New Motorhome - Must Haves and Must Nots (1 Viewer)

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
OK - all you experienced Funsters, new MH goes into build next month so this is our last chance to amend the spec.

It's intended for use throughout the year, UK and Europe, only the two of us and our priorities were space and comfort above ability to access all areas. We want to be self sufficient rather than relying on sites for hook up.

It's 8.5 metres tag axle with updated chassis/weight

We have within our spec
Solar
Inverter
Dual higher capacity batteries
Alde heating
Separate shower and wc
Drop down beds above cab with option of converting lounge to additional large double (hopefully never used - or is that just greedy)

What are we missing?

What is in there that is an overspend and may not be value?

Fully accepting everyone is different but all views appreciated before the stable door closes for the last time!

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Windscreen wipers.

I have tried to do without them but believe me if you are driving along and there is a heavy downpour they are a Godsend.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Windscreen wipers.

I have tried to do without them but believe me if you are driving along and there is a heavy downpour they are a Godsend.
back in 2004 i bought a brand new swift, first weekend away, the wipers fell off going up the road as they never got fitted properly or checked by Marquis on the PDI

OP
OP
Bustup15

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
You're all filling me with hope (not)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Im guessing here but what you are buying is going to be expensive any way. Dictate what you want to have and not what they say you should have. Quality is second to none in my opinion. You can have all the fancy gadgets you require but if you buy lower quality stuff...you will have it come back on you hard later on! Pay once and once only for the correct items. The market is array with electronic gizmo's that can do anything. I personally would rather see all the screws in the correct way and all the parts fitted by someone who actually cares about their work, than to have a blue ray player or bluetooth or surround sound , apps for this that and "tuther'.
You want to sit on site and admire what you have spent your lifetimes earnings on and enjoy it.
I was always told "Why spoil the ship for an haporth of tar"..I adhere to that way of thinking now. If I cannot afford it...I wait until I can buy what is needed and not what is available.
Sorry i don't give any names and or links to anything. I honestly believe in what I see as being the best and not what most people think is best.

Kev

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
You want above all else, build quality, wood free construction and excellent insulation throughout. All the other stuff mentioned can be added later, those can't.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
You don’t say what make of Motorhome your getting..? That could change the outcome of the mods...?

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
To access all areas you probably need to decide on FWD - RWD or a bit more to additional wheels - save getting bogged down somewhere

OP
OP
Bustup15

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
You don’t say what make of Motorhome your getting..? That could change the outcome of the mods...?
It's a Dethleffs

No one brave enough to admit they ordered something in error or that was never used? Although with the amount of sarcastic replies this would no doubt generate I'm sure everything I've ordered will be absolutely correct when it arrives :eek::eek:

Nosmo King

Free Member
Jul 17, 2018
Funster No
What are the insulation standards? Do you need a winter pack? Bike rack? Tow bar? Awning? Full tanks of fuel / gas. Hab checks included.

Extended warranty?

If you’ve not sealed the deal yet these could be negotiable.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I would make sure that the Alde heating has the engine heat exchanger as it is not always standard with Alde.

Turbo vent electric type fan in the kitchen?

I am not sure that a satellite dish is that important in this age of "cellular data".

Other than those two it's difficult without know what is on the options list.

Martin

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I would definitely have at least front air on my list, a tag rear tends to push the front down more and the A class Dethleffs are fairly low at the front already.

If off grid is a biggie, have you thought about an efoy or genny?

Jon

GerTee

LIFE MEMBER
May 9, 2016
Near Fareham
Funster No
MH
Burstner iXeo
Exp
Since 2016 - UK & Europe
Get 2 x Gaslow tanks, we wouldn't be without them ,oh and an external BBQ point

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
If you want the best ride quality and road safety and handling, then full air suspension (not rear air assist). Its expensive but transforms handling and ride comfort.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I think you are already looking at something too big to acess all areas (nc 500 etc)

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
If you want the best ride quality and road safety and handling, then full air suspension (not rear air assist). Its expensive but transforms handling and ride comfort.
Don’t need it on the tag Alko as they are probably the best handling Motorhome as standard unlike many others .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back