not Euro 6d. Fortunately we heard yesterday that it had been finished and is now awaiting transport to the UK dealer and will be in time for the deadline.

I got this reply from the DVLA, though it didn’t really answer the question I had asked:
“It may help if I explain that a motor-home with a Euro Status 6C can be registered providing evidence of the correct Euro Status is provided to the DVLA when the vehicle is registered.”

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Anyone who's in the market for a new MH feel like getting in touch with Spinney and asking for a copy of NCC info they refer to?

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I am just beginning to wonder if Spinney have mixed up the new Euro 6d testing procedure, which I think does change on 01/09/2019 with VED, which usually changes from 01/04 each year. We don’t usually get VED changes part way through the financial year.

On a second reading of the article I see a few issues that make me wonder how well written/informed it is. The article refers to regulations issued by the European Parliament but I am not sure the European Parliament issues regulations, I think these usually come from the European Commission. There is a claim that Euro 6d has lower CO2 emissions than 6b but I thought 6d only introduced new test procedures, not new CO2 levels. No mention of how the current Euro 6c fits in. A couple of typo/grammatical errors such as CO2 being written wrongly as Co2, Co is Cobalt not Carbon and Oxygen.

None of this necessarily means the article is wrong but it does make me suspicious that it might be. Also I am surprised that such significant changes would go unnoticed by other sources.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I've just come in from hacking the garden again and seeing as no-one else has apparently contacted the NCC about this I've just written to them about it ... will be interesting to see what they say!

mgnbuk

Free Member
Jul 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 610
Exp
10 years in August
Not a member here, but this change to taxation of Euro 6d vans indicated by Spinney is what I was told a couple of weeks ago by another dealer in the NW. The NCC is apparently asking MH dealers to lobby their MPs & are in talks with the relevant authorities to try & get this changed. IIRC the comment was that this was an oversight on the part of Customs & Excise that will require Govenment action to change & the current pre-occupation with the "B" word means a lack of parliamentary time (or maybe will ?) in the near future to make any changes.

A further complication for Euro 6d vans is, apparently. the lack of homologation - I was told that there are only 2 testing houses that can carry out the homologation testing & they won't start testing until September. That means a big backlog of vans that will not have a Certificate of Conformity until they can be tested, so cannot be registered. The dealer concerned said he didn't expect to be delivering a Euro 6d van to a customer until December at the earliest - he would have vans on the forecourt, could sell those vans, but couldn't register & deliver them until the CoCs arrived.

WRT to any Euro 6b vans still on forecourts - they have an exception that allows them to be registered up to the end of August 2020. Any still unsold approaching that point would have to be pre-registered before 1st September 2020.

Add in to that price hikes of around £2k for the Euro 6d vans & many manufacturers choosing to supply the "standard" engine as the 120hp in place of the outgoing 130 (and not the 140 hp as the trade were expecting - upgrading to the 140 will add around another £1k), the new 9 speed auto adding around £4k (a lot more than the ComfortMatic + only available on 140hp and up, so add in the cost of an engine upgrade to go auto for many) and 2020 model year vans are looking a lot pricier all round than the current 6b + ComfortMatic versions.

Nigel B

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back