New GRP and paintwork restorer (1 Viewer)

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
I spent the day yesterday polishing the GRP on my RS and there is a lot of it. 🤦‍♂️ I used Star bright GRP marine polish, then a liberal coating of wax.

Interested in your product. How does it compare with Starbrite please?

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Given how hard it’s to clean the over cab part of the body and the way it goes dull and powdery, no one has come up with a respray deal of putting gloss car paint on it. There is probably reason like money etc.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I spent the day yesterday polishing the GRP on my RS and there is a lot of it. 🤦‍♂️ I used Star bright GRP marine polish, then a liberal coating of wax.

I have Jez's old restorer & some Starbright it's better than the Starbright, looking forward to the new one. The only one I've found better is the 3M but that is no longer imported to the UK.

Jun 12, 2017
Telford
Funster No
MH
A class Pilote
Exp
I bought one off eBay as recommended by a friend and yes it’s great. I was unaware you were a Funster 👍
Good luck with your new product

Bevlar

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 16, 2019
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Bavaria i600 A class
Exp
Since 2009
I'll be up for giving it a try jezport (y)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Santa Claus provided me with a new canister of Autoglym SRP and now you tell me it's 'black streaks in a bottle' :cry:
I have used loads of SRP over the years and think it does a great job cleaning up dirty grubby areas and especially black streaks, I have never thought that it made them worse.

I will nick some of this stuff off jongood and give it a go but I assume it needs a wax after you have finished polishing.

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I have used loads of SRP over the years and think it does a great job cleaning up dirty grubby areas and especially black streaks, I have never thought that it made them worse.

I will nick some of this stuff off jongood and give it a go but I assume it needs a wax after you have finished polishing.
SRP does get a large percentage of black streaks off but does attract dirt. I used to love it. Also the fillers that are in it to fill defects look good for around 2 days in my opinion.
Yes a good wax is always required after a polish.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
SRP does get a large percentage of black streaks off but does attract dirt. I used to love it. Also the fillers that are in it to fill defects look good for around 2 days in my opinion.
Yes a good wax is always required after a polish.
So were you waxing on top of SRP?

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
So were you waxing on top of SRP?
SRP does contain a wax, but in my opinion it is sticky. I did water beading tests with SRP on it's own and SRP with the AG surface sealer. After application both beaded the same. I would always recommend a good hard wax.
I would also recommend claying the paintwork first. My polish has clay in it so will remove surface contaminants.

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008

I've not tried starbrite, to be honest.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
SRP does contain a wax, but in my opinion it is sticky. I did water beading tests with SRP on it's own and SRP with the AG surface sealer. After application both beaded the same. I would always recommend a good hard wax.
I would also recommend claying the paintwork first. My polish has clay in it so will remove surface contaminants.
I know you keep saying SRP is sticky which to be fair is the first time I have read this so I just wondered if it was the wax you were using on top that was the problem.

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I know you keep saying SRP is sticky which to be fair is the first time I have read this so I just wondered if it was the wax you were using on top that was the problem.
No definitely the SRP.
Just polish a square of SRP below a window and watch and see.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Given how hard it’s to clean the over cab part of the body and the way it goes dull and powdery, no one has come up with a respray deal of putting gloss car paint on it. There is probably reason like money etc.

After you’ve polished it have you put a good UV wax on it

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Polish arrived today, I’ll give it a going over with the 9” buffer in the spring👍

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back