Need help please. (1 Viewer)

Adam1989van

Free Member
Jul 19, 2021
Funster No
MH
Kontiki swift 1989
Hi guys, so I have bought a motorhome kontiki 1989 swift. I've noticed that smoke comes through to drivers part and under inspection there is no black box thing that prevents the smoke coming in. Firstly where can I get this and maybe what is it called?
Also noticed that im missing a outside tap cap or section as it just has a temporary cover covering the hole.

Are these easy things to find as I have no luck looking.

Thanks for having me as its all very daunting.

Adam

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Yes, we do need photos.

I am not sure what you mean about the black box :(

What is the hole that a temporary cover? Fuel, water, something else? If we have a photo we can point you in the correct direction for either a replacement or if there is no replacement available how to repair so a newer part will fit.

Oh and :WelcomeFlag:

OP
OP
A

Adam1989van

Free Member
Jul 19, 2021
Funster No
MH
Kontiki swift 1989
Wow incredible replies so quick I really appreciate that. Sorry I didnt specify its where the water goes. Thank you

also another picture there is where the sky light is im sure it looks somewhat broken in my opinion
20210719_092932.jpg

Attachments

• 20210719_092932.jpg
    20210719_092932.jpg
    572.7 KB · Views: 139
  • 20210719_094008.jpg
    20210719_094008.jpg
    643.7 KB · Views: 142
  • 20210719_092947.jpg
    20210719_092947.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 145
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Welcome.
The filler cap is missing. You can get replacements
Broken Link Removed

The socket above it with the plastic cover is a 12v socket to power a submersible pump to transfer water from a portable Aquaroll water container. You don't need to do that but can fill the onboard water tank using a hose or watering can.

Can't help with your 'black box' but there shouldn't be smoke coming out the engine anyway. It looks to me as though part of the fresh air/ventilation ducting is missing.

I don't see anything wrong with the skylight. I have the same one and it just 'snaps' shut and needs some force to pull it down.

If you bought it from a dealer take the m/h back for these things to be sorted.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
:hiya:
It does look like there is an engine cover missing but I cannot say what. The water inlet cap should be easily replaced from somewhere like O’Learys . The rooflight should have bits of plastic in the handles, that you squeeze in to retract plastic lugs that hold it down. All these plastic items tend to break but again you should be able to find a replacement online.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hole in engine bay..... Lift the flap and if it doesn't stay in place secure it with something.
As already said, there shouldn't be any smoke in the engine bay

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I can't help with the engine thingy but what Riverbankannie and Spriddler said for the water cap and the roof light.

I'm not sure what your base vehicle is but if you don't have any type of warranty you can take it to a garage and get them to have a look at the engine part as it will be a standard van under the bonnet and any missing parts are probably available. When we had our ancient Hymer we had a mobile tuning service come and look at it which was money well spent.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
The engine air vent has a complete part missing.If you look at the photo you will see 4 x 6mm threaded studs attached to the body around the flap .there should be a right angled plastic box attached to the studs & open at the top with large rubber seal that seals against the bonnet grille shown i n upper part of picture, & where the cold air is drawn in.

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Can't help with your 'black box' but there shouldn't be smoke coming out the engine anyway. It looks to me as though part of the fresh air/ventilation ducting is missing.
To explain my suspicion about missing ducting...........

There are four studs around the vent which I think should retain some ducting, plus whoever removed it appears to have splashed some white paint over that area. (Oooops, my post crossed with Gus's explanation).

Ducting.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
If it was a private deal the seller might still have these bits, don't see any reason to remove it apart from he might have mended a bit of rust and couldn't be bothered to put it back.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I’ve tried hunting eBay but can not find the correct part. There is someone selling “complete heater system” but it doesn’t include the duct. It may be worth messaging them ans ask if they have the bit you require. Other than that you will have to try vehicle breakers.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
OP
OP
A

Adam1989van

Free Member
Jul 19, 2021
Funster No
MH
Kontiki swift 1989
Wow guys what a response. I am just working at the moment and will get through the messages, but already I cant stress how much of a help you guys are!!

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Your skylight might have parts missing - the handles should have black parts you squeeze to pull 4 little legs in to lock closed or release to open. Without them they vent will pop open on it's own as you drive. Having said that MPK and Heki rooflights look similar but with little differences.

Can't guarantee but looks like this.....

<Broken link removed>

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Your skylight might have parts missing - the handles should have black parts you squeeze to pull 4 little legs in to lock closed or release to open.
Maybe that's a more modern arrangement. The one in my Compass c1995 doesn't have any locking parts, snaps firmly shut and has never flipped open.
CIMG2218.JPG

CIMG2219.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Adam1989van

Free Member
Jul 19, 2021
Funster No
MH
Kontiki swift 1989
Hey good morning guys thankyou for the responses i think i slept like a baby without the worries of certain things which is nice.
so I had a very productive evening. The water cap is ordered, thankyou for putting me in the right direction guys for that, dp+Jay I think the ebay guy you gave me has what I need regarding the black box also which is great, I think its more smell coming through rather than smoke to the drivers cabin. So that should help wonders just waiting on the price from him.
As for the sky light I dont think the skylight is broken at all but under is a sliver rim that screws in (uploaded picture) i just thought maybe something attached to it perhaps.

Thanks adam

Attachments

• 20210720_084240.jpg
    20210720_084240.jpg
    281.3 KB · Views: 26
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Thats where a drop down fly screen will go. It’ll have been attached at one side and able to drop down to open and close the roof light. .
It looks like the type of pop up air vent we had on a previous MH.

Jul 25, 2017
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 185
Exp
Since2012
The guys are correct the ducting is missing bringing clean air into heater system. I think you are getting fumes in from the engine bay due to this ducting being missing
Good luck and enjoy 👍

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
should be a duct fitted to the bonnet which base model is it? set it to recirculation should stop the fumes for now

OP
OP
A

Adam1989van

Free Member
Jul 19, 2021
Funster No
MH
Kontiki swift 1989
Thats where a drop down fly screen will go. It’ll have been attached at one side and able to drop down to open and close the roof light. .
It looks like the type of pop up air vent we had on a previous

Something like this

Glad the rest not broken and that you feel a bit happier about sorting things.
Seriously.. just like that. Wow! Thanks.

But yes under closer inspection is it normal for some smoke/steam to come from where the spark plugs are at all?

Also call me stupid but ive found the dipstick (ironic I know) I cant see where I put the oil in and what would you guys recommend as for which oil to use? Sorry so many questions!

Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Should the water filler cap not have a cover similar to the electric hook up one ? If water gets in the pump connector above it it could cause a problem. In the short term I would just cover the plug somehow.

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
But yes under closer inspection is it normal for some smoke/steam to come from where the spark plugs are at all?
No. Unless water/rain has entered via the ducting missing from the bonnet and settled on the engine. There may be a cooling/heater hose leaking among other things..
Also call me stupid but ive found the dipstick (ironic I know) I cant see where I put the oil in and what would you guys recommend as for which oil to use? Sorry so many questions!
Once you have determined exactly which engine you have you'll be able to get a manual for the base vehicle if you do a Google search like this - open link below:

Broken Link Removed

P.S. You are at the limit of your free posts so need to subscribe (£15) to be able to carry on posting. You've saved far more than that already!!

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back