New motorhome - DVLA registration still not done ... help! (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The Alko plate clearly states 3850kg (1850kg front, 2000kg rear) so the vehicle is capable of 3850kg however hubby has just spoken to the dealer and was told it can ONLY be registered at 3500kg or 3700kg as that's the only 2 options that Carthago will issue a COC for! Madness.

As I know more about 'weights' etc hubby passed the phone to me and in no uncertain terms they know that we need 3850kg and that we aren't gonna pay for it to be changed as we have it stated on the sales form that they will register it at that weight. Consequently they're gonna have to get the uprating paperwork done via SVTech and then we'll submit it to the DVLA to make it official.

What's stupid is that a simple phone call to us about the COC 'limit' of 3700kg could have saved time, confusion and hassle.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Why assume it is the Governments fault? My suspicion falls on the dealer, did they submit the correct details to the DVLA 2 or 3 weeks before handover?
We saw it at the Lincoln show where we did the sales agreement, paid the deposit over the phone the following day, and 2 weeks later collected it and it was registered that day (7th October). We weren't asked for any info (driving licence etc) when we did the sales form or when we collected it (as mentioned earlier), so not sure what details you believe they have to have so far in advance anyway.

It may be down to when the paperwork was sent to the DVLA to support the online registration, or more than likely, due to the DVLA's usual 'snail speed' processing ... we must have got a very, very slow 'snail' or it's been having a tour of the DVLA offices before being done as it should have been here at least a week ago.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Is it legal to make up plates without a V5C?
No, well not quite once it's on the DVLA system they send you a form that allows you to get plates made, the V5 follows later.
However plenty of suppliers on eBay that supply without documentation that's how I get mine as I know the reg as I'm transferring my personal plate.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The Alko plate clearly states 3850kg (1850kg front, 2000kg rear) so the vehicle is capable of 3850kg however hubby has just spoken to the dealer and was told it can ONLY be registered at 3500kg or 3700kg as that's the only 2 options that Carthago will issue a COC for! Madness.

As I know more about 'weights' etc hubby passed the phone to me and in no uncertain terms they know that we need 3850kg and that we aren't gonna pay for it to be changed as we have it stated on the sales form that they will register it at that weight. Consequently they're gonna have to get the uprating paperwork done via SVTech and then we'll submit it to the DVLA to make it official.

What's stupid is that a simple phone call to us about the COC 'limit' of 3700kg could have saved time, confusion and hassle.
Sounds like a typical dealer, keep quiet about it, hope the customer will accept it, as going up to 3850 will cost us money. Another case of sod the customer our profits come first.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
We saw it at the Lincoln show where we did the sales agreement, paid the deposit over the phone the following day, and 2 weeks later collected it and it was registered that day (7th October). We weren't asked for any info (driving licence etc) when we did the sales form or when we collected it (as mentioned earlier), so not sure what details you believe they have to have so far in advance anyway.

It may be down to when the paperwork was sent to the DVLA to support the online registration, or more than likely, due to the DVLA's usual 'snail speed' processing ... we must have got a very, very slow 'snail' or it's been having a tour of the DVLA offices before being done as it should have been here at least a week ago.
I am surprised it has taken over 3 weeks for the registration to come through. However my understanding is that online registration is not available for newly imported vehicles and it usually takes 2 weeks from receipt of the posted application for it to get to the top of the pile. We were told by Chelston that we should not drive off their premises before the registration was showing online. We got exactly the same advice from Premier 4 years ago.

The bit about Carthago weights is odd too. This is what the price list says “Increased load from 3,500 kg to 3,850 kg (model 138: 3,700kg)” but why then plate it at 3,850kg.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Sounds like a typical dealer, keep quiet about it, hope the customer will accept it, as going up to 3850 will cost us money. Another case of sod the customer our profits come first.
I shall refrain from giving MORE info about our 'buying experience' until our MH is sorted ... :whistle:

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I’m afraid that is not correct, mine was all done on the day of handover, I got an email confirmation from the DVLA within 2hrs, that was last Wed and the new V5C arrived this Mon ?
I think your motorhome was put together in the UK. The procedure for newly imported motorhomes is different.

Reactions: 596
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
We had to provide dealer with copy of Driving licence for DVLA V5C plus utility bill ... can’t remember what that was for. Almost everything is online now ... had to use milkman!

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
Luckily ive only just read this thread or i would have been acussed of spreading doom and gloom. March 2018 i was due to pick up my new rapido in kings lynn.
Dealer had applied for v5 15 days before pick up. Went through hand over still checking with dvla. Took it home on trade plates. Dealer latter had them picked up.
2 days later letter from dvla with reams of doccumentation from dealer and rapido, a letter stating insufficient info to show it was new at importation. Yes i had number plates insurance and a letter saying it was not registered. All doccumentation copied and returned to dealer to start again with new confirmation from rapido ( the original looked same as new except for confirmation date. 3 weeks checking web site 2ce a day. Alelughia. Now can use it, 2 more weeks for v5.
Uplated earlier this year only 4 months after theyd got all the info.
Dont have my luck

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back