Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
peak power of 91hp from a 1800cc lump? :giggler:

Can't get more retro than that, 50bhp per litre.

But when it comes to music, last year I was next to a Honda 350 six replica at Donington. It was like someone held an angle grinder to my ear drums. I've never experienced such a sound.

Tchaikovsky would have used it in one of his pieces if it had been around at the time.

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Can I take a guess it's for the electronics rather than the mechanicals ?
No, more the mechanicals. Engine, rear shaft box. Very expensive if it ever goes wrong. Handlebar switchgear was changed under initial warranty.

I have thought about selling it sveral times but the next time I ride it it talks me out of it. Grin from ear to ear. The only bike I have never wanted to sell.

Once this is all over I will have to let my head rule my heart but I will have to be somewhere else when it's collected.:cry:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
No, more the mechanicals. Engine, rear shaft box. Very expensive if it ever goes wrong.

That's sad. BMW stood for quality, engineering excellence. A big six engine in a bike should last for ever though I could understand transmission problems with that massive torque.

My only experience of their decline was on the F650 forum where the motor went down hill when the Chinese started making it.

hayabusabart

Banned
Feb 13, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Burstner T615
Exp
since 2014
I debate with myself, Spain or Italy. I think Italy wins on the basis of more variety as go from country to country. It's a close thing.

Italy was this year, in fact in two weeks, but something has got in the way.
we did Italy in 2017 on a Pan. Stayed in nice little hotel on lake Como then onto Lake Garda. Lovely roads but a shame about the Italian drivers.. they are maniacs. Then back through Mont Blace tunnel and France.
No such trip this year I guess.
IMG_9487.JPG

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
A gang of us did Lake Como last year. Bonkers riding from some of the locals on scooters or bikes along the single-track lakeside roads. Wall to wall traffic and they nipped through the slightest gaps. Impossible on my K1600 even if I had the skill or guts to do it.

hayabusabart

Banned
Feb 13, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Burstner T615
Exp
since 2014
A gang of us did Lake Como last year. Bonkers riding from some of the locals on scooters or bikes along the single-track lakeside roads. Wall to wall traffic and they nipped through the slightest gaps. Impossible on my K1600 even if I had the skill or guts to do it.
David. the locals are totally nuts.. riding around in just shorts, tee shirts and sandals..
The place we stopped in was called Hotel Fioroni in Carate Urio.
It was only 2-star and carpets quite threadbare too
but right on the waters edge. Food was excellent.
It is George Clooneys "local" as he only lives up the road. Several photos of him adorn the walls alongside the proprietor Guiseppe (see one attached)
As you can see Clooney is also riding his bike in jeans, tee shirt and no gloves.. who can blame him?
IMG_9469.JPG

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
wouldn't fancy filtering on that thing.. look at the pots!
And yet you filter with those luggage boxes on the side? Probably wider than the BeeEm, I know most after market panniers make the bike wider than my Wing which makes me smile when I hear other riders say that you can't filter on a Wing.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Tchaikovsky would have used it in one of his pieces if it had been around at the time.

DAMN !!

I've just been on YouTube and what is in the middle of the offered videos - Tchaicovsky.

We can't do anything without being monitored. I did a Google to check the spelling, that's all it takes.

BonnieCat

Free Member
Dec 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
I had a BMW R1200R and it was a piece of poo. Bought it new and had quite a few problems with it. The final straw was the engine had to come out to fix an oil leak. Bike only had 12000km on the clock and 2 years old. Sold it and bought a Triumph T120
Now have a Speedmaster but my favourite bike is my awesome, do everything well and reliably VStrom 650. It took me 8000km to the Nordkapp without a single problem.

BonnieCat

Free Member
Dec 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
I had one. Boring and under-powered, but brilliant bike! I was quite upset when I sold it.
I would imagine 2 up it would be underpowered but just myself it’s powerful enough. Mine is a keeper and because it took me to the Nordkapp I’m quite attached to it. I’ve heard a lot of people regretting selling theirs. Get another :cool:

Lucky

Free Member
Nov 9, 2019
Limousin France & Yorkshire UK
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 600XV
Exp
Since 2016
I've got a K1600GTL. Magnificent engine. Straight six 1649cc. Exhaust note is fabulous. Looks good, handles well and goes like stink so I'll not be chopping it in for an 1800 any time soon.
Funnily enough I had one too in 2012/3. The engine is absolutely the best part of the K16 and the exhaust, especially with after market silencers, sounded like a Ferrari. Well it did to my ears. ?

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back