New member, old camper (me and the van!) (1 Viewer)

Frankiej

Free Member
Aug 24, 2017
New Forest
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
26 years
Hi everyone, have been lurking for a few weeks, reading a lot, so thought I should sign up!
Have just written an inordinately long post about my history of campervans/motorhomes but decided it was too much to put as a first post, didn't want to bore you all before I've even started..
So, my current van is a 2000 autosleeper Symbol and my latest trip has been four weeks in Ireland, a mixture of wild camping and campsites, what a lovely place to visit, would highly recommend. Have done a few festivals (small and bijou) and generally just love getting out in the van.
Still quite a long post, sorry, will continue later if anyone is interested in my plans for the next few years!

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Hi.gif
and a warm welcome from us.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Frankiej

Just give it to us in small doses a some have quite limited attention span:LOL: well me anyway.

And :pink:

Martin

OP
OP
Frankiej

Frankiej

Free Member
Aug 24, 2017
New Forest
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
26 years
Hi ....from another Frankie! Quite funny as partner on here is known as JJ and you happened to put one J ...

Anyway , welcome from me too from this part of Europe which is south west France!

Amicalement
Frankie:)

Hi Frankie
I love France, one of my most favourite places. Cheese, wine, baguettes what more could one ask for?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Frankie,

I promise you won't bore us, post that campervans/motorhomes history (y) Meanwhile welcome to the fun :D

OP
OP
Frankiej

Frankiej

Free Member
Aug 24, 2017
New Forest
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
26 years
Okay, you asked for it!
Have had campervans/motorhomes for probably about 26 years, before my daughter was born. Started with a 1978 Ford, twin wheel, not sure what model it was, but it looked like a fish and chip van, beige with long sliding windows. Had great fun in that with my first (only!) husband, although most outings were accompanied by various bits falling off, breaking down or grinding to a halt. Then a ford travelhome, followed by a Glendale seven berth, I think, on an iveco chassis, then a mobilvetta, similar size, then a herald, can't remember the make. After many different vans we ended up with a Pilote A class, kept it for a year and then we separated and it had to go.
We travelled a lot over those years, Spain, France, Italy, Austria, Germany and many weekend trips over here whilst our daughter was young.
Then came separation, and I think I missed the van more than the man! So, being still on good terms, he helped me to buy a Mazda bongo which I kept for about three years and travelled alone to France and round the UK and started doing a few small festivals, something I missed out on in my youth.
Then had a year with an eriba caravan, towed by a fiat 500, now that was a sight to see...thought it would be cheaper, but really couldn't get on with it.
Autosleeper Trophy on a VW was my next van, great van, compact but with shower/toilet, essential for wild camping and festivals.
Finally my current van, autosleeper Symbol, now selling ready for the next exciting chapter of my life.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
:welcome3:
Wow, that's a fascinating collection of vans you've owned! (y)

Glad you told us all about them. Sounds like you had some serious fun in them, and also that you've got plenty more adventures ahead.

Enjoy your next MH and let us know what you are thinking of getting. :)

OP
OP
Frankiej

Frankiej

Free Member
Aug 24, 2017
New Forest
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
26 years
:D
:welcome3:
Wow, that's a fascinating collection of vans you've owned! (y)

Glad you told us all about them. Sounds like you had some serious fun in them, and also that you've got plenty more adventures ahead.

Enjoy your next MH and let us know what you are thinking of getting. :)

Well, I was looking at the hymer B544, love the huge lounge and pull down bed, but after the pilote A class we had, and my ex saying to this day he never felt comfortable driving a goldfish bowl....I sat in one and felt the same, sure I could drive it okay, just not convinced I would ever really like it.
So my current choices, bearing in mind I may be spending a lot of time, long terming in the uk, and my need for a large lounge because of that, not wanting to make beds up and wanting under 6 metres, I am a bit limited.
My three possibilities are
Chausson 510
Auto Roller 590
Burstner ixeo 586 or 585
All have a drop down bed over the lounge, and a large payload. Have seen the burstner and the auto roller in the flesh. Both of these it is possible to have the bed high or low. When high I can sit up in the lounge if my boyfriend ( :Dweird at my age, but not keen on 'partner') wants an afternoon kip! (It's his age you know...)
So if anyone has any of these vans, would be very interested in any opinions, pros and cons etc.
Thanks
Frankie

Last edited:

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
Can't help you with the van question but just want to say hello and welcome.

Dan and Jan

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 16, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Between Vans
Exp
On and off since 2000
Hello and welcome from Scotland. :WelcomeFlag:

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Hello... Sounds like you've had quite a few vans a bit like myself.... My last van was a vw trophy great compact van, picking your next one as you will know from experience depends on your personal choices and requirements your best just to go see each option in the flesh and pick the one that suits you best.
Whichever you go for I'm sure you'll enjoy

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
:hiya2:
w2f
An interesting read Frankie, thank you

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Hello and welcome......you sound like a well travelled independent fun loving kinda girl. :WelcomeFlag::WelcomeFlag:

OP
OP
Frankiej

Frankiej

Free Member
Aug 24, 2017
New Forest
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
26 years
Hello and welcome......you sound like a well travelled independent fun loving kinda girl. :WelcomeFlag::WelcomeFlag:

It's been a case of having to!
Was quite funny on holiday when someone said to my fella "you've got her well-trained" as he was sat in the van waiting for me to empty the thetford cassette!
Bless him, he did say that actually I had him well trained, as he is a complete novice and more accustomed to hotels and expense accounts!

daved2524

Free Member
Jan 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
5th wheel and a Nissan
Exp
Since April 2016
Welcome. It seems to me you need to make up your mind what you like. It's a good job you don't change your men the way you change your vans.

OP
OP
Frankiej

Frankiej

Free Member
Aug 24, 2017
New Forest
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
26 years
Welcome. It seems to me you need to make up your mind what you like. It's a good job you don't change your men the way you change your vans.

what a strange thing to say, was it a joke?
Seven or eight vans in 26 years, I'm sure that's not a record.... Changing needs with a growing child and more flexible finances...
Anyway, how do you know I don't change my men that often? :D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back