New Government online advice on travelling to the EU today (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

missmollie

Free Member
Jul 30, 2008
Warrington
Funster No
MH
Knaus SUN TI
Exp
since 2006
If you look at the bottom of the release it says it was last updated in October 2019. Hopefully they will sort some arrangement out in the next 10 months.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Official link is here:
Unfortunately the .Gov.UK link isn’t dated so we don’t know when that advice was published. A lot of Gov advice is now quite old and hasn’t been updated for a while.
Also, many of the points/warnings say “may”, in other words, ‘we don’t know yet’.
There is a lot to discuss with the EU in the coming months so anything/ everything may change.
That doesn’t make a good newspaper story though.
As the corporal was fond of saying, “Don’t panic, don’t panic”.

Richard.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
You might at immigration when a B747 has just landed from Africa or Asia and they are checking passports and visas in detail and asking purpose of visit, how much money they have etc.

Hopefully EU will add UK to the lane for EEA and Switzerland.

Geoff
At Dover, Newhaven or Porsmouth,,?? I don't think so.BUSBY.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I remember traveling to Europe in the 70's one time I went on the spur of the moment I bought an international driving licence from the AA at the port in Dover, caught the ferry and bought border insurance on arrival. If I had planned the trip I would have got a green card from my insurance and saved the cost of border insurance. It wasn't difficult and if it goes back to this I will cope.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
I'm quite liking a staycation!

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
used to be able to take dogs etc into europe before uk pets passport scheme started .
it was bringing them back that was the trouble.
quarantine for the dog was what you had to do.
there was a sort of visiting a vet in the countries as you crossed borders etc but it was easy.
took one of ours across and into africa then back to europe and all over europe to poland etc and cz.
unfortunately for the dog she never had to come back to uk as she died in france .
took the next one out just before the passport scheme started but she actually had papers to return so long as it would be after the scheme started.
but never mind ,if eu get stroppy we shall have to put a ban on eu products being imported to uk.
anything for a laugh. hee hee.

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
  • organise pet travel - contact your vet at least 4 months before you go
Well that doesn't tell us anything!
It tells me to arrange a call to my vet more than 4 months before I want to travel.

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Why would they do that unless we have a similar status? If we want to join that lane we will need to be in the EEA or have a Swiss style arrangement. We could have if we wanted to.
They want a close relationship with us - they say. They (and we) have an interest in helping people travel in Europe (the continent, not the EUSSR) so as close friends we should agree sensible arrangements.
What we can't allow is unfettered movement of either EU or non-EU people so some controls and checks are inevitable.
As you say, we could agree a Swiss style arrangement but I'm sure that will be on the table in this year's negotiations.

We are not doomed yet Capt Mainwaring:LOL:

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I remember going in the 70's and you needed green cards and idp's and that didn't stop us or thousands of others so no big deal going back to that now.
Me too, and I was in export sales of electronic products from the late 60's until 2002, covering geographical Europe, all of Africa, USA and the Middle East. Even previous to joining the E.U. the earth wasn't flat and exporting was never a problem so long as you followed the simple procedures. IMHO the current hype is largely scaremongering.

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
They want a close relationship with us - they say. They (and we) have an interest in helping people travel in Europe (the continent, not the EUSSR) so as close friends we should agree sensible arrangements.
What we can't allow is unfettered movement of either EU or non-EU people so some controls and checks are inevitable.
As you say, we could agree a Swiss style arrangement but I'm sure that will be on the table in this year's negotiations.

We are not doomed yet Capt Mainwaring:LOL:
But do we want a close relationship with them? Do you not think that Javid's announcement that we will pursue a policy of non-alignment indicates the opposite of a close relationship?

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
AFAIK No one knows precisely yet what will happen re pets, we have yet to negotiate the status that the EU decide to use for this issue. Am I wrong?
No that's correct. There seem to be people who confuse the original Pet Passport scheme (which continues unchanged) with the agreements alongside it that allowed our animals into other EU countries. That is what may (will) change. Requirements for re-entry to the UK are the same as they were since the PP was introduced. Rules for taking animals into France, Spain, et al will be determined by future agreements with the countries involved. When the PP scheme first started there was, for example, a need for an import certificate for Spain.

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
But do we want a close relationship with them? Do you not think that Javid's announcement that we will pursue a policy of non-alignment indicates the opposite of a close relationship?
No

Suppose I resigned from a golf club. That means I can't play golf there as a member but it does not mean that I can't still be friends with the members, go in for a drink or even play golf as their guest. I would still have a close association but would simply not be a member.

It does not have to be all or nothing. I expect we will agree loads of stuff with them and disagree about loads of stuff. That's what friendships are all about, but it also means we can paddle our own canoe on matters that are important to us like taxes, immigration, laws, travel. We will align on some matters and diverge on others.

We will have a close relationship much to the annoyance, I guess, of some remainers who are always downplaying our future.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
You might at immigration when a B747 has just landed from Africa or Asia and they are checking passports and visas in detail and asking purpose of visit, how much money they have etc.
Every time I've landed coming back from Oz, via Asia... the EU line has been a lot longer than the "Others" queue... Perhaps something to do with Border Force managing their workforce... 10 desks open for non EU but only 2 for EU?

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Plenty on here doing just that.
Exactly. In many ways it will be easier since there are 23 countries using the Euro whereas I had to forecast, budget and sell etc. in a different (fluctuating) currency for each country. I had also to pay taxis, restaurants and hotels in their own currency so merely compiling my expenses claim forms was a PITA.
In addition our products had to be tested (with delays and considerable expense) and comply with the specific standards for each country (electrical safety, radio interference etc., etc.) instead of the current homologated E.U. Norms.
China and India have managed rather well to flood Europe with its E.U. compliant products.

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
No

Suppose I resigned from a golf club. That means I can't play golf there as a member but it does not mean that I can't still be friends with the members, go in for a drink or even play golf as their guest. I would still have a close association but would simply not be a member.

It does not have to be all or nothing. I expect we will agree loads of stuff with them and disagree about loads of stuff. That's what friendships are all about, but it also means we can paddle our own canoe on matters that are important to us like taxes, immigration, laws, travel. We will align on some matters and diverge on others.

We will have a close relationship much to the annoyance, I guess, of some remainers who are always downplaying our future.
The golf club analogy is quite ridiculous, however you seem happy to play at your golf club as a guest. This means payment to the club. I take it therefore that you would be happy for the UK to pay the EU for a certain degree of access to the Single Market.

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
The golf club analogy is quite ridiculous, however you seem happy to play at your golf club as a guest. This means payment to the club. I take it therefore that you would be happy for the UK to pay the EU for a certain degree of access to the Single Market.
At last! Yes. As and when we need it.

The analogy is sound.

Jan 14, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2007
The word ' may' is used several times in conjunction with a lot of aspects in this document from the Government re: travel etc. Its a guideline and things will be firmed up nearer to the day.
If they didnt issue this then people would be complaining that they weren't warned about the possible consequences of travel etc after the upcoming negotiation period and couldnt prepare.

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
At last! Yes. As and when we need it.

The analogy is sound.
I suspect that they would tell us to stuff our money if we did not align with them in the particular issue at hand.
We will see just how fixed they are on maintaining the integrity of the Single Market.

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
I suspect that they would tell us to stuff our money if we did not align with them in the particular issue at hand.
We will see just how fixed they are on maintaining the integrity of the Single Market.
Then we can do likewise. Tit for tat. As I keep repeating, we will agree on some and disagree on others.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
I see nothing there that is going to cause me sleepless nights. I've been when you had to have green cards and driving permits, had to stop at every border and carry loads of different currencies. This looks a doddle by comparison.

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
I voted to remain, but accepted the referendum results. I just wish the government would stop treating us like mushrooms ( in the dark and covered in sh*t).
I know that there are more important things for them to think about, but to a lot of people what they are going to be able to do next year, not in 10 years time is just as important.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
Exactly. In many ways it will be easier since there are 23 countries using the Euro whereas I had to forecast, budget and sell etc. in a different (fluctuating) currency for each country. I had also to pay taxis, restaurants and hotels in their own currency so merely compiling my expenses claim forms was a PITA.
In addition our products had to be tested (with delays and considerable expense) and comply with the specific standards for each country (electrical safety, radio interference etc., etc.) instead of the current homologated E.U. Norms.
China and India have managed rather well to flood Europe with its E.U. compliant products.
Very true but do you think they are suddenly going to be able to make the same products at the same price for our own diverged standards, a market one tenth the size of the EU?

OP
OP
Makingtrax
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
That's the only thing that bothers me. I have the IDL for France and Spain sorted and getting a green card is not a problem.
You'll likely need travel insurance, can't see the EHIC continuing.

Real shame . . the only international travel insurance that's free and doesn't penalise pre-existing conditions. Incredible really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back