New Dometic fridge with missing shelf (1 Viewer)

Vic. Parsons.

Free Member
Mar 2, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymermobil S740
Exp
since 2014
Hi folks.
Not posted on here for a while but thought I'd ask if anyone has bought a new Dometic fridge or fridge freezer recently and whether it had a missing fridge shelf like ours.
If so, what was the response from Dometic and if you asked for the missing shelf to be supplied (without having to pay for it) did you get it?
I ask because our brand new RMD 8505 (costing £1,369.00) arrived minus one shelf in the fridge compartment, ie, incomplete.
I've been in touch with Dometic through the retailer and asked them for the shelf but have been told that they only supply the fridge with 2 large shelves when it is packed in the factory. Nowhere in Dometic's advertising is there any mention of the appliance only being supplied with two shelves and there is also no document detailing the contents of the box it came in.
Looking through the operating instructions there are a couple of drawings clearly showing the fridge compartment with 3 large shelves and one small one at the top, including suggestions on what might be stored in the compartments created by the shelves.
I'm of the opinion that the fridge should be supplied complete and with what's depicted in the manual but I keep getting the confirmation that they only supply 2 shelves and my point about the illustrations in their instructions is not being addressed by them.
Here is the email forwarded to me by the retailer:

Good morning,
Thank you for your email,
I can confirm that the fridge is only supplied with the 2 shelves, extra shelves are available to purchase via our spares retailers.
All customers have a preference on how they would like to use the space inside their fridge some like to store 2 ltr bottles upright and find the space adequate others like your customer desire an extra shelf.
I hope this helps to clarify.

Kind regards
Customer Service UK
Customer Service and Technical Support Department

I
think this just clarifies that they want more money and that they don't listen to their customers!
Let me know what you think.

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
Yes they only come with two shelves, we had to buy the third. this subject as been covered before on here some where.:D

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
Our Dometic 8505 has got 4 shelves and 2 door shelves in the fridge and another shelf in the freezer. There is a drawer with separators under to lower shelf. Ours came with the Moho but we are the second owners so maybe the previous owners bought extra in the2 years they had it. They all look like originals though

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Vic. Parsons.

Vic. Parsons.

Free Member
Mar 2, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymermobil S740
Exp
since 2014
Yes they only come with two shelves, we had to buy the third. this subject as been covered before on here some where.:D

Yes, I thought that might be the case, just waiting to see if anyone got the third shelf without having to pay for it.
This is the illustration in their instructions:

Attachments

• P1050071.jpg
    P1050071.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 84

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
the last post i saw on this was a while ago, Extra shelf for Dometic Fridge if you type in the search should take you to it, i don't know anyone that got one for free.

OP
OP
Vic. Parsons.

Vic. Parsons.

Free Member
Mar 2, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymermobil S740
Exp
since 2014
So, the consensus seems to be that most want an extra shelf and all have to pay for it........well, that just sucks and I'm sure Dometic must be breaking some trades descriptions rules somewhere with their dodgy advertising.

the last post i saw on this was a while ago, Extra shelf for Dometic Fridge if you type in the search should take you to it, i don't know anyone that got one for free.

Thanks for the link. Had a quick look and some of the prices people were quoted are outrageous, £54.00 seems to be about the highest with £20.00 as the lowest. None of the prices strike me as fair since Dometic must have realized by now that the majority of customers have a preference for the extra shelf, so why not just include it? Seems like faulty logic or profiteering to me.

Last edited:

p-c

Free Member
Sep 13, 2013
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40 years
Hi
I believe if you bought the fridge through a retailer/dealer then your complaint is against them. Try them to make good what you bought and THEIR misrepresentation. Perhaps get help from local trading standards, ring them for their views. It might all hinge on what you ordered and specified.
Regards
p-c

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
We used a white plastic chopping board for our extra shelf, cutting where necessary with a saw. Works a treat.

Reactions: p-c

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
It very clearly states any extra shelves are OPTIONAL EXTRAS.

advertising pictures of cars show people inside but you don't actually get the people.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We bought an extra shelf
Was £40

OP
OP
Vic. Parsons.

Vic. Parsons.

Free Member
Mar 2, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymermobil S740
Exp
since 2014
Think I might just give up with the retailer and Dometic since neither are responding to emails any more. I'll make a shelf myself with some of the blue fibreglass panel I kept from the old fridge door.

advertising pictures of cars show people inside but you don't actually get the people.

Not seen that anywhere in the info that came with our fridge.
Did you see the operating instructions page I put above in 5. I think it's pretty clear what it shows and since it's part of the instructions supplied, if I wanted to follow their instructions I couldn't due to the missing shelf.
Perhaps car manufacturers will supply only three wheels with their cars and offer the fourth as an optional extra?

OP
OP
Vic. Parsons.

Vic. Parsons.

Free Member
Mar 2, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymermobil S740
Exp
since 2014
Hi
I believe if you bought the fridge through a retailer/dealer then your complaint is against them. Try them to make good what you bought and THEIR misrepresentation. Perhaps get help from local trading standards, ring them for their views. It might all hinge on what you ordered and specified.
Regards
p-c

I have been dealing with the retailer but they have now stopped replying to my emails. I think you're right though, it may be their description that is inadequate because it makes no mention of missing shelves or optional extra shelves. This is the description of the fridge freezer on their web page:

Broken Link Removed

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Last 2 vans our 8505 only came with the 2 larger shelves. Now if you buy a Carthago E-Line you get all 3. Now I did consider it but SWMO put her foot down at spending an extra £50,000 for a fridge shelf, I thought it was quite reasonable. So I had to waste my valuable time and make one from 6mm acrylic. :cry:

OP
OP
Vic. Parsons.

Vic. Parsons.

Free Member
Mar 2, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymermobil S740
Exp
since 2014
how much was the fridge £££££. ?

I understand your thinking but is it worth spoiling the new fridge for the sake of 20 quid with a bodged shelf ? .. it's only 1/4 tank of diesel

I know, but it's become a point of principal because i now just don't want to give Dometic any more of my money since I feel a bit cheated by them.

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
  • ee also other Dometic models in range:
  • Broken Link RemovedBroken Link RemovedBroken Link RemovedBroken Link RemovedBroken Link RemovedBroken Link RemovedFridge Freezers
  • Dometic RMD8505 3 way 160 Litre Camper Van Fridge Freezer
  • This Campervan Fridge Freezer model takes a full load!
  • Features of Dometic RMD8505 Camper 3 way Fridge Freezer
  • 3-way: 12 Volt DC, 230 Volt AC and LPG gas 30 mbar. Can be used on Propane or butane Gas.
  • Cooling capacity: Refrigerator +7°C at ambient temperatures up to 32°C
  • Separate Frozen Food compartment: 30 litres up to -12°C.
  • Broken Link Removed with electronic gas ignition
  • Dometic RMD 8505 replaces old model 7-series Dometic Broken Link Removed
  • LED Interior light
  • Door with magnetic seal and replaceable door seals
  • Broken Link Removed
  • Secure door locking with vent option.
  • User-friendly Broken Link Removed
  • LED display visible from the outside
  • Easy-care surfaces
  • Broken Link Removed ???????????? THIS SEEMS TO STATE WHAT IT SAYS, TWO SHELVES ONLY(y)
  • Ergonomic door shelves with leakage protection
  • For Camper vans and RV motorhomes.
  • NOT suitable for boats of any kind, if installed in a boat, the fridge will NOT be covered under the warranty. For boats please see our Broken Link Removed.
  • Dometic RMD8505 Camper Van Fridge Freezer come in left or right hand hinge.
    Please Contact Us to specify which way required.
  • Dometic RMD8505 fridge has a tilt tolerance of 6 degrees
  • See Broken Link Removed for Camper Van Fridge Freezer
  • Also for your Campervan Caravan, Broken Link Removed, Broken Link Removed, Broken Link Removed, Cramer Broken Link Removed and als

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Interesting to read the cooling specifications as it says fridge +7 and freeezer -12
Wouldn't keep my ice lollies frozen (n)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Not seen that anywhere in the info that came with our fridge.
Did you see the operating instructions page I put above in 5. I think it's pretty clear what it shows and since it's part of the instructions supplied, if I wanted to follow their instructions I couldn't due to the missing shelf.
Perhaps car manufacturers will supply only three wheels with their cars and offer the fourth as an optional extra?

It's there, in their email quoted below.

I have, in front of me, the owners manual for my car.
It shows operating instructions for climate control, I have basic air con.
It shows operating instructions for auto transmission, I have manual transmission.
It shows many other options I don't have... Should I contact the manufacturers and demand to know where they are and at what point they will be retro fitted at no cost to me

Good morning,
Thank you for your email,
I can confirm that the fridge is only supplied with the 2 shelves, extra shelves are available to purchase via our spares retailers.

p-c

Free Member
Sep 13, 2013
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40 years
Hi
As Kevan states in his post.
The link you supply in your post 18 does very clearly state 2 shelves. I do not think you have any case to demand a third.
Regards
p-c

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
I know, but it's become a point of principal because i now just don't want to give Dometic any more of my money since I feel a bit cheated by them.

One thing is for certain you can't take your principles down to the bank, why bother losing sleep over such a trivial matter, buy the extra shelf and enjoy your new fridge.

Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years

Somewhere in the smallprint there will be a disclaimer "" for illustrative purposes only"!!

OP
OP
Vic. Parsons.

Vic. Parsons.

Free Member
Mar 2, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymermobil S740
Exp
since 2014
  • ee also other Dometic models in range:
  • Broken Link RemovedBroken Link RemovedBroken Link RemovedBroken Link RemovedBroken Link RemovedBroken Link RemovedFridge Freezers
  • Dometic RMD8505 3 way 160 Litre Camper Van Fridge Freezer
  • This Campervan Fridge Freezer model takes a full load!
  • Features of Dometic RMD8505 Camper 3 way Fridge Freezer
  • 3-way: 12 Volt DC, 230 Volt AC and LPG gas 30 mbar. Can be used on Propane or butane Gas.
  • Cooling capacity: Refrigerator +7°C at ambient temperatures up to 32°C
  • Separate Frozen Food compartment: 30 litres up to -12°C.
  • Broken Link Removed with electronic gas ignition
  • Dometic RMD 8505 replaces old model 7-series Dometic Broken Link Removed
  • LED Interior light
  • Door with magnetic seal and replaceable door seals
  • Broken Link Removed
  • Secure door locking with vent option.
  • User-friendly Broken Link Removed
  • LED display visible from the outside
  • Easy-care surfaces
  • Broken Link Removed ???????????? THIS SEEMS TO STATE WHAT IT SAYS, TWO SHELVES ONLY(y)
  • Ergonomic door shelves with leakage protection
  • For Camper vans and RV motorhomes.
  • NOT suitable for boats of any kind, if installed in a boat, the fridge will NOT be covered under the warranty. For boats please see our Broken Link Removed.
  • Dometic RMD8505 Camper Van Fridge Freezer come in left or right hand hinge.
    Please Contact Us to specify which way required.
  • Dometic RMD8505 fridge has a tilt tolerance of 6 degrees
  • See Broken Link Removed for Camper Van Fridge Freezer
  • Also for your Campervan Caravan, Broken Link Removed, Broken Link Removed, Broken Link Removed, Cramer Broken Link Removed and als

Well that's really funny, they have obviously been watching this thread and have very recently changed the wording to include 2 in the above.......shame on them!!!
Here is a screenshot I downloaded earlier........just in case:whistle:
upload_2018-8-14_18-2-50.png

OP
OP
Vic. Parsons.

Vic. Parsons.

Free Member
Mar 2, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymermobil S740
Exp
since 2014
Here's the original link taken from my bookmarks for the RMD8555, just click on RMD8505 for their unaltered page:

Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
Vic. Parsons.

Vic. Parsons.

Free Member
Mar 2, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymermobil S740
Exp
since 2014
Hi
As Kevan states in his post.
The link you supply in your post 18 does very clearly state 2 shelves. I do not think you have any case to demand a third.
Regards
p-c

Try the link above, the one I posted earlier has been doctored but I don't think they can change this one ........but I might be wrong :sneaky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back