New Carthago Chic C Line I 4.9, an issue ! (1 Viewer)

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
For any would be buyers of Carthago motorhome in particular the Chic C line.

We have just taken delivery of our new pride and joy Chic C Line I 4.9 and what a beast it is too.
But just for any people looking at such model or have ordered something in the Carthago range and await delivery, a quick heads up.

We researched our vehicle, the Chic C line 4.9, looking at the Carthago on line web site and obtaining a cataloge, visiting Southdown Motorhomes and having a look at the them at the Newbury show. Subsequently we negotiated a fantastic deal from a different dealer than at Newbury, having been introduced to them by a fellow Funster, and ordered said vehicle.

In all the reading material and on the web, within the list of items fitted as standard around the TV, the following phrase is used.:

TV:

TV connection set in back rest of the side bench on the passenger side

Optional: "Quick-up" 19" TFT pull-out system behind the side seat backrest for watching television in comfort at a convenient eye level. system pivotable

This above same phrase is used within the book containing the optional; extras

Within the optional extra listed is

Article No.

"Quick up"

· "Quick-up" TV pull-out system incl. connecting kit · 19" LED screen, pull-out system rotatable

210400 SPECIAL PRICE package £860

Your price advantage £380 (package weight: 14 kg )

As I had a 19” Avtex TV, I did not want to pay out the £860 for another TV as well as the Quick up system, all we wanted was the 'Quick up' system that the TV would be housed within. Again the dealer came up trumps and said he would instal this unit.

Well collection day last Monday, nice and shiny and smelling all new. As usual debit card payment wouldn’t go through. To much in one transaction but all sorted so off we drive.

Wednesday comes and day to reload all the bits into the van.

Go to instal TV. Yes it fits but no 12 v/ 240v supply to TV nor arial socket in location as described in Standard features nor when looking on roof, a TV arial.

Speak with dealer who then outlines that he was unaware that there was no connections as described and it is necessary to pay for the additional fittings as extras including TV arial for roof. I pointed out why would I want a TV housing unit in the location specifically designed by Carthago when there is no power to the TV

I pointed out that all the printed material was in breach of the Consumer Rights Act 2015 and as I ordered the Motorhome over the telephone and no Vehicle contract was ever signed, The Consumer Contracts Act applies and I had the right to return the vehicle immediately as 14 days had not past and was entitled for a full refund.

The dealer has been placed into a nightmare position by Carthago in that the description of the supplied goods clearly outlines a TV connection point within the vehicle. No such connection point is installed unless ordered from factory at a cost or installed by the dealer at a cost.

Stand your grounds on this. If you are not told that these items are not as described in the literature you have full redress under the Consumer Rights Act 2015

My dealer has agreed to install the power connections and arial as I would have returned the vehicle to him leaving him with a used vehicle to sell, I may have bought it back of him if the price had dropped?

That reminds me need to take pic and change Avitar

OP
OP
PJGWiltshire

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
I would not be happy, in fact I think you are calm!

Its amazing when you are in a position to give the vehicle back and there isn't a thing they can do about it. The new Act is a nightmare for the vehicle industry. Even issues of faulty bits when you buy a new MH. The dealer says he needs to get authority from the maker under warranty. No this is not correct, the dealer is obliged to repair the item its nothing to do with the manufacturer, Its nothing to do with the warranty. If you have any issues within 30 days its down to the dealer. Even as in my situation once you let them know there is a fault or issue the clock stops until the repair is carried out. So after 2 days I notified them of the issue. The vehicle goes back in three weeks the clock for the 30 days starts from the repair date. If it is then still faulty give them the keys back end of story.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Its amazing when you are in a position to give the vehicle back and there isn't a thing they can do about it. The new Act is a nightmare for the vehicle industry. Even issues of faulty bits when you buy a new MH. The dealer says he needs to get authority from the maker under warranty. No this is not correct, the dealer is obliged to repair the item its nothing to do with the manufacturer, Its nothing to do with the warranty. If you have any issues within 30 days its down to the dealer. Even as in my situation once you let them know there is a fault or issue the clock stops until the repair is carried out. So after 2 days I notified them of the issue. The vehicle goes back in three weeks the clock for the 30 days starts from the repair date. If it is then still faulty give them the keys back end of story.
Well done! I don't buy new so I'm never in your position but I've always been amazed at what a buyer of a new vehicle will put up with. Until more buyers invoke their rights things will not improve.(y)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I think you are over reacting and being unreasonable. Carthago do not offer the Quick up package without the TV and your dealer has done you a big favor by fitting it. If you didn't ask for power to be installed the dealer hasn't done anything wrong, it is what I would have expected if it was me as I wouldn't want to pay dealer rates for a job I can easily do myself.
Carthago, Hymer and other German vans have never offered an aerial option so why would you expect one, they expect you to have the satellite option.

OP
OP
PJGWiltshire

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
I think you are over reacting and being unreasonable. Carthago do not offer the Quick up package without the TV and your dealer has done you a big favor by fitting it. If you didn't ask for power to be installed the dealer hasn't done anything wrong, it is what I would have expected if it was me as I wouldn't want to pay dealer rates for a job I can easily do myself.
Carthago, Hymer and other German vans have never offered an aerial option so why would you expect one, they expect you to have the satellite option.

Its not the point of asking for the power supply. Carthage state :
TV connection set in back rest of the side bench on the passenger side.

From their own literature they give the impression that the connections are in place and i can then just plug in a TV. Yes I was willing to buy a 'Quick up' box (which is available as an extra without a TV) and the dealer supplied this Free of charge, I was just bringing to the attention of any prospective Customers of Cathargo that there is a misrepresentation set out by the company that the TV power connections are pre installed.

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Short while after a gap of many years.
Congratulations Peter! and I'm pleased that Premium Motorhomes in Doncaster are sorting out your problem with the TV.

For the benefit of others - I can also confirm from personal experience that this dealer will do his best to sort out any issues and does offer a very good service.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I can understand your frustration, however I believe that in a month or two, you'll look back at what is probably going to be just a insignificant blip in the long timeline of your van ownership.

This is a minor issue that can and will be resolved

Don't let it spoil your enjoyment of what is one of the most highly regarded Motorhomes on the market.

OP
OP
PJGWiltshire

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Indeed this has not put me off the MH,we love it. I am just someone that having expected something as standard from Carthago now has put the dealer in a position that they are liable under consumer law. The point of the post was to highlight to anybody who are or may engage in a purchase of a Carthago an issue that one may expect to be installed as standard by the manufacturer only to find it is not

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
It is worth highlighting this issue so that hopefully others are not caught out, so thank you for that.

I will add that the wording on the Carthago web site is confusing and some of this may be due to translation, it seems like the 19 inch TV option descriptions mention "TV connection" whereas the 22 inch description specifically say "pre wiring".

Martin

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Go to instal TV. Yes it fits but no 12 v/ 240v supply to TV nor arial socket in location as described in Standard features nor when looking on roof, a TV arial.
If you have a radio fitted then you almost certainly do have a TV antenna.
Whether it is connected to the TV area or not is another matter.
This is the only antenna we have fitted apart from the satellite dish and we get excellent terrestrial TV reception.
Incidentally, the radio reception is the best we have ever had in a motorhome.
Note to other manufacturers who don't seem to be able to supply radio antennas that work, there is a steel plate fitted as a ground plane.
As the other Clarky @Robert Clark said, just enjoy your new van and have fun.

Richard.
IMG_1568.jpg

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
TV connection set in back rest of the side bench on the passenger side
The above statement doesn't mention connection points either aerial/power only that it is set into back rest of the side bench, how did you get them on that one ?

OP
OP
PJGWiltshire

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
The above statement doesn't mention connection points either aerial/power only that it is set into back rest of the side bench, how did you get them on that one ?
I just pointed out the word connection. Looking at the area described for TV there are NO connections. If the literature was to state. 'Ideal area to mount TV, connections required' it would be clear that there are no services at that location then either a DIY effort or an agree installation.
In any case we are very satisfied with the end result and look forward to using the van.
Perhaps the wording has been lost in translation but the dealer should have known that this is an issue and pointed out that the van is sold without such connections. We could then make an informed decision

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
From what I understand, the literature does not form part of any contract.
It probably says elsewhere may differ from country to country and errors and omissions excepted.
So it nay cause a problem trying to decide what should be supplied in a new Van.
Perhaps there should be a check list at time of order ?
Everything aside, it seems that items you would expect as standard are a payable optional extra, e.g. 12v plugs in habitation area.
I applaud your dealer, he seems to be taking the sensible option.
Enjoy your new Van :)

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
We collected our new Carthago C-Tourer last week from Elite, and couldn't work out how the tv was working so well without an aerial. Elite weren't sure themselves, but after digging around I have found that the radio aerial via a powered amplifier is also the TVs aerial, and it's working fine in the wilds of Herefordshire at the moment. One thing to make sure of is that your tv can supply power to the signal amplifier though, as there is a setting on the tv menu specifically to do this. When you switch it to "off" the picture on the TV disappears. The van itself is absolutely superb I have to say. It's bigger inside than the Chausson it replaced, although the outside measurements are smaller. How do they do that?

awg

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 9, 2013
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
WIldax Altair RS
Exp
Since 2015
When we collected our C-tourer last July I as told by the technician that the tv aerial was mounted behind the front bumper. We get a good quality picture when it works but too often the signal is not strong enough and the picture gets very blocky. Not an issue since I went for an Oyster satellite dish so I could get satellite internet.

Allan

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I find it best to sort out a fair compromise leaving neither side feeling "had"

Bad feelings can linger longer than warranty terms

Does the Avtex fit the pull up TV bracket without fouling the connections? many don't

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Sounds like Carthago. Every is a plus and it gets worse as ownership continues . We've owned ours for 20 months now and its is starting to keep together. At the start it was trying to self destruct and everything was dropping off it. For the price they are I definitely would not buy another or recommend to anyone. My aerial is fitted inside the wing mirror yours may also be there. Good luck with everything.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
And it's a rusty steel plate, my mate @JonP had the same problem.:)
They changed mine for a nice new aluminium one when I went in for service - no more rust now!
Bad material choice on the first instance

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I find it best to sort out a fair compromise leaving neither side feeling "had"

Bad feelings can linger longer than warranty terms

Does the Avtex fit the pull up TV bracket without fouling the connections? many don't
The cables are attached to the pop up piston so rise and fall with the TV -no fouling that I can see

awg

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 9, 2013
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
WIldax Altair RS
Exp
Since 2015
Sounds like Carthago. Every is a plus and it gets worse as ownership continues . We've owned ours for 20 months now and its is starting to keep together. At the start it was trying to self destruct and everything was dropping off it. For the price they are I definitely would not buy another or recommend to anyone. My aerial is fitted inside the wing mirror yours may also be there. Good luck with everything.

Only had ours a year and agree everything seems like an optional extra. However we've had virtually no problems with ours and I'd definitely recommend them to others.

I suppose it's all about the percentage of good vs bad experiences so I thought I'd just record we are in the "good so far" camp.

Allan

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
They changed mine for a nice new aluminium one when I went in for service - no more rust now!
Bad material choice on the first instance

Been meaning to get up there and paint mine with Hammerite but out of sight ..........etc.
Is aluminium as effective as steel as a ground plane?
If so I might get them to change mine before the warranty runs out.

Richard.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Been meaning to get up there and paint mine with Hammerite but out of sight ..........etc.
Is aluminium as effective as steel as a ground plane?
If so I might get them to change mine before the warranty runs out.

Richard.
Hi Richard
The new plate seems fine to me
I'd certainly prefer it to the steel one as you can't be sure it's not rusting underneath.
As a fervent roof cleaner I noticed it pretty early on and had a replacement ready and waiting for my first service.
I also had the pop up system replaced as one of the runners was not holding properly, causing the TV to be a bit wonky.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
We don't seem to have an aerial on our Hymer, either. We bought it from Germany, and had the TV fitted by the dealer. We're not great TV watchers, and the dealer told us we didn't need a dome. We were a bit sceptical, but we get perfect reception, and all the channels - but we're not technically minded, and have no idea how it works - it just does.

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
We don't seem to have an aerial on our Hymer, either. We bought it from Germany, and had the TV fitted by the dealer. We're not great TV watchers, and the dealer told us we didn't need a dome. We were a bit sceptical, but we get perfect reception, and all the channels - but we're not technically minded, and have no idea how it works - it just does.

We have what looks like arafio ariel on the roof of our hymer. Would that be the TV one? If so does it just plug into the cables? We have only had ours a week so not sure if all hymers come with them.

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Short while after a gap of many years.
As there are a few Carthago owners contributing to this thread - what is the general consensus for the best detergent wash (or otherwise) and best polish to use from your collective experiences please for these vans? I think its about time I gave mine its first wash and polish :)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
As there are a few Carthago owners contributing to this thread - what is the general consensus for the best detergent wash (or otherwise) and best polish to use from your collective experiences please for these vans? I think its about time I gave mine its first wash and polish :)
It depends how seriously you want to take your washing and polishing, there should be nothing different about washing a Carthago to any other van so I would suggest possibly having a look in the "motorhome detailing" section of the forum.

Martin

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I don't use wax on mine as there is a tough clear coating on top of the paint

I use a foam as a pre wash, then use Autoglm wash, which I apply with a soft, long handle brush

I also wash the roof every time

Hope this helps

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back