New motorhome - DVLA registration still not done ... help! (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
According to your DVLA lady that means that every new vehicle is leaving the dealer illegally if driven on the highway
Yes I know, it doesn't make sense does it ...

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
April this year .
New car pre registration a week before it was in the country .
Pdi check and on the road to me.
All paperwork in order .
Nearly a fortnight before it showed on the DVLA system.
By then had done near on 3000 miles through plenty of anpr cameras .
No pulls by plod or postcards from same .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Is it worth the risk if you get stopped will you think I wished I had picked mum up in the car sod the housework. If there are any consequences it has been your choice. Me I would go getter ?? Enjoy your new toy.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Just to let you know that hubby had a go at twiddling the nuts and couldn't budge them. :giggle:
That was the same on ours, it is just a safety advisory but having a wheel come loose on another vehicle I get a bit nervous when wheels are taken off or tyres changed.

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
I’m sure you have nothing to worry about if your wheel nuts are “can’t budge” tight, but you can over tighten them, which is not good. There is a correct setting. For my steel wheels it is 160Nm (118 lb.ft). I think you have allows so it will be different. If they are two tight it can cause stress cracking on the wheel studs or on the wheel rims, especially if alloy. A torque wrench is not expensive.

this table gives a variety of torques

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I would have thought that because it has a registration number then all would be in order.

My thoughts exactly. If a Number has been allocated, then the fact that the Swansea Home for the Mentally Deficient, has failed in their duty, (Again), Should not restrict your freedom to use the vehicle. Just make sure you have and keep any other paperwork. Write to Them and ask where it is and keep copy. To show any nosey copper.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just to clarify something, whilst we DO have a registration number this is one that is allocated 'en masse' to a dealer to use, I'm not sure how many they are given at a time but we've found this is always the case and we then get to choose one for our vehicle, so although we have a number it doesn't mean that DVLA have actually registered it to our vehicle.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Oh, forgot to say ... we decided to 'risk it' and use the MH and ...

... we survived! :giggle:

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
When we bought our new UK motorhome, I arranged the insurance beforehand based on the VIN number, as we did not know the reg. number at that point, then phoned the insurers from the dealer on collection day to tell them the reg. number. The dealer provided a print-out of the online road fund tax payment. The V5 turned up in the post about a week later.

I think these days the dealer has a legal obligation to ensure the vehicle is taxed and insured before they release it, but I could be wrong.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Oh, nearly forgot, after our trip to the market whilst I was putting something in the MH garage, a couple of chaps on bikes pedalled by and one shouted "That's a lovely motorhome love", both had big grins on their faces - I bet they hadn't seen one like ours before! :giggle:

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Mel
Use it and enjoy it
Dont forget DVLA live in their own rarified arrogant world of self belief and quite honestly forgotten that they work for US and not the other way round
Dealer will have a copy of their registration form sent to DVLA....ask for a copy any cannot see why that would be reasonably refused
You also have a receipt

Show to a policeman if you get stopped

You would absolutely win any case presented before any judicial, but it would NEVER get that far
Go enjoy

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Can I point out to all Funsters that;
Unless things have changed since 2001 (That's a long time ago but I doubt anything has changed)

ALL taxation matters are dealt with by DVLA. The Police are merely reporters to Swansea.
Should you be stopped by the Police and the only perceived infractions of Law are Taxation 'offences' then the Police will report what they have discovered to Blodwyn, (other names are available) in Swansea.

Nothing will happen because, in circs such as the OP has highlighted, they would be laughed out of Court for their own ineptitude.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
In August we had to spend a night on the dealers premises because the registration had not come through. I was nervously checking the DVLA site and it popped up as registered at about 09.30 the day after we completed the purchase. I believe they update the site twice a day and post out the V5 after the registration takes effect. It took a couple of days more than 2 weeks. The system for mass produced vehicles such as cars is different and most new car dealers have access to an online system so that they can register the vehicle at the time of sale. A very different and much quicker procedure which unfortunately does not apply to imported motorhomes, not sure about UK built ones.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Update ... we still have NOT received our V5C, our dealer tells us the paperwork has been sent to the DVLA (as required to support the on-line registration for a foreign made MH) and to contact DVLA, DVLA say contact dealer! Its stupid! Hubby's gonna ring the DVLA again tomorrow and see what we need to do to get a V5C.

So we have no V5C, no CoC ... not happy especially as we won't risk going away abroad without one as we have no way to show it's registered in the UK because at present it isn't! It also means we can't show it's been taxed either.

Banned
Sep 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
10yrs plus
Update ... we still have NOT received our V5C, our dealer tells us the paperwork has been sent to the DVLA (as required to support the on-line registration for a foreign made MH) and to contact DVLA, DVLA say contact dealer! Its stupid! Hubby's gonna ring the DVLA again tomorrow and see what we need to do to get a V5C.

So we have no V5C, no CoC ... not happy especially as we won't risk going away abroad without one as we have no way to show it's registered in the UK because at present it isn't! It also means we can't show it's been taxed either.
I got email same day I bought it from the DVLA confirming registration which was last Wednesday and came home to the new V5C on Monday, couldn't believe it!

Now sent off to the DVLA for the update so will see if that comes back correctly amended.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Is it showing online as registered?

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I would bet the tax start date will back at the first, when mine was done it was the 26th of
May and they charged me for three days tax, but with the new supertax rate it will be back at the start. cannot pass the chance of a bit more money.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Is it showing online as registered?
Nope. We don't know who is 'at fault' so are starting to grunt (ie 'piggy in the middle'!) ?

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I would say the dealer is responsible. I don't think he should have allowed you to drive off before it was showing online, ours didn’t. I would be asking when they sent the documents off, what are the dates on the proof of posting and delivery and has the payment gone through. If the deal included the first registration costs then they have charged you for something you have not received and should be sorting it out. However no harm in keeping in touch with the DVLA as well.

When our registration had not come through in time for the handover the dealer got on to the DVLA to find out what receiving dates they were processing. They were working on about 16 or 17 days previous at that time. I was told they do batch updates to the online system each morning and at about lunchtime so probably worth checking at least twice a day.

What a pain, hope it comes right for you tomorrow. The V5 arrived sometime later but I wasn’t at home to check the exact date but I think it is supposed to go in the post very soon after registration.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Re: C of C.
I'm not certain how it works with dealers and imports as I've always self imported.
With a self import you have to send the C of C to the VCA to get a IVA before you can register takes 7-10 days.
If the steering wheels on the wrong side :ROFLMAO: i.e. RHD the C of C goes to DVLA, either way you may not get the C of C until its registered.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Tim is pretty sure that we had the V5C before the van ... we did leave it a sealers for couple of weeks to have bits and pieces fixed before we were happy to pay and take it which could be why.
Is it legal to make up plates without a V5C?

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Years ago you just put tax in post in the window, ? just do the same for the V5 Mel . ?
I don't think we have ever looked on line to see if its registered, just got in and drove it. ? Bob.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Nope. We don't know who is 'at fault' so are starting to grunt (ie 'piggy in the middle'!) ?
Another thing to think about is when did the dealer ask for your insurance and driving license details. They can not submit the registration application until they have received them which needs to be 2 or 3 weeks before handover. The DVLA say 6 weeks (they are probably just covering their backsides) but Chelston told me 2 weeks was what they worked on.

Banned
Sep 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
10yrs plus
Another thing to think about is when did the dealer ask for your insurance and driving license details. They can not submit the registration application until they have received them which needs to be 2 or 3 weeks before handover. The DVLA say 6 weeks (they are probably just covering their backsides) but Chelston told me 2 weeks was what they worked on.
I’m afraid that is not correct, mine was all done on the day of handover, I got an email confirmation from the DVLA within 2hrs, that was last Wed and the new V5C arrived this Mon ?

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
We weren't asked for our driving licence or insurance, can't ever recall having been asked in the past either.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Good news! He is now registered on the DVLA site so we should be getting our V5C etc shortly ... well, we can hope!

We are two steps forward ... but one step back ... the on-line info shows its been registered at a revenue weight of 3700kg and not 3850kg which is what we asked for and which is stated on the sales sheet. We'll see what the actual V5C says in the MAM bit (assuming it's completed of course) and if it's wrong or missing we'll give the dealer a kick up the bum to get it sorted - if it costs them so be it as 3700kg is NOT gonna be enough.

We've had some 'issues' which we're working through at the moment so will add this to the list, once it's all sorted out I'll give full info of what's been going on ... we LOVE the Carthago though! ?

Last edited:

StephDeLux

Free Member
May 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
ML-T 560 built
Exp
Since 2010
Government sucks at everything.

Join us or log in to post a reply.