New Carthago Chic C Line I 4.9, an issue ! (1 Viewer)

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Short while after a gap of many years.
there should be nothing different about washing a Carthago to any other van

Well - thank you for that - that's why I'm asking the Carthago owners and it seems there might be? looking at Roberts post below yours.

I will not be making the washing and polishing a ritual - more just a necessity to keep the paintwork / coating in best condition.

Last edited:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Well - thank you for that - that's why I'm asking the Carthago owners and it seems there might be? looking at Roberts post below yours.
Might be worth starting a thread "how to wash a Carthago" and then people could feel free to contribute without fear of hijacking the original post.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I don't use wax on mine as there is a tough clear coating on top of the paint

I use a foam as a pre wash, then use Autoglm wash, which I apply with a soft, long handle brush

I also wash the roof every time

Hope this helps

Thanks Robert - what is the Foam pre-wash? make etc. please?

I imagine your treatment has stood the test of time and conditions given your many and varied travels.

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Might be worth starting a thread "how to wash a Carthago" and then people could feel free to contribute without fear of hijacking the original post.

Martin

Good idea as it might be - I do apologise for possibly hijacking this post - however I would imagine that the OP will appreciate this subject as much as me and the other recent owners?

I know - lets just start a section Carthagos' and N&B's and Autotrails etc. eh! what do you think?

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Thanks Robert - what is the Foam pre-wash? make etc. please?

I imagine your treatment has stood the test of time and conditions given your many and varied travels.

I wash the van before every trip (about 6 times a year)

I remove bugs while travelling using Tuble Dryer sheets and water - lifts off bugs quickly and easily. I then wash the windscreen with a drop of car wash in a little water. Takes about 10 minutes in total but keeps the front of the van spotless and the view through the windscreen crystal clear

I use this as a pre wash.
It helps to soften the dirt and makes cleaning easier
$_57.JPG

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SNOW-FOAM...832152?hash=item1c50367b98:g:oiIAAOSwdU1W-9HX

Then I was with Autoglym car wash (with built in wax)
$(KGrHqJHJC!E+Z6TqhnvBP4foFVThw~~60_12.JPG

I tried using Bobby Dazzler, but found it left nasty white marks on the windows, so don't use it any more.

I break the cleaning into 3 steps - over 3 days (cos I'm getting old)

Step 1 - Roof
Step 2 - Wheels and wheel arches
Step 3 - Bodywork

When I took the van back for its first service, I was told by the service dept that the van looked as good as it did when it left the showroom - praise indeed

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
WOW!! - what an answer Robert - very many thanks - I will follow your suggestions and hope I get the same comment from my dealer when it goes in :)

I think your answer is going to be a hard one to beat! Fellow owners - I hope this helps you guys (male & female) too!

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Like @Robert Clark I now use snow foam first (after reading the Detailing threads on here by @Charlie) then wash with Autoglym.
I recently waxed with Colinite and have to say that the bugs come off the front much easier since. The van hasn't been washed since waxing but will be done in the next few days. It will be interesting to see if it's any easier to keep clean.
Roof only gets a very occasional wash with a long handled brush from the wobbly top of a step ladder.
Windows and screen get a final clean with Autoglym Fast Glass and wipe down with microfibre cloths.

Richard.

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Like @Robert Clark I now use snow foam first (after reading the Detailing threads on here by @Charlie) then wash with Autoglym.
I recently waxed with Colinite and have to say that the bugs come off the front much easier since. The van hasn't been washed since waxing but will be done in the next few days. It will be interesting to see if it's any easier to keep clean.
Roof only gets a very occasional wash with a long handled brush from the wobbly top of a step ladder.
Windows and screen get a final clean with Autoglym Fast Glass and wipe down with microfibre cloths.

Richard.

Thanks - more good advice.

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Do you snow foam with a pressure washer then hose it off before drying? I do that on the car but thought the pressure might blow the foam/water through the motorhome window seals and fridge vents.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Do you snow foam with a pressure washer then hose it off before drying? I do that on the car but thought the pressure might blow the foam/water through the motorhome window seals and fridge vents.
I never use a pressure washer - the snow foam lance attaches to the hose pipe

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I never use a pressure washer - the snow foam lance attaches to the hose pipe

Oh - now you've introduced another thing Robert - not sure what that is?? Am guessing its got a container that water flow draws foam from?

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie

Never let the snow foam solution dry on the paint or bodywork.

Spray it on let it dwell for several minutes them hose or pressure wash it off.

I know I keep harking on about making sure the solution in the lance bottle is weak but make sure it is ! This will not only save product but will massively reduce the spotting . If you are getting spotting you are mixing to strong !

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Thanks Robert and Charlie - looks like I'll be back spending on ebay again later :)

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I use a pressure washer but on very low pressure.
The spray lance can be twisted to change the pressure on my Karcher and reducing it and keeping a good distance from the bodywork means it shouldn't cause any damage to seals and windows.
Areas like wheels can have a stronger blast if needed.
For the foam lance pressure isn't a problem.

Richard.

Norman Jones

Free Member
Jan 13, 2015
Nr Aberystwyth
Funster No
MH
A class, Hymer 620 mli
Exp
since 1982
Our new Hymer has got tV aerial wiring and an aerial like that on the roof, so do you reckon we could get terrestrial TV?
Should have kept our little avtec out of the old van to check it.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Our new Hymer has got tV aerial wiring and an aerial like that on the roof, so do you reckon we could get terrestrial TV?
Should have kept our little avtec out of the old van to check it.

We get good reception for terrestrial tv on our Hymer, and we've got no dome or dish. I've never seen an aerial, but I suppose there must be one? :confused:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We get good reception for terrestrial tv on our Hymer, and we've got no dome or dish. I've never seen an aerial, but I suppose there must be one? :confused:
Its inside the roof I've only just found out about it, you need a TV with 5 volt aerial power and need to enable it in the settings, as the aerial has a booster in line with it powered via the co-ax cable.
Our Cello Traveller has it so I'll give it a try.

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
Its inside the roof I've only just found out about it, you need a TV with 5 volt aerial power and need to enable it in the settings, as the aerial has a booster in line with it powered via the co-ax cable.
Our Cello Traveller has it so I'll give it a try.

We have been trying to find this info so thank you :)

We have a hew hymer, what piece of kit did you buy to plug into the cable?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We have been trying to find this info so thank you :)

We have a hew hymer, what piece of kit did you buy to plug into the cable?
As I said my tv has a 5 v output for powering the aerial, not tried it yet as we have a sat dish, I didn't know it was there until speaking to another Hymer owner last week, Hymer don't mention it anywhere.
His dealer wanted to fit an aerial on the roof he put the dealer straight. Dealers don't realise it is there as it won't work unless its powered.

Last edited:
May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
We bought our van from Germany, and the dealers knew about it, because they fitted the tv and told us we didn't need a dome. We know it works well, we just didn't know how!:)

Peter Sansom

Free Member
May 22, 2015
peebles
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
A relative newbie...ex caravanner
We collected our new Carthago C-Tourer last week from Elite, and couldn't work out how the tv was working so well without an aerial. Elite weren't sure themselves, but after digging around I have found that the radio aerial via a powered amplifier is also the TVs aerial, and it's working fine in the wilds of Herefordshire at the moment. One thing to make sure of is that your tv can supply power to the signal amplifier though, as there is a setting on the tv menu specifically to do this. When you switch it to "off" the picture on the TV disappears. The van itself is absolutely superb I have to say. It's bigger inside than the Chausson it replaced, although the outside measurements are smaller. How do they do that?
I reckon Dr Who has branched out from just doing Tardises (or should that be Tardae?) into the moho market...more money in it...innit!

OP
OP
PJGWiltshire

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Well although this post is now a split between soap suds and my experience of an initial handover. I am happy to report that the dealer, Premium in Doncaster, were just fantastic in the resulting work. The T V station was wired in as agreed and the TV arial is built in above the cabin area. Why Carthago do not leave a 12vpick up point as well as the TV arial as standard as described is beyond me. 2000 w inverter switched to the 240v t system for £650 was a bargain with a gas BB Q point for £150 not a bad result

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Well although this post is now a split between soap suds and my experience of an initial handover. I am happy to report that the dealer, Premium in Doncaster, were just fantastic in the resulting work. The T V station was wired in as agreed and the TV arial is built in above the cabin area. Why Carthago do not leave a 12vpick up point as well as the TV arial as standard as described is beyond me. 2000 w inverter switched to the 240v t system for £650 was a bargain with a gas BB Q point for £150 not a bad result
I have heard they are very good, Premium not Carthago:LOL: anyway good to get the chance to post positive feedback.

Martin

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
So the dealer has now done what you said they were going to do in your first post. Glad it's all sorted. :):):)

OP
OP
PJGWiltshire

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
So the dealer has now done what you said they were going to do in your first post. Glad it's all sorted. :):):)
Indeed once we agreed a way forward there were no problems. My issue is that the manufacture are the issue. The dealers need to point the failings out and therefor the customer are left in an agreed position. We are spending a great deal when we buy these units and we just do not want to be left with a bad feelings in the mouth. All is well. Good luck to others

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2015
Whitchurch, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E-Line 50
Exp
Since May 2011
I know this is an old thread but....

I've just bought a new Chic C Line T 4.9.
It's got a 19" Alphatronics TV on the Quick Up system. Does it have a satellite receiver built in? I can't find a menu option for it so I'm assuming not.

I want to fit an Oyster/Cytrax satellite system (motorhome is apparently pre-wired for satellite). How does that link to the TV? Does it need a separate satellite receiver? Also want to take a feed to to a TV in the bedroom. It was easy with an Oyster/Caro Digital system in my previous motorhomes because that included a satellite receiver box and a separate RF feed to take to a second TV, a bit like a Sky box has.

The Cytrax seems different. Any advice appreciated.

Mike.

Anthony OysterTech

Oyster Satellite and Wifi Technical Service
Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
Hi mike,

The way to tell if the Alphatronics TV has Satellite capability is to check the inputs on it. If it has a screw in aerial connector as well as the normal push in RF on it then it does have Satellite TV capability.
It then doesn't matter which Oyster system you decide to choose. You will just need the Oyster/Cytrac Vision III system which will feed from the Oyster brain unit directly into the Satellite input on the TV. The only time that may ever differ is if you have a Twin system as you can utilize the other cable directly into the TV instead. The twin system however is normally used if you have 2 different TV's to connect to or are using an STB with PVR capability.

Apr 15, 2015
Whitchurch, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E-Line 50
Exp
Since May 2011
Thanks Anthony, I've discovered the TV hasn't got a satellite receiver. I will be fitting a Cytrac dual LNB system and will probably get a Humax Freesat box. The second LNB feed will eventually be routed to a second TV in the bedroom at the rear of the van. It's probably the most convenient way to do things and, for the price difference between a single or twin LNB set-up I may as well have the flexibility of the twin.

Thanks again

Mike

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back