New Government online advice on travelling to the EU today (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Independent:

One day before the UK leaves the European Union, the government has revealed that British holidaymakers and business travellers to the EU face onerous changes when the transition agreement expires on 31 December.

Many aspects of travel were previously uncertain, but it appears that the government has already made up its mind that, for visitors to the remaining 27 European Union countries, it will be a hard Brexit.

For the remainder of 2020, no rules on travel will change. But once the transition ends, visitors to Europe will face much more red tape and expense than the travel industry had previously hoped.

The new online advice says the guarantee of free mobile phone roaming throughout the EU will end.

Motorists will need a "green card" - a certificate extending their travel insurance to Europe.

Allow one month to get this from your vehicle insurance company," says the government.

It was already known that UK passports will be subject to new rules on validity, which means that someone with almost 15 months to run on a British passport could be denied boarding a flight to Europe.

The government has now confirmed that British travellers will need to use "separate lanes from EU, EEA and Swiss citizens when queueing".

The Pet Passport arrangements will also be scrapped. Travellers who wish to travel with their dog or cat (or ferret) are told: "Contact your vet at least four months before you go."

A pet owner hoping to travel on New Year's Day 2021 would need to start planning on 1 August 2020.

Boris Johnson's administration has also confirmed that Northern Ireland will be treated differently from the rest of the UK in terms of duty-free purchases from the Republic.

While visitors from Great Britain will be able to take duty-free liquor and tobacco home from Ireland, those returning to Northern Ireland will not.

Other aspects of travel after Brexit remain unclear - including whether the UK will continue as part of the European Health Insurance Card scheme, and if motorists will need International Driving Permits.

UK business travellers have been told they will not enjoy any special status from 2021, which will increase bureaucracy and cost.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Independent:

One day before the UK leaves the European Union, the government has revealed that British holidaymakers and business travellers to the EU face onerous changes when the transition agreement expires on 31 December.

Many aspects of travel were previously uncertain, but it appears that the government has already made up its mind that, for visitors to the remaining 27 European Union countries, it will be a hard Brexit.

For the remainder of 2020, no rules on travel will change. But once the transition ends, visitors to Europe will face much more red tape and expense than the travel industry had previously hoped.

The new online advice says the guarantee of free mobile phone roaming throughout the EU will end.

Motorists will need a "green card" - a certificate extending their travel insurance to Europe.

Allow one month to get this from your vehicle insurance company," says the government.

It was already known that UK passports will be subject to new rules on validity, which means that someone with almost 15 months to run on a British passport could be denied boarding a flight to Europe.

The government has now confirmed that British travellers will need to use "separate lanes from EU, EEA and Swiss citizens when queueing".

The Pet Passport arrangements will also be scrapped. Travellers who wish to travel with their dog or cat (or ferret) are told: "Contact your vet at least four months before you go."

A pet owner hoping to travel on New Year's Day 2021 would need to start planning on 1 August 2020.

Boris Johnson's administration has also confirmed that Northern Ireland will be treated differently from the rest of the UK in terms of duty-free purchases from the Republic.

While visitors from Great Britain will be able to take duty-free liquor and tobacco home from Ireland, those returning to Northern Ireland will not.

Other aspects of travel after Brexit remain unclear - including whether the UK will continue as part of the European Health Insurance Card scheme, and if motorists will need International Driving Permits.

UK business travellers have been told they will not enjoy any special status from 2021, which will increase bureaucracy and cost.
This will make many Remoaners very happy,,BUSBY,,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Makingtrax
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
This will make many Remoaners very happy,,BUSBY,,
Yes, without rehashing the Brexit debate because this isn't the place, but for those of us who couldn't see one single advantage for Brexit, this is a right pain in the a***.

Still, to be positive, this will inevitably be good for the UK holiday business and campsites.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
No it sounds like a return to previous threads about travel because there is nothing new in what is being said in this article. And few folk voted for Corbyn.
Sorry I did not see Corbyn as an option on the Referendum ballot slip, did I miss something? :unsure:

OP
OP
Makingtrax
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
No it sounds like a return to previous threads about travel because there is nothing new in what is being said in this article. And few folk voted for Corbyn.
Except before it was all speculation, nobody knew what the Government was planning in a so called 'deal'. Now they've confirmed that travel arrangements will not be included in the deal . . . it will be much like no deal arrangements. That's worth knowing.

Oct 21, 2019
Marlow, Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
Begun travelling the road in our first van in 2013
Harrumph! It's hard enough now to book a decent site in the UK as it is, it's only going to get worse if we are hampered in our attempts to travel throughout Europe and everyone decides to plunder the UK campsite resources :confused:

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
As my dog is a bit of a grey area in France, Germany and Spain, going to Europe is a little difficult for us. He's 13 now, healthy and will hopefully be around for a good few years to come. I'll happily travel the UK during this time.

Hopefully, when the time comes that we can travel in Europe, it will all be sorted.

Nothing will be certain for a good while yet. No point stressing about it :cool:

tuscancouple

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2007
Could mean fewer yapping dogs on a campsite, so that's an upside! :giggle: From the .gov link above:

"Pet travel: allow at least 4 months to arrange

From 1 January 2021 you will not be able to use the existing pet passport scheme. Instead you’ll need to follow a different process, which takes 4 months.

Follow the guidance about pet travel to Europe from 1 January 2021."

Mick

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
I already have my green cards and IDP. I don't mind going through a non-EU lane at customs.

Doesn't sound too onerous to me. My guess is that destination countries who want our ££££ will obey the rules but not make them awkward.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Like many I never expected it to be any different, we are leaving so all existing arrangements fall by the wayside maybe in the fullness of time some will be renegotiated who knows.
I remember going in the 70's and you needed green cards and idp's and that didn't stop us or thousands of others so no big deal going back to that now.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
A
Harrumph! It's hard enough now to book a decent site in the UK as it is, it's only going to get worse if we are hampered in our attempts to travel throughout Europe and everyone decides to plunder the UK campsite resources :confused:
and you can guarantee they will put the prices up to rip off us some more.....?

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Except before it was all speculation, nobody knew what the Government was planning in a so called 'deal'. Now they've confirmed that travel arrangements will not be included in the deal . . . it will be much like no deal arrangements. That's worth knowing.
"This page tells you how to prepare for travel to Europe from 1 January 2021. It will be updated if anything changes"
Nothing is set in stone apart from what will happen if there is no deal. So no change from yesterday.

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Sorry I did not see Corbyn as an option on the Referendum ballot slip, did I miss something? :unsure:
You did not qualify that you were talking about anything bar the last election.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I already have my green cards and IDP. I don't mind going through a non-EU lane at customs.

Doesn't sound too onerous to me. My guess is that destination countries who want our ££££ will obey the rules but not make them awkward.

You might at immigration when a B747 has just landed from Africa or Asia and they are checking passports and visas in detail and asking purpose of visit, how much money they have etc.

Hopefully EU will add UK to the lane for EEA and Switzerland.

Geoff

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Roaming charges could be tough.
Even I doubt they will return after all most now don't charge outside the EU either. I think I am waiting to see what Boris brilliant negotiated deal is going to be but meanwhile stocking up on wine I suspect we will be back to the old limits. On the good side it should increase revenue on fags a huge proportion in the UK are supposed to be illegally smuggled from the EU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back